Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ... 576  Next »
421 to 430 of 5752
User Details are only visible to members.
sorry i broke my own cardinal rule of not bringing up politics and worse yet interjecting them into the open fora.

VA, with all due respect i know very well all about browsers and etc., etc.--and with all due respect although i wholeheartedly hope i am wrong, i completly disagree with your assessment/comments here.

i am walking away from this discussion--repeating that i broke my own cardinal rule re: NOT discussing political matters is why.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11049 posts)
This discussion is probably more appropriate for Politics, but I'l play along here for now.

I am going to disagree (surprise!) on your reading of the situation.

The Republicans, and to a lesser extent the Democrats, are getting more comfortable with the proverbial game of chicken.

We have had a government shut down for the first time in our history. There is an unprecedented lack of civility (at least in this century) between the various branches of government. I'll dig up plenty of examples if you need them.

And we are not talking about some minor official in some mindless bureaucratic office. A SCOTUS judge has immense power to affect the very fabric of the country. That sound like hyperbole, but it is not. Especially in the present situation, in which the next justice will determine the composition of the composition of the court, and probably determine the fate of the ACA, climate change laws, campaign finance, and a host of other issues.

On top of that, there is the little matter of the presidential election. I don't think the Republicans have much of a chance to win the presidency, but they think they do. So they have an incentive to stop the nomination in the hopes that a Republican will be elected, and they will maintain a conservative dominated court...

In summary, I hope you are right, but there are a whole mess of factors that may push it the other way...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19630 posts)
Please keep this in mind:

This isn't 1983 where all of us read more or less the name newspaper and watched the same evening news.

We mostly get ours news off of either cable news or the Internet. In the case of cable news, it's mostly us tuning in to what we most like to hear, where it will reinforce what we already think.

In the case of the Internet, remember that your browser mines your cookies and tailors your news feed accordingly. Hence if you are more receptive to "Republicans vow to stop anything Obama does", that's what it will present to you. If you are more receptive to "Obama threatens to ram ultra liberal justice down everyone's throat", that's what it will present to you.

Hence, your online experience already knows what you (or your Facebook friends) think and gives you more of it at an ever-increasing pace. Stories which might be very fair and accurate and tossed aside because your browser thinks you disagree or don't care, and you never hear about them.

Their "track record" shouldn't worry you at all. As I've stated - and as anyone willing to look at it would conclude - "their track record" is the same as EVERYONES track record in Congress for the last 16 years. There will be a lot of noise and in the end the President will get their nominee and everyone will go home.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25012 posts)
based on "their" track record of obfuscation, histrionics, and (largely successful) efforts at blocking most of the actual necessary work they *ought* to have been diligently pursuing for the past several years, i think there's a more than slight chance "they" actually mean to follow through as best they can.

we'll see.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11049 posts)
JW: why don't people understand that - almost always - this bluff and bluster of politics is nothing more than that?

NO they weren't going to impeach Bush

NO they weren't going to impeach Obama

NO they aren't going to block his nominee. They didn't they last 2 times and they aren't this time either.

Stop buying into their bullshit and they will stop selling it to you.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25012 posts)
Justice Scalia is dead and all the Republicans can say is "we will NOT MOVE on replacin him this year."

so....we're going to leave SCOTUS one justice short for nearly a year because of partisanship?

#firethemALL

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11049 posts)
My apologies to Aunt Sally...

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
LOL

Where's Dan Quayle when you need him?

The answer is- potatoe.

mathsisfun. com/operation-order-pemdas.html

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
Ya. I was about to suggest 12, as well. I'm a little rusty on my rule of order but it seems like multiplication should have come first

Mcallen TX
Username hidden
(11674 posts)
VA

I think that's a poor example. Technically the answer is 12 because multiplication takes precedence over addition. However the natural ambiguity of that sequence has led to the near universal use of brackets for clarity. The versatility of brackets in superseding the rule of arithmetic in favor of notational convenience (e.g in logical strings within spreadsheet arguments) is worth their universal application in my view.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1071 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ... 576  Next »
421 to 430 of 5752
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.