Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ... 562  Next »
731 to 740 of 5617
User Details are only visible to members.
There's a difference between Gardasil and these others, because HPV isn't something that just flies through the air infecting people like measles does. HPV is a behavior-based virus.

However, for the life of me I can't think of a reason for young girls not to be given it.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
I'm a middle of the road girl on vaccines. The big ones? Oh hell yes my kids have them. Flu? no. I see way too many people who get the shot who still end up with the flu because it is a different strain or whatever (a friend who had the shot had the flu 3 times last winter WTF???) where we haven't had the shots in years and we haven't. We just try to do germ spread prevention and our kids are very healthy so if they got the flu it most likely, while not a fun thing to have, just mean they were a bit sick for a few days, not life threatening like other things. The other one I draw the line at is my girls will not be getting gardasil.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(20871 posts)
Well obviously the only way a previously eradicated disease can come back is if someone brings it in, but the people getting sick (beyond the initial case) are largely unvaccinated people who are already here.

In some parts of ultrahippie California the rate of "no vaccines for my kid" is as high as 20%.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
@VA: Many of these diseases are resurfacing due to people coming into this country who had not been previously vaccinated. This is not a bash on immigrants but it's true.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
NJ oh ok. Yeah a very mild form of the disease in question (such as flu) is not unheard of for some vaccines, although serious problems from it are extremely rare.

Basically re: the flu vaccine (and I distinguish this from others like MMR, polio, etc which are practically perfect) it's a risk vs benefit thingy. I think we get each other - if the benefit improves enough than yeah I'll take the risk no problem.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
Vaccinations are one of the very few areas where I overrun my libertarian leanings and I don't give a rat's rear end who objects to what.

The only other "option" to vaccination is non-vaccination. Thanks to fools who chose that we now have diseases back in our lap that were virtually eradicated.

I am sorry to anyone who might have made such a choice and is upset at me calling them a reckless fool, but when it comes to that decision I think that's exactly what they are.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
VA: i am not anti vax. i *am* anti flu vax--cause it's a guess at a moving target. if the day ever comes when there's a guarrrrronnnnteeed one size fits all (like chicken pox, MMR, etc., yada) then i'll do it.

and re: the shedding? i had 3 friends (parents) get sick after their kids had the "live" nasal spray a couple years back.

and, 2 of the 3 kids got the flu that year.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(9884 posts)
Correction: Parents should be given options.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
I've never had a flu shot. I am not against vaccinations for children. In fact, I am in favor but parents shouldn't be given other options.

Likewise, I am not taking a shingles or pneumonia vaccine.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
What is "shedding"? The only stuff I can find on this is on whacko anti-vaccine sites.

I don't get the flu vaccine shot because the rate of guessing the strain to make the vaccine for isn't too good, and I'm lazy and hate needles. If the day comes where the hit rate on this is better I certainly will do it.

A "universal flu vaccine" (one that permanently (or at least long-term) vaccinates against any strain) is thought to be perhaps 5-15 years away. Whoever succeeds with this will save tens of millions of lives and will certainly be one of history's heroes.

(I really hope you're not one of these anti-vaccine people...)

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ... 562  Next »
731 to 740 of 5617
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.