Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ... 752  Next »
91 to 100 of 7517
User Details are only visible to members.
Hahahaha.

I got the same thing from the CFO at my school of all people.

I was projecting enrollment by individual standardized test score. So same thing. Send her the spreadsheet and she says, I can't do projections based on 1/10 of a student at XXX score.

Fuck. I can kinda understand a lawyer not understanding, but you are the fucking CFO. You are supposed to understand numbers...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23034 posts)
tbr - not 30 minutes ago I was dealing with a lawyer who couldn't understand a calculation in a life care plan I was editing (I hate these). It included an estimated once per 5 years wheelchair replacement, from ages 17-80, $5,000 a pop (unadjusted). Now of course these are estimates, we don't know the guy is going to live to 80. Just estimates.

So - OK. Age 17-80, once per 5 years. That's 0.2 annually x ((80-17)+1) x 5000 = $64,000. (The reason is that this is one line of many, and these are formulae in a spreadsheet).

He began saying that this means wheelchairs at age 17, 22, 27, 32, 37, 42, 47, 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77. So that's 13 x $5,000 = $65,000.

"Right. So one wheelchair every 5 years = 0.2 wheelchairs per year, on average"

"You can't buy 0.2 wheelchairs,"

"I'm not suggesting you can. This is an average annual expenditure."

"I don't think you can do it that way. And here where it's 0.5 per year for something that's every 2 years... you can't buy half a wheelchari ramp..."

OMFG.

I don't buy 1/7 of a tank of gas at a time either, but that doesn't mean I can't calculate a daily cost of gas if I go through one tank a week. What the hell?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29000 posts)
Oh please, Current. There aren't many people here besides me that can rival you when it comes to being condescending and insulting. I'm not reading the rest of your post - I am done with that specific topic.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29000 posts)
VA,

Your criticism wasn't solid enough to get under my skin. You didn't really 'get" what I was trying to say but I'm not going to even raise the possibility of insulting you by suggesting I think that makes you stupid. It's a matter of perspective.

As has been pointed out, salary and compensation aren't synonymous. As I pointed out, CEO pay and the aggregate pay of all the executives and management of a company are not the same thing. I would also point out that $65 billion dollars in profit, or whatever amount it was, is not a static figure. You are focused on the salary of the CEO verses a particular record annual profit. I am focused on the bigger picture. The fact, say, that if out of Pfizer's 86,000 employees 5% work as executive managers in finance, sales, whatever, and those five percent get total compensation packages in salary and stock options (a real cost to the company - read the shareholders) amounting to $250,000 each, you're now talking about a billion dollars. Now re-do the math and tell me if that gets lost in the rounding (ie amounts to less than a tenth of a percent of the total) of the company's financial statement.

There is a culture of egotism and self promotion among all sorts of elites including, but not limited to executives in most large corporations. It seems to go something like this: 'Fred is making how much? That guy is a clown. I need to be paid twice that!" This culture of elitism also pervades faculty in higher education, congress, even non profits. Pretty much anywhere someone's compensation is decided by some sort of board. A couple of examples: Decades ago I got persuaded to give a small monthly stipend from my paycheck to the local United Way chapter. Until it was revealed that, in addition to his salary, the local chapter president had a $135,000 annual discretionary expense fund that he used for travel, entertainment etc. His unabashed explanation was that he needed to move easily in the same circles as his "important donors". Funny what happened when all us tens of thousands of "unimportant donors" took offense at this. In another more recent example of this group think, a headhunting firm polled corporate boards on their thoughts as to how they felt their CEO should be compensated relative to other companies. The, perhaps not surprising answer was "Above average". Now contrast this sort of touchy feely, collegial, theoretical group think against what they would expect from a CEO or CFO that they hire: Namely a brutal and unflinching view toward the expendability of every single rank and file employee of the company if their elimination or outsourcing could enhance the bottom line.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2337 posts)
That is really what i find so fascinating about people, and one reason I became a social worker.

The examples are endless. The gas example, voting behavior, spending habits, relationships. There is almost no limits to how some people will delude themselves.

We used to have a lot of family poker games. Almost every weekend. It used to frustrate me to no end when a family member would come to the game and say, "I have to win tonight or I don't have gas money for the week..."

WTF are you doing here, then? Of course, I would make it my mission to break them, so they really didn't have gas money. I'm kinda a bastard that way...

But they always managed to get to work the next week.

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23034 posts)
Mrs. VA has noticed my building frustration with people in general over the last couple of years and composed a hypothesis. For a very long time I spent my time around other scientists, people who thought like I did and could follow these arguments, people who lived and died by numbers and understood these things.

For the last now almost 8 years I have been withdrawn from this environment and this has removed my outlet to have discussions with people who I can relate to. I get very little of this from my current work. Well, sometimes with the guys at the FBI, but not often. I get to USE my math and reasoning in my job, but I am rarely challenged on it, and when challenged I have never lost.

So yes I'm impatient, and you could describe me as an arrogant intolerant prick. Ok. I'd rather talk about something else like boobs, cycling or . I need to stay out of topics like this; they will earn me nothing but isolation.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29000 posts)
I guess I cannot understand why people can't realize that basic arithmetic will save them from countless bad decisions in life. People will not go to the doctor because they can't afford it, but then blow $150 on a night out drinking. They post on facebook that they can't afford gas from their $1,000 iPhone.

Every time the price of gas goes up you see some idiotic poll about people cancelling their vacations because of the high price of gas. A fairly extreme example is from mid-2007 when gas prices were up around $4 a gallon from what was $1.50 pre-Katrina. A WNBC/Marist poll showed that 55% of Americans were either canceling their vacations altogether or altering their plans due to the price of gas.But does this make sense with the math?

If you're driving 800 miles for a vacation, and your car gets a shitty 20 mpg, that's 40 gallons. At $2.50 a gallon above and beyond the $1.50 a gallon 2 years earlier, your cost of your vacation went up $100.

55% of Americans will cancel or alter a vacation over $100? If your vacation budget won't accommodate a $100 gas bill, I argue that you couldn't really afford a vacation, could you? No. $1,000 a day at Disney for a family of four, no problem, but the $10 extra in gas to get there? Fuck that....

The world belongs to people who can do math and more importantly know what to do with it. I've said this before. Either learn it or get steamrolled by someone who did.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29000 posts)
I would actually look at CEO pay not in relation to total revenue, but individual possible income from other sources.

In many cases the compensation for these guys is inflated to obscene levels. Yeah, I know, what is obscene?

Compensation is often (or maybe it is just the guys we hear about) largely stock options. This gives the receiver a perverse incentive for short term gain at the expense of the long term health of the organization or society at large.

So the guy is not going to give up a $10 million (or whatever) stock option by making a decision that negatively affects the stock price, even though it may be the right thing for the long term.

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23034 posts)
I dislike that jalapeño and don’t believe it worth a penny. That jalapeño’s ass ain’t on the line when it comes time to eat and it’s just been taking a free ride in my basket because The grocer places it there without my consent.

Just sayin’. :-)

~Allen

Charles Town WV
Username hidden
(3163 posts)
Current, this isn't directed at you so much as you just happen to be the most recent person to set me off on the topic. So, this isn't completely personal.

"I follow your math VA, but I don't like where it leads, so here's a general complaint about the cost of health care..."

I don't care how many enemies it makes me, I refuse to bend to this sort of warped thinking that you choose to ignore a mathematical certainty just because you find it unpalatable. It's obviously not just you - look down this thread. It blows my mind how smart people can be so illogical and blind when it comes to the inability to accept undeniable and provable truths that they "don't agree with". I may not agree that it's 75 degrees outside, or I might not like it, or maybe I can't even explain it, but no amount of how I feel about it is going to change it. I can't just deny it just because I don't like it. (although actually, I rather do like it)

To blame your $200 cart full of groceries on the TEN CENT (0.05%) single jalapeno in it is stupid. There's no nicer way to say it. It's just stupid. This is the reality, and no amount of not agreeing with it (or changing the subject) is going to change it. This is what the CEO of Pfizer is to the cost of Pfizer drugs - a $0.10 jalapeno in a $200 cart of groceries. I am not going to entertain the argument that that jalapeno is the reason (or even A reason) the groceries are so expensive anymore. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

I am beyond done on this topic. As tbr would say, I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29000 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ... 752  Next »
91 to 100 of 7517
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.