Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ... 579  Next »
701 to 710 of 5784
User Details are only visible to members.
"I know a lot of liberal/progressive people who think PC has gone too far in many ways."

Absolutely. Unfortunately they are not driving things as much as the nutballs are. People are less likely to call out nutballs when they happen to be politically aligned with them, rather than call them out.

Correction- nutballs still don't drive a lot, but like today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal, today's nutball becomes tomorrow's enlightened individual.

This has been increasing on college campuses for a long time now. Generally, liberal nutball ideas become more common in your ultra-liberal places first. These are not really all that nutty in Canada.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
"Today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal."

Not necessarily. A lot of times some fucked-up fad comes and goes on its own. Sometimes it goes away as a result of it going too far and sensible people reacting against it. I know a lot of liberal/progressive people who think PC has gone too far in many ways.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13019 posts)
The majority may not care, but they can't have yoga on campus now because they've been taught that it's oppressing... someone...

tbr - I know you say that "nobody cares" in California, but googling California campus cultural appropriation bring up TONS of hits for Stanford, CSU San Marcos, UC Irvine, UC Davis, and many others. The schools have these same kind of online guides scolding those who practice "cultural appropriation" and do not understand that it is a 'microaggression towards students of color" and a "subconscious exercise in white supremacy". The majority center around Cinco de Mayo events and Halloween. For some reason St. Patrick's Day is not included in the list of days that white people are bad.

Today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal. This is how this stuff comes creeping in... slowly.. in small doses... becoming more and more "normal". One day you'll wake up and realize it's everywhere. I don't normally agree with Andrew's wild ass conspiracy theories but this one is happening.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
CALIFORNIA sounds like the bar scene from, "STAR WARS". All chiefs and no Indians.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2708 posts)
Yeah, these people are going a bit overboard. But although we see lots of stories about this stuff, the great majority don't care.

My Korean boss goes to yoga on campus with one of our white staff and the class is taught by a Japanese woman.

That's one thing I like about California. For the most part, no one cares where you came from, what kind of food you are eating, who's culture you are mimicking, or who you are fucking.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19779 posts)
Some things are just fucked up. But people usually come to their senses at some point.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13019 posts)
I remember learning about cultural appropriation in college. I felt like I was looking at the emperor's new clothes. Everyone was nodding their heads and agreeing while I was dumbstruck.

The concept goes against everything that I know. When cultures meet, there is a cultural exchange. We adopt the things that are good. Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery? Our cowboys got their horses from Spain and we got our number system from the Arabs. In return Spain adopted the tomato and Ireland the potato.

To me, it is a sign of true acceptance when another cultural aspect is adopted. It seems to me while an Indian yogi may bemoan the fact that the focus in the West is on yoga for excercise rather than spiritual enlightenment, the widespread acceptance of yoga could also open doors to the spiritual aspects of yoga.

I have also heard the controversy over accepting traditionally African hairstyles. It seems that it is easy to offend. I get so confused. My dad has kinky hair. During the 70's, he let his hair grow into a big halo of hair (or fro.) I suppose that is cultural appropriation. Cutting his hair every 8 days and styling it to look like regular Anglo hair with lots of product is better I suppose but then is it trying to distance himself from African Americans and avoiding any possible association?

Women used to be ashamed of big booties. Now women are getting Brazilian butt lifts and butt and lip injections. Is that cultural appropriation or is it embracing a wider range of beauty standards. I hear the protest over professional appearance standards that don't take into account African hairstyles but I also hear protests when Anglos adopt the hairstyles for whatever reasons. Well, for better or worse, the two go hand in hand.

It seems that if we distance ourselves and refuse to adopt any other cultural influence we are xenophobic, isolationist, and snooty but if we adopt other cultures we are culturally appropriating. I feel like I can't win. Is that the point?

Irving TX
Username hidden
(881 posts)
This is the ultimate end of this kind of thinking, where we have to consider all current and historical contexts for every little stupid thing we do or say. So many people get behind it at first because it makes them feel like they are worldly and enlightened, but then when it reaches its conclusion they realize how stupid it was.

My workout this morning included a few yoga-ish stretches in it, and I didn't feel the least bit racist or like I was oppressing anyone. Should I feel guilty?

Here's the funny bit from the rest of that article that I didn't see at first that is a nice icing on the cake - at first the school was going to allow a compromise where it was to be called "thoughtful stretching", but then they couldn't agree on an appropriate French translation that was culturally sensitive enough, so they canned it.

Touché. Yes, I appropriated that, but it's from other white people so it's ok.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
Damn it, I guess we can't go to that sushi restaurant we like and we will have to stop eating at Cleo's the great little Mediterranean place around the corner. And rabbit is wondering what sexual positions we will need to forego because I'm sure we "appropriated" a few of those from other cultures.

SMFH (I probably should't use that since I appropriated it from the millennials)

~scamp

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3936 posts)
Btw the term "cultural appropriation" has appeared a lot lately, and this kind of shit is ruining everything. It's the adoption of cultural practices which are not one's own (such as white people wearing dreadlocks, or white people doing yoga, or....well, every example I've seen is white people. Black people can apparently wear suits with no consequences.)

Cultures have been adopting each other's practices for as long as they have been in contact with one another. This is so fucking stupid. I had to put up with an idiotic Facebook post from a family member explaining that white people doing anything not white enough was outright racism, flaunting that one is white and nobody can stop them from stealing other cultures practices because white people have a history of violence.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ... 579  Next »
701 to 710 of 5784
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.