Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics W T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... More 
Start   711 to 720 of 1858   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Are food stamps in MN income-based alone or do they have an asset component?

A retired person can be income-poor but asset-rich.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
"A Minnesota couple has been charged with taking more than $160,000 in state welfare benefits while living in expensive homes and controlling bank accounts that contain hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"These rich folks ripped off the system," said Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.

Andrea and Colin Chisholm, of Deephaven received food stamps from 2005-2012 according to court documents despite living in a lakeside home. The couple, who own an 83-foot yacht and a seaside home in Florida had nearly $3 million in various bank accounts according to court documents."

How in the hell does someone who lives in a suburban lakeshore home, has hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, owns a yacht and a second seaside (it's an ocean, dammit) home in FL qualify for food stamps?!?

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3949 posts)
I just think codifying a tax in the constitution is crazy. The authority to collect a tax is one thing, but to specifically levy a rate?

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
re: The school contract.

Someone pointed this out. If Wiki is to be believed, the term "African American" did not come into use until the mid-1980s.

"When did people start using the terms Native American, Asian American and African American? Certainly not in the 1970s, when in these ethnic groups would have been referred to, respectively, as Indian, Oriental (or just simply "Asian") and Colored (or possibly Negro). If Ferndale was using the terms in this sentence in the 1970s, it was way, way, way ahead of the curve. I suppose it's possible that they updated the terms for more recent contracts, but if that's the case, then it means they read the sentence in question"

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
"Do you foresee a situation in the future where 3/5 of both legislative houses in Illinois, the Governor, and the public all would support a repeal? "

Not in the foreseeable future, not in Illinois. I am a little impressed that people want to actually change a Constitution, instead of just pretending it means something that it obviously doesn't.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17446 posts)
A blast from the forum past:

"Illinois took the unprecedented step of dramatically increasing taxes in Jan. 2011, retroactive to Jan. 1. This increased the personal income tax from 3% to 5% (a 67% increase), and the corporate income tax from 7.3% to 9.5% (a 30% increase). This was supposed to generate an additional $6 billion to cover some of their $13 billion deficit. Increased social spending programs were supposed to reduce Illinois' unemployment rate from 9.0%. "

Update! 03/12:

"A new report released by Auditor General Bill Holland reveals that the net financial position of Illinois state government activities continued to deteriorate and the deficit increased by $1.2 billion from FY12 to FY13.

Overall, the net position of governmental activities is reported as a deficit of $47.8 billion."

The unemployment rate has plummeted from 9.0% all the way to 8.7%.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
In principle, yes.

Do you foresee a situation in the future where 3/5 of both legislative houses in Illinois, the Governor, and the public all would support a repeal?

Put another way - do you think Illinois's people and government would ever overwhelmingly support a tax cut for millionaires? No. They'll be stuck with it forever. Results be damned.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
If they can vote to put it in their Constitution, I would imagine they could vote to remove it.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17446 posts)
I'm not really addressing taxation rates, more like the concept of writing them into the constitution. I can only guess the reasoning is to cement it in place so solidly that no election outcome will ever be able to change it.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20469 posts)
They recently put "water run off tax" in place here. Basically its a tax on how much impermeable surface you have. So if you happen to own a business with something crazy like a parking lot you get significant tax added to all the other goose-killing taxes. (ie they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs).

Not counting accounting fees and sales taxes I'm taxed at about 57%. I'm also not counting property taxes on my personal property, I really just don't want to know.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2816 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... More 
Start   711 to 720 of 1858   End
TOPIC: W T F