Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ... 562  Next »
541 to 550 of 5617
User Details are only visible to members.
Btw the term "cultural appropriation" has appeared a lot lately, and this kind of shit is ruining everything. It's the adoption of cultural practices which are not one's own (such as white people wearing dreadlocks, or white people doing yoga, or....well, every example I've seen is white people. Black people can apparently wear suits with no consequences.)

Cultures have been adopting each other's practices for as long as they have been in contact with one another. This is so fucking stupid. I had to put up with an idiotic Facebook post from a family member explaining that white people doing anything not white enough was outright racism, flaunting that one is white and nobody can stop them from stealing other cultures practices because white people have a history of violence.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24560 posts)
A free yoga class at the University of Ottawa has been banned by student leaders. Jennifer Scharf, the yoga teacher, had been offering the class since 2008 reports the Ottawa Sun. She says she was shocked and saddened when she heard the news.

Staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities said in an email that “while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students ... there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice... Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced.”

It adds that the cultures that yoga is taken from, “have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy ... we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practising yoga.”

The Centre, which is operated by the university's Student Federation had even asked Scharf to teach the class years ago – back when the world wasn't crazy, we guess.

Despite being a yoga teacher, Scharf made a valid point. “People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find,” she said.

“There's a real divide between reasonable people and those people just looking to jump on a bandwagon. And unfortunately, it ends up with good people getting punished for doing good things,” she explained.

Student federation president Romeo Ahimakin said the yoga program was not canceled because of a complaint. Rather, the program was suspended while students were consulted “to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces. ... We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner.”

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24560 posts)
Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but here's something I've noticed. Our new pic system is so cutting edge technology and shit, that it will actually at times allow a photo which has not been correctly sized to be loaded. This why our main profile pic of Kate that was huge for a few days until I realized what had happened, took the pic off and used the one I had correctly sized. I actually still have one of me on my paddleboard which is still wrong, so it shows up huge, but since I don't use it as a main profile pic, it isn't hurting anything. And I'm too lazy to fix it right now.

Lake Wales FL
Username hidden
(7230 posts)
WTF is going on with the ginormous logos in the fora and everywhere next to members' names instead of default pics?

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(9888 posts)
LOL

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(1726 posts)
Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24560 posts)
@VA: Why not? Everyone else has an "alternative LS." At least they claim who they are not be like some predators on this site.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7419 posts)
I saw it on Tosh.0.

I can't figure out what exactly this crowd is. Gay biker rednecks?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24560 posts)
I'm afraid to ask how you found this VA. Just what exactly were you searching for when this gem popped up?

~scamp

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3339 posts)
GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Lake Wales FL
Username hidden
(7230 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ... 562  Next »
541 to 550 of 5617
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.