Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
51 to 60 of 5617
User Details are only visible to members.
When giving speeches to scientists, one would use logistical remediation over crayons, however, should the roles reverse, crayons work wonders.

Charles Town WV
Username hidden
(1412 posts)
I don't think there are reading comprehension or logical analysis problems.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19402 posts)
I'm tired of the reading comprehension and logical analysis problems people seem to have with this topic and I'm walking from it before I say anything I can't take back.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
I never said they "want" to be homeless. I said they choose to be.

I've met a number of homeless people and know two in particular very, very well. I'm not as oblivious of them as you might think. They are where they are for a whole host of reasons, which cover the entire spectrum, from "totally their own choosing" to "totally fucked over by society".

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
VA most of the homeless people have mental Issues , there to be pity,and given a little compassion . We treat recuse dogs better then people here . Shame on us .That a real WTF

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(6175 posts)
"But the law isn't always right or moral. Ask me about family court sometime."

word

stepping away from the debate

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(9884 posts)
Now don't go getting your panties in a wad...

Like I said, you bring up some legitimate questions.

But the law isn't always right or moral. Ask me about family court sometime.

I've worked with a lot of homeless people in my time as a social worker. Sure, there are some that "want" to be homeless. But a great majority of those people should not be making decisions for themselves.

That is one of the tragedies of the last several decades. The least restrictive environment policy in regards to the mentally ill.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19402 posts)
Now I'm getting pissed off..,.

If you think I'm dumping on this homeless guy you're not understanding what I'm saying. The court didn't rule that it's not prosecutable, or that there shouldn't be a sentence, or whatever. They ruled that it's **not a crime**. Not a crime = totally legit.

So now homeless people can literally just walk into a store and steal food. This is not hyperbole or speculation.

--------------------

As for a country providing for the guy - every developed country has homeless people no matter their level of social assistance. Canada has a rate that is (population-wise) nearly FIVE TIMES that of the USA. The European Union's rate is THIRTY times that of the USA. Most developed countries have more generous social assistance than the USA, but most also have HIGHER homelessness. One thing people are rather stunned to see coming to Canada are the scores of homeless people accosting you while walking down any downtown street.

Like you, I don't know this guy's situation, but if you think that people don't choose to live in situations like this, I have news for you. That is, however, another topic.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24559 posts)
Now you are going to go and make me go all Robert on you...

I don't know anything about this guy's situation, but...

Which is the bigger crime, not providing a minimum standard of living for each person, or criminalizing survival behavior?

I agree that it sucks for the shopkeeper, and pretty much agree with all of your questions, but I think there is a larger moral issue here...

Leviticus 23:22

"When you harvest the crops of your land, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop. Leave it for the poor and the foreigners living among you. I am the LORD your God."

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19402 posts)
the sentiment in society in general is reflected differently in the european courts than here in the USA courts. if we ever see a verdict like that in the courts here in the USA, i would have a fred "Elizabeth! it's the big one!!!" moment and fall over in shock.

while i agree stealing ought to be a crime, there's something also to be said for mercy in justice--as in, yeah, guilty, but put aside or reduce (whatever) the sentence in the case of clearly exigent circumstances.

my holy bejeezus was for the verdict, as well as for the fact that whoever reported the guy in the first place could have handled it with the guy directly--rather than the train of events that followed leading up to the end-result ruling.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(9884 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
51 to 60 of 5617
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.