Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ... 610  Next »
171 to 180 of 6094
User Details are only visible to members.
That would a cool title, Remembrancer.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(20606 posts)
Probably sell it back to the city for use in next year's rent payment...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(20606 posts)
The British love their ceremony, that is for sure.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
I would look on the Thames river for some of it.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6189 posts)
“Good number.”.. I meant article. What would those Kings and Queens of today do without traditions.. Ha!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6189 posts)
And, JW:

Since this stuff is most definitely *not* stored electronically, does the Queen (who presumably has, in practical terms, unlimited storage capabilities) a building full of junk coughed up by the peasantry over the last 1,000 years???

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
Ok. This is officially the best damn story I've ever read. I read the whole goddamn thing and I thought it was hysterical.

It is far too long to post here but I think it's awesome. You may decide for yourself based on your opinion of me whether that sounds promising or not.

Here's a brief part of it. Link at the bottom.

Earlier this October, at a ceremony at the Royal Courts of Justice, London paid its rent to the Queen. The ceremony proceeded much as it had for the past eight centuries. The city handed over a knife, an axe, six oversized horseshoes, and 61 nails to Barbara Janet Fontaine, the Queen’s Remembrancer, the oldest judicial position in England. The job was created in the 12th century to keep track of all that was owed to the crown.

In this case, the Remembrancer has presided over the rent owed on two pieces of property for a very long time—since 1235 in one case, and at least 1211 in the other. Every year, in this Ceremony of Quit Rents, the crown extracts its price from the city for a forge and a piece of moorland.

No one knows exactly where these two pieces of land are located anymore, but for hundreds of years the city has been paying rent on them. The rate, however, has not changed—the same objects have been presented for hundreds of years.

The rent on the Moors is a billhook—a knife-like tool used in agriculture—and an axe. The billhook is supposed to be dull: one early instruction said it should “bend in green cheese,” Copley News Service reported in 1972. About three centuries after this rent was first recorded, though, the standard had changed: the billhook should be in such a condition that it could strike a one-year-old hazel stick and make “little or no mark.”

The axe, on the other hand, is supposed to be sharp. The current version of the ceremony tests both: First, the city representative uses the billhook to hack away at a pile of sticks. After that tool is proved ineffective, the axe gets its turn—and swipes cleanly through the same wood. “Good service,” the Remembrancer says.

The article describes many bizarre tributes paid - all of which probably made sense at the time, given the payer's trade and abilities.

One landholder keeps his place only on the condition that, if the monarch shows up, he must “ride his horse into the sea, until the water reached the saddle girths, to meet his sovereign,” the Southam News Service reported. Another has to fight anyone the king wants him to. Possibly the best quit-rent ever conceived is this one: “three glasses of port on New Year’s Eve for the ghost of the King’s grandmother.”

w ww.atlasobscura. com/articles/london-is-still-paying-rent-to-the-queen-on-a-property-leased-in-1211

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
Nah..I think it's the old math method you use.. the one that just kills trees.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6189 posts)
Well shit, I allowed myself to believe from the brief I read that it was on paper.

*silly Mr Va*. Must have been all that pussy last night...

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
He really should have upgraded his system through the years.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6189 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ... 610  Next »
171 to 180 of 6094
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.