Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ... 732  Next »
721 to 730 of 7319
User Details are only visible to members.
"So perhaps you could put in a few delicate brush strokes of your own..."

No, I don't think I will.

I believe I'll just leave that sort of talk to the Rembrandts such as you. There's quite a slew of those around here. Lol

Albeit most of them do have the decency to keep the putrid political demagoguery, artistic and otherwise, over in the proper place.

But that's just me talkin'.

Tramp

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(5720 posts)
"I'm certain that African Americans everywhere would appreciate it greatly if you'd carve out a few more brushstrokes to educate them on what else they might do to avoid idiocy."

It's not about African Americans Tramp. It's about my perception of anyone so obviously acting against their self interest. I feel the same way about poor working white people. Though at least it's obvious that their buttons are being pushed. The Democrats are going to take away their guns or give their job to a brown person.

Or the Hispanic satellite technician who re-tweaked my dish last December. I respectfully verified that he was of Mexican descent during listening to him talk about why he voted for Trump for twenty minutes. He did mention when I asked him about the whole, you know, Mexican thing, that his brother thought he was a complete idiot.

So perhaps you could put in a few delicate brush strokes of your own and tell me, in your own words, why the hell you think an African American or Hispanic person would vote for Trump? Or, if you're uncomfortable talking about race, for that matter why anyone below the ninety fifth percentile of income would vote for anyone who advocated tax cuts for the wealthy in lieu of sustaining Medicare? Yep. This seems myopic to me too. Myopically and monumentally stupid.

I freely admit, it doesn't concern me for myself. It does concern me for a fair number of my friends. And it sincerely baffles me. So please enlighten me.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2102 posts)
"folks don't you believe this about antibiotics"

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

We are always going to be in a war where infectious bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics. There are things we can do to retain the upper hand and slow their evolution. Rotating moratoria on certain antibiotics will help. So will avoiding unnecessary scripts for things like colds.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28572 posts)
major WTF moment .........folks don't you believe this about antibiotics ......and stop asking your doctors for medicines when they are not indicated.

"The antibiotic resistance crisis has been attributed to the overuse and misuse of these medications, as well as a lack of new drug development . . ." You want to avoid at all costs MRSA, VRE, CRE and a host of other alphabet-like diseases. According to JIDC "MRSA kills more Americans each year than HIV/AIDS, Parkinson’s disease, emphysema, and homicide combined." Read that again, COMBINED.

VA you know I am not picking on you - I know, you know all of this front and backward. Never a bad time for a PSA ;)

Oak Ridge NC
Username hidden
(4782 posts)
Oh, and -

Re: why some plans cover such things....

For the same reason many doctors write scripts for antibiotics when you have a cold or a flu - to get you out of their office and make you think you're doing something beneficial. It's comparatively cheap and very low risk (because it doesn't actually do anything) and if it makes you think you're doing better, OK.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28572 posts)
There is some evidence that acupuncture can provide some short-term pain relief, although sham acupuncture (having an untrained individual just poke you wherever, or at non- acupuncture points) provides the same effect, but even then it's probably placebo. The major reason this can be concluded is because the result is not dose dependent - i.e. The patient reports the same improvements no matter how much acupuncture they get. If they've been poked - 1 time or 50 - the right or the wrong places - they report the effect.

To provide placebo-based "therapies" is simply fraudulent and unethical. If you doubt me, consider this:

I could sell you some magic beans that I promise will make you solve crosswords better if you have them in your pocket. So you buy them and put them in your pocket and voila - you're smarter. Thank you, Dr. Quackenfucker!

Except I sold you a lie, didn't I? Even if the placebo effect can bring about a measurable change, it's still a lie. It's still fraud.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28572 posts)
VA do you think these hospitals are using "alternative / Western" therapies (acupuncture specifically) for the placebo effect? One of our local hospitals uses acupuncture in their oncology department for pain management. If I recall correctly, Wake Forest Baptist recently published an article regarding acupuncture proven benefits.....specifics escape me.

Oak Ridge NC
Username hidden
(4782 posts)
James Randi set up a fantastically controlled experiment with volunteers and some balance bracelet assmunch to demonstrate that the effect is entirely placebo. Basically if the volunteer thinks they should (or should not) fall over, they do (or don't), regardless of what the object is attached to them or circumstances presented.

It doesn't make them stupid. It makes them gullible. Humans are very, very gullible.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28572 posts)
I agree with you VA. There are people that you should be able to trust.

A doctor and his wife invited us to their home to watch the Superbowl one year. It turned into a sales pitch for magnetic bracelets to counteract electronic pollution from cell phones. For proof, they showed how easily you could be put off balance when you were holding a cell phone up to your ear. Sure enough, with a cell phone in your hand it was easier to be thrown off balance. I exchanged the cell phone with a ballet slipper for some kind of control. Once again, it was harder to balance. My husband thought that I was very rude to challenge what they said when they had been such lovely hosts.

It's unfortunate when doctor's give baseless medical advice because of tradition rather than fact but heinous when it is merely for profit. I see that as theft.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(1172 posts)
But some of these are prestigious medical facilities and university hospitals. People trust them. They do not expect them to sell you pills to realign your messed up qi, using the defense that it's what customers want rather than good medicine. What utter horseshit.

I feel so alone at times like this....

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28572 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ... 732  Next »
721 to 730 of 7319
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.