Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ... 579  Next »
691 to 700 of 5781
User Details are only visible to members.
Where the heck is ol' Robert? Haven't seen him around in a coons age...

I'm with Fun on this. I think a lot of the reporting on these issues is overblown. I work at one of the largest CSU campuses, and the only thing we have had that comes close to that was a recent email from the campus police.

It seems that a female student had been sexually assaulted in a parking structure, IIRC. The email cautioned women to make sure they were aware of their surroundings.

There was a small group of faculty, staff, and students that took offense to the wording, because while cautioning the female students to be careful, the email did not tell the male students not to sexually assault.

OK. Point taken. There have been one or two other emails in a similar vein (not unusual when you have 40,000 young people in a small space), and they have not admonished females to be cautious, or males to keep their hands to themselves.

The whole "protest" was over in a couple of days, without anything really happening...

These kind of things happen all the time. But there are thousands of other yoga classes that continue to function on college campuses.

You are pointing to an exception to try to prove a point.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19767 posts)
You're welcome. Where is that weenie, anyway? I saw a couple of posts in Politics but mostly, he's been quiet lately.

My favorite is his insistence that cashier's drawers tell them what coins to dispense and they are weighted to know exactly what coins are missing i.e. if you give out two nickels instead of a dime, your register will know and you will face disciplinary action. He should publish that theory in "Frontiers in Absurdity".

I'm happy to see that this yoga story is all over the news, especially Canadian news, and the reaction is (mostly) ridicule.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25107 posts)
VA is absolutely right. The things that we believe are right and just are beginning to be seen as evil.

I was taught that all men are created equal. Never accept charity. Work hard. We're all the same inside. Kill em with kindness. Race doesn't matter.

Now I find that I think this way because of my background and white privilege. I understand a little of what I'm told but so much doesn't make sense - and I'm not sure that it should.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(880 posts)
That's the nice thing about being chill. If some idiot wants to think I'm a racist ogre because I say what I feel like saying, I don't really have any fucks to give. 

Btw, thanks for the reminder about the mid-evil era. Or error. Absolutely deserving of inclusion in Best of Robert. Right up there with costumers being right and closing the boarders. Someone needs to compile an Ode to Robert. Maybe BridgeT will do it sometime. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13016 posts)
"unless it affects me"

Just because it doesn't affect you now doesn't mean it won't someday. These things become entrenched in colleges, and then kids in school are taught the same things, and then it becomes typical workplace philosophy... eventually you are shunned as a "mid-evil" ogre stuck in your racist past.

Hyperbole? Perhaps. Coming soon to a college campus near you, probably. Should be firmly entrenched by the time your grandkids go to college.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25107 posts)
VA, I can't speak for others, but I've got no trouble calling out nutballs regardless of whether their politics agree with mine. I think there are lots more people like that.

Some of this involves how easily upset people get and how hypersensitive they are. I tend to be more chill about stuff unless I think it's an important issue, and then I'll speak up. Like the yoga thing. It's stupid IMO for them to discontinue the lessons, but unless it affects me or is some gross injustice and harmful to someone, I usually don't get too exercised about it.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13016 posts)
Short story from almost 20 years ago, so this is not new.

As an undergraduate I also taught lab courses for freshman and sophomore chemistry. One issue I had was a particular student who had such terrible English it made it difficult for him to accomplish much. One day, he turned in a (typed) report written in sparkling perfect English.

It was obvious he didn't write it. I asked the professor what to do. He (wanting nothing to do with what he knew would come of it) wanted me to let it go. I didn't want to, but I did.

The next year (1997) we had mandatory cultural sensitivity training at this very school in this story (University of Ottawa). During a session about ESL students I brought up this incident and asked how it should have been handled.

The shit storm brought upon me was beyond description. The instructor's words were, as close as I can remember them, "If you're too entrenched in your racism to understand that people sometimes struggle with language then perhaps you don't belong here."

I attempted to explain that she didn't seem to have understood anything I said. She snapped at me for "talking down to her" and told me that it was clear that I "considered [her] an inferior because to suggest [she] couldn't (her word) understand what I meant was so offensive to [her] that we cannot talk about this anymore". She then added that she couldn't be sure if I was being racist or sexist with her. Possibly both.

OK. I can see where this is going.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25107 posts)
"I know a lot of liberal/progressive people who think PC has gone too far in many ways."

Absolutely. Unfortunately they are not driving things as much as the nutballs are. People are less likely to call out nutballs when they happen to be politically aligned with them, rather than call them out.

Correction- nutballs still don't drive a lot, but like today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal, today's nutball becomes tomorrow's enlightened individual.

This has been increasing on college campuses for a long time now. Generally, liberal nutball ideas become more common in your ultra-liberal places first. These are not really all that nutty in Canada.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25107 posts)
"Today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal."

Not necessarily. A lot of times some fucked-up fad comes and goes on its own. Sometimes it goes away as a result of it going too far and sensible people reacting against it. I know a lot of liberal/progressive people who think PC has gone too far in many ways.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13016 posts)
The majority may not care, but they can't have yoga on campus now because they've been taught that it's oppressing... someone...

tbr - I know you say that "nobody cares" in California, but googling California campus cultural appropriation bring up TONS of hits for Stanford, CSU San Marcos, UC Irvine, UC Davis, and many others. The schools have these same kind of online guides scolding those who practice "cultural appropriation" and do not understand that it is a 'microaggression towards students of color" and a "subconscious exercise in white supremacy". The majority center around Cinco de Mayo events and Halloween. For some reason St. Patrick's Day is not included in the list of days that white people are bad.

Today's fucked up shit becomes tomorrow's new normal. This is how this stuff comes creeping in... slowly.. in small doses... becoming more and more "normal". One day you'll wake up and realize it's everywhere. I don't normally agree with Andrew's wild ass conspiracy theories but this one is happening.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25107 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ... 579  Next »
691 to 700 of 5781
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.