Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
21 to 30 of 5617
User Details are only visible to members.
VA,

As you pointed out previously, the idea of an online poll was a monumentally stupid idea. In great for these guys managed to add insult to injury in correcting the problem by simultaneously looking like half Grinch and half upper crust effete douchebag.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(987 posts)
Ya VBC what the fuck ,you care. Just saying. ox.ha ha

Bradford Canada
Username hidden
(1062 posts)
Boaty McBoatface is back in the news...

Britain will name a new polar research ship “Sir David Attenborough” despite a public vote which was in favour of the joke name “Boaty McBoatface”.

Science Minister Jo Johnson said the £200 million (250 million euro, $290 million) 15,000 tonne vessel will be named after the veteran naturalist and broadcaster, but said the ship’s yellow marine submarine will instead be called “Boaty McBoatface”.

Both vessels will be used to collect data and samples from waters in the Arctic and Antarctic.

The furore erupted when the Natural Environment Research Council launched an online poll in March asking members of the public to choose a name for its new ship.

More than 120,000 people voted for “Boaty McBoatface”, several times more than supported the second most popular name.

Other suggestions included “Clifford The Big Red Boat” and “Usain Boat”.

James Hand, who first made the “Boaty McBoatface” suggestion, apologised to the NERC on Twitter, saying: “I’m terribly sorry about all of this.”

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24561 posts)
I once had a panhandler approach me for money in Downtown Seattle, saying he was hungry and that he understood that I might not believe him but he just wanted to buy some food and a cup of coffee blah blah blah. I happened to be carrying some leftovers from a great Asian fusion restaurant at the time. I was torn between wanting to be a smartass and offer him the food, and the possibility that I might lose some really delicious leftovers to someone wanting to keep up appearances. That he might actually be looking for food was, I admit, a distant third. His reaction was a surprise. He looked at the bag and his eyes got really wide. He reached out and I gave it to him. He choked up and said "Thank you sir" and then as I said "No problem bud" and we walked away he called after us "God bless you". If he was acting he could be in the movies.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but both times my home was burglarized I remember thinking that I would have felt better...at least a little better...if someone had taken some food along with everything else. They didn't. I mean if you're really down and out, it's going to be a lot quicker to grab a loaf of bread on the way out than to fence some stolen shit and then take the money to buy food, right?

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(987 posts)
My wife is an assistant manager at a Chain Store,(Dollar General ) oops i didnt say that sells food, shoes, clothes, diapers, ect. There isn't a night that goes by that she doesn't tell about finding empty food wrappers, open diaper packs, dirty clothes, old sneakers, stashed on shelves. When they catch someone doing anything like that, they call the police. They are arrested but a liberal judge says it's a symptom of the time. He let's them off with a stern warning or maybe some community time, that's never served. Within a few weeks, there they are again. I'd say, throw their asses in jail, but as a tax payer I'm stuck taking care of them, besides paying higher prices for stuff in the store

Lyons NY
Username hidden
(1459 posts)
No, never liked Getty's voice...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19404 posts)
A Rush fan, are we?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24561 posts)
Which gets us into a whole discussion about free will...

;-)

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19404 posts)
i like the mandatory community service sentence--much better than prison term.

i favor the "fruit lady" approach also. i *never* give cash but have often bought fruit and/or water or hot chocolate and given that instead, depending on the weather.

and i *so* understand the various points of view expressed about homeless and the many reasons (and choices) for it.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(9895 posts)
As is often the case we agree on much more than we don't.

I've never said that we shouldn't help anyone, but it's fine that you want to emphasize it.

What I don't want to hear, however, is that "nobody chooses to be homeless". I'm not saying that you've said it, but many have, and it's patently untrue.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24561 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 562  Next »
21 to 30 of 5617
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.