Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
42 to 51 of 5619
User Details are only visible to members.
Let me tell you the most ridiculous story... this story is absolutely true.

A young man has nowhere to go. He begs anyone to take him in. His grandparents do so. They give him a room and food. They present him with a bed with clean sheets to put on it.

They find that he is sleeping directly on the bare mattress, nastying it up. "Please", they tell him, "put the sheets on the bed". "Alright", he says.

Two weeks and daily requests go by. The sheets remain folded in the corner. They corner him in his room and tell him to put the sheets on his bed NOW. He tells them "FUCK YOU" and walks out the door.

He comes back later and crawls onto the still bare mattress.

They tell him that if the sheets are not on the bed by the 30th, he is thrown out. The day after the 30th, they threw him out.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24585 posts)
I am impressed. I honestly didn't expect anyone to see that side of things here.

This is what I meant when I said that some people "choose" to be homeless. Homelessness is really the only way one can truly be "free". We are all bound by responsibility - we are free but within certain limitations. We establish an equilibrium with our surroundings and rules.

Some people refuse to accept this. It's not that they won't TAKE a free house or TAKE free food, but they want to set the terms of it.

Imagine presenting someone with this deal: "I'll give you a free house with food in the cupboards and pay all of the bills. The only thing I ask you to do is to keep it clean. I'll even pay for the cleaning supplies."

Almost anyone would take that deal. But you'd be astounded by the fact that you'd find the house turn into a total shithole in the hands of some of them. No matter what you're asking them to do, no matter how reasonable their end of the bargain is - they will NOT do it, because doing it would be doing what you told them to do. They will let you come back and find it a trash dump and make you throw them out.

What hope is there for anyone like this? I'm not talking about mental illness or addiction. I'm talking about someone who refuses to follow any rule no matter how small or reasonable. These people are real and they exist.

As I've said, I am not oblivious of these people. I ate at a shelter with one just five days ago, although this individual isn't quite at the point of refusing to eat at a shelter, he is at the level of refusing to so much as clean the free room you'd give him, choosing to sleep outside rather than do what you tell him.

I've met and talked to many of the other people there, this time and in times past. I see all of the issues - mental illness, addiction, etc. But some also have these wild expectations that they can do nothing and have everything just happen to them. To them, everyone is "stupid", except of course themselves and the other non-stupid transients living in a shelter.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24585 posts)
VA - I completely get what you are saying. Inthis particular case, if this person stole because they had a problem whith the "rules" then it would be an even better punishment.

In NOLA we have a lot of "GutterPunks" (homeless kids). While some actually busk for a living many others simply panhandle. Some of these kids are mentally ill, some had abusive families they had to escape from but a large number live on the road/street by choice because it's "cool" and freeing. A large number are drunks and junkies. They get high and often get abusive with each other and innocent passerby .

By far the ones I disdain the most are what we call "Trustifarians". These are kids from well off families with trust funds in their names that live on the street while they live off their trust funds. They are usually the most obnoxious because they know they have money or parents to bail them out when they screw up. I have seen these kids go into bars, try to get a free beer and when they are denied, they pull out a gold card to pay for it. If the weather is too bad to sleep on the street or squat in an empty house they get a hotel room for themselves and their friends which they usually trash.

I'm all for feeding the hunger but I too take issue when they aren't willing to give a little to get it, even if it's just living with the rules of the "house" for a little while.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3371 posts)
I've seen that, too.

You find all kinds of people in the homeless population, from people who just got a bad break to stark raving lunatics.

In my experience working with homeless people for years, the majority of them have some sort of mental, let's say, issue that prevents them from functioning in regular society.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19411 posts)
Ok, so no longer talking about this guy, but about homeless in general....

Some people will not eat from shelters or soup kitchens. There are a multitude of reasons for why..

Some refuse to go because "those place have rules". Seriously. Some people will really not eat free food from a charity, church or soup kitchen because they refuse to abide by their rules. No matter HOW minor they are.

I know this blows a lot of people's mind but - honest to God - some people would rather sleep on the street or eat out of trash cans than follow ANY rules. Even rules like "don't throw food" or "you can't shoot up while you're eating". Or even the PERCEPTION of rules or structure of any kind.

While there are many reasons for homelessness, one of them is that some people absolutely positively under all circumstances refuse to follow rules or take any degree of responsibility for anything whatsoever. If you mailed them a bill that said they had to pay FIVE CENTS or be thrown out, they would ignore it. Because paying it would be letting someone else tell you what to do.

I know some won't believe that. I have seen it with my own eyes. This is not mental illness per se, it's oppositional defiant syndrome, and it's an untreatable personality defect.

Also - bear in mind.... some people are simply assholes.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24585 posts)
Current - I was thinking of the exact same "punishment". Make him have to serve community service while putting him near the food he needs. Point made that stealing is not the answer nor permissible while providing support for the food banks and/or soup kitchens.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3371 posts)
Scamp,

I think the question is what should the punishment be? A 100 Euro fine is pointless. If he had ten Euros he wouldn't have been stealing food. How about community service working in a food bank? After he puts his time in I'm sure he won't go home hungry.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(994 posts)
Should society find a way to feed the hungry? Absolutely.

Should it be legal to take whatever you need? Of course not. What's next, you can't afford a car but you found a new job so you take your neighbors car? "Well your honor, I NEEDED a car to get to work" Not guilty!

~S~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3371 posts)
What Shesmooth said.

But very educational. I thought farmers left the grain at the edge of the fields to support the pheasant population. Turns out it was peasants.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(994 posts)
I can't believe he went all "Leviticus" up in here.

Cocoa Beach FL
Username hidden
(7265 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
42 to 51 of 5619
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.