Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics W T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 1880   End
User Details are only visible to members.
That part was common to most armies.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20532 posts)
You left out the part about the Red Army having no qualms about shooting any of their own who did not press forward.

Fight or get shot by your commanders.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3978 posts)
Let's also get one thing straight:

The primary reason the Soviets eventually succeeded in defending themselves against the German army was the sheer number of bodies they had available to throw away. And that's definitely how they saw their soldiers. The kill rate on the Eastern front was vastly in favor of the Germans. It had nothing to do with the USSR being awesome and even less than nothing to do with communism being awesome.

It was not uncommon to have 1 rifle (or less) available for every 2 men. If you didn't have a rifle, you ran out there anyway, and just waited until one of your comrades was shot, picked up his rifle, and kept going. The plan generally included a 50% casualty rate. This is staggeringly high compared to virtually anyone else.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20532 posts)
Wifelover: I believe you were posting statistics and they don't match the ones I've seen. Hence my question: Where did you get your information?

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2816 posts)
Well this thread took an interesting term. I think the long and short of it is that Germany opened war on too many fronts. Germany really could have kept Russia out of it and possibly made an ally of them. That would have been a game changer.

Its easy to hindsight it but basically Germany was in the same position the US is now. The big untouchable bad ass of the world and happened to have a psychopathic leader who believed all the people blowing smoke up his ass.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2816 posts)
I have no doubt that the First Nation to build a nuclear weapon would have used it immediately, be it the US, UK, USSR, Germany or Japan.

If Germany hadn't lost most of their best scientists fleeing Germany I think they would have almost certainly beat the Allies to a nuclear weapon. Had this happened early enough in the war (say, 1943) we would probably be living in a very different world today.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20532 posts)
Trying to stay out of Politics, but just because it's the WTF thread, and I have an interest in the topic...

WifeLover, there are numerous sites to discuss/learn about the German/Russian theater of WW2.

Research the Battle of Kursk. Germany delayed the battle for a number of reasons, not the least of which was to wait to produce their newer/better weapons- including Tiger tanks. That gave the Red Army time to amass lower tech anti-tank weapons. Far easier and cheaper to produce than the more advanced German armor they opposed.

The Red Amy fielded more anti-tank weapons there than had ever been assembled up to and since that time. It was the last time Germany was able to make an attack on the scale that had produced so many of their victories to date.

The Allies in the west buried the Germans with sheer numbers of lesser armor (Shermans) while the Germans could only build a few of their more advanced weapons with the dwindling resources they had. Not to mention the Tiger tanks were an open field weapon- ill suited to the conflicts within the cities.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3978 posts)
Germany was closer to nuclear weapons than a lot of people would like to admit. And they had the delivery vehicle in the V-2.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17438 posts)
"I choose to speculate on how things would have gone had Germany stayed out of Russia and concentrated all its muscle on the West. Russia would have stayed out, and defeating Germany would have been a great deal more difficult and prolonged for the USA and Britain, and the other allies in the effort."

I would agree it was Hitler's biggest blunder and would most likely have prolonged the war and might have even ended in a negotiated treaty, except for one thing. That "thing" would be the atomic bomb and war with Germany would have ended only a few months later then it actually did.

Cape Coral FL
Username hidden
(4121 posts)
I think you're right sexy.

Christoval TX
Username hidden
(226 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 1880   End
TOPIC: W T F