Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ... 555  Next »
671 to 680 of 5542
User Details are only visible to members.
That blind identity integrity sounds so crazy but I must admit that I can possibly see another point of view.

I remember reading Oliver Sacks book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat." In it was a crazy story about a man that wanted to amputate his arm. I was horrified. I felt that it was right to go to any means necessary to keep this man from cutting off his arm.

And then the strangest thing happened. One day I lost my arm. I was pressing enter on my keyboard but the keyboard was broken. I looked down at it to see what was wrong but then I realized that my arm wasn't there pressing the button.

I started looking for it and couldn't find it. I saw some old man's disembodied hand on the desk. The next thing I knew, I was on the floor and could neither talk nor hear. I realized the arm was mine because it was attached to my body but I kept forgetting and it kept scaring me. Ut was heavy and I had to keep track of it. I was scared that it would get caught in a door and trap me or get cut and make me bleed to death but most of all it was just repulsive to me in a way that I had never been repulsed by anything. I didn't realize that I loved the my body until my feelings were in such stark contrast.

Well the symptoms resolved themselves and I was once again able to talk, hear, and use my arm. However I will never forget how I felt. I really wanted to get rid of my arm. The mind is a crazy, powerful thing. How are we to know what is a psychological problem that can be fixed and a hardware problem in the brain that is irreparable. In my case it was a stroke that I was young enough and healthy enough to overcome, but what if the damage was so extensive that I wasn't able to overcome it? What would it be like gasping and jumping every 5 minutes when my own limb frightened me?

No this might not be the same thing, but wouldn't you think I was insane if I said I didn't feel like my arm belonged to me and I wanted to get rid of it?

Carrollton TX
Username hidden
(745 posts)
I'm thinking about showing my commitment by becoming a lifetime member. Then, maybe lifetime members will talk to me.

VA, I have to say, I think it's wicked cool that Rush Limbaugh read your post on SLS and chose to discuss it on his show. Kudos!

BT

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(10961 posts)
The latest dumb shit from the SLS blog....

People resort to divorce due to lack of satisfaction in their marriages. It is very easily to get rid of divorce after you decide to introduce a third party in your marriage. The person you introduce in your threesome will make you feel satisfied in the sexual intercourse. You will not feel offended even if you have low sex drive because before you introduce the third party you will have agreed between the two of you. This is unlike infidelity that can lead you to divorce.

[besides being in dire need of grammar lessons, the above is just ridiculous]

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24404 posts)
@VA: Rush Limbaugh is discussing your post from yesterday at this very moment. Blind Identity Integrity they call it -- I think. Rush just went to commercial after this dumb shit.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
@VA: North Carolina wanna-be-blind woman. Crazy!

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
It's possible the school had one woman as the sole legal guardian of the child, and only later found out the actual situation.

I never understood why people try to get into private organizations which are at-odds with their personal values.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24404 posts)
I don't think the school would do this for the publicity since it, (the school) would have far more to lose than anything they could hope to gain.

Lake Wales FL
Username hidden
(7004 posts)
I strongly suspect that the psychologist did no such thing and she did this to herself.

This person is mentally ill, IMO. Although I have noticed that today's story about someone considered mentally ill is tomorrow's story about our intolerance.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24404 posts)
The psychologist should be in jail.

Funny that the school accepted her in the preschool, but now won't. They must have known the status of her parents before, since they are required to have that information on file. So I would dispute who is looking for publicity.

I looked up where this school is, and I wouldn't want to put my kid in any public school in that area. I worked in that area for a couple of years.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19327 posts)
NORTH CAROLINA – A North Carolina woman says she is happier than ever after she fulfilled her lifelong wish of becoming blind.

Jewel Shuping, 30, has Body Integrity Identity Disorder, according to Barcroft TV. BIID is a condition in which able-bodied people believe they are meant to be disabled.

She told Barcroft TV that her fascination with blindness started when she was a child.

“By the time I was six I remember that thinking about being blind made me feel comfortable,” she said.

Shuping says that when she was a teenager, she started wearing thick black sunglasses, and even got her first cane when she was 18.

By the age of 20, Shuping says she was fluent in braille.

“I was ‘blind-simming’, which is pretending to be blind, but the idea kept coming up in my head and by the time I was 21 it was a non-stop alarm that was going off,” she told Barcroft TV.

Her need to lose her sight increased as she got older, and by 2006, she claims she found a psychologist who was willing to help her.

Shuping says the psychologist put numbing eye drops into her eyes, and then a couple of drops of drain cleaner.

“It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin,” she said. “But all I could think was ‘I am going blind, it is going to be okay.”

The woman says it took about half a year for the damage to take full effect.

“When I woke up the following day I was joyful, until I turned on to my back and opened my eyes – I was so enraged when I saw the TV screen,” she told Barcroft TV.

One of her eyes eventually had to be removed, her other eye had glaucoma and cataracts, Barcroft TV reports.

Shuping says she originally told her family it was an accident, but they later found out the truth.

She says her mother and sister have since cut contact.

She told Barcroft TV that she has no regrets and that she hopes to help other blind people live an independent life.

“I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth,” she said. “When there’s nobody around you who feels the same way, you start to think that you’re crazy. But I don’t think I’m crazy, I just have a disorder.”

According to Barcroft TV, Shuping is hoping her story will help raise public awareness of BIID and encourage people with the condition to seek professional help.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24404 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ... 555  Next »
671 to 680 of 5542
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.