Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  11.1  12.1  ... 570  Next »
72 to 81 of 5698
User Details are only visible to members.
From the "Fucktards on Parade" file.....

Johns Hopkins University is one of a handful of colleges that doesn't include first-semester grades for freshmen on their transcripts. They receive grades, but they don't count for anything. The custom was intended to ease students into university life, but officials are worried it encourages laziness, and have plans to abolish it. (Related: Oberlin Students Want Below-Average Grades Abolished, Midterms Replaced with Conversations)

That isn't sitting well with activist students, who have organized under the banner "Re-Cover Hopkins." Not only do they want the university to return to its policy of discounting first-year grades, they want the administration to apologize for daring to change it:

"Freshmen are immediately subject to grade deflation and a cutthroat culture which has been fostered by the administration in its lack of urgency to implement a remedy. Hopkins students experience anxiety, depression, and suicide at high rates which cannot continue to be tolerated for the sake of competitive academic performance.

Students from low-income backgrounds, first generation students, students struggling with mental health, students with disabilities, international students, and sexual assault survivors—as well as students whose experiences exist at intersections of marginalized race, gender, and sexuality—are disproportionately affected by the policy change."

Erica Taicz, a student and Re-Cover Hopkins organizer, told The Baltimore Sun:

"I've heard a lot of feedback from parents and the administration that kind of makes it feel like we are just trying to be coddled, and it's not it at all," Taicz said. "I'm paying so much, I expect to be able to be critical of that service when it doesn't support me.

"I'm paying to have a support network, academically and mentally. I can't be expected to do well in class if I'm depressed and have anxiety. If the school is worsening my anxiety, that's their problem and they need to be held accountable for that."

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
WFT What happen to our Sir he's been MIA now for a few weeks Oh dam first cowboy Tom ,now Sir WTF is going on ,

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(6588 posts)
I thought it was a bread??? I'd shoot a thousand gorillas to same a child.

Hanford CA
Username hidden
(98 posts)
I thought PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals...

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1027 posts)
Sounds like the same tactics that the supermarket rags use. Report whatever they want to sell their papers and worry about the fallout later. They make their money on lies. questionable information, ect. and let their legal staff handle any problems cause by their actions. Sort of like the trolls on various forums. They say what ever they want knowing that they are safe because no one knows anything about them.

Honolulu HI
Username hidden
(239 posts)
True story:

I lived in Chesapeake, Virginia (not far from Norfolk, worldwide headquarters of PETA). Now, whatever you may think of PETA, they did some outrageous stuff sometimes. Living in their backyard made us locals more acutely aware of it than others would be. This actually happened before we moved there, though.

One time they paid for a billboard (I think just one) of NYC mayor (at the time) Rudy Guiliani (who had recently been diagnoses with prostate cancer) with a milk moustache (drawn on) and the words "Got Prostate Cancer?", followed by in smaller print "Drinking milk causes prostate cancer."

This became a big news story. A lot of people (including me) thought it was a total fuckwad thing to do for so many reasons, such as taking a public figure and turning his personal misfortune into their news story.

I almost never get pissy enough to actually write to anyone, but I wrote to PETA. Ingrid Newkirk herself wrote back to me. This was a long time ago, but to the best of my recollection, she said they "didn't intend to bring any bad attention to the mayor" (more like just didn't care) and that they "don't have funds like multinational food corporations do, so our only way to make our message reach people within our budgetary constraints is to make a big of a splash as possible to get the attention of news outlets who then will spread their message for them."

Same idea.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
"WTF is throwing blood or meat gonna accomplish?"

It got it in the news. I think that was the only intention.

Sometimes people who have a bone to pick with society (whatever it might be) have, shall we say, limited budgets. Being persuasive is expensive. Being outrageous is, comparatively, not.

They got more worldwide coverage with $50 worth of meat than they ever could have with advertising and mailer campaigns.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
SMH -Effing asstards.

If I wanna inspire someone to become more veganish I invite them over for dinner and shove good food in their face (sometimes with some pussy for desert). Most people ask for my recipes afterwards (for the food, not the pussy)

WTF is throwing blood or meat gonna accomplish? Besides, who wants to clean that mess outta the sheets?!

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3498 posts)
A bit of context - apparently some restaurants have been targeted by vegan activist groups throwing blood on people etc. this is a thing in Georgia, I guess.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
A vegan cafe in the historic center of Tbilisi (Georgia) was forced to cancel an English-language video screening over the weekend when a group described by witnesses as far-right extremists threw meat into patrons' vegan dinners and started a brawl.

The staff at Tbilisi's Kiwi Cafe called police on the evening of May 29 after more than a dozen men carrying meat attacked restaurant customers and staff.

The clash spilled onto the street outside and neighbors joined in the brawl -- some reportedly fighting against the restaurant's staff and customers, as well as the meat eaters. Minor injuries were reported.

The attackers fled before police arrived and no arrests were made. Police briefly detained some cafe staff members for interrogation.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  11.1  12.1  ... 570  Next »
72 to 81 of 5698
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.