Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ... 705  Next »
161 to 170 of 7046
User Details are only visible to members.
Wasn't a reason the airlines started to nickel and dimes with few due to when oil prices were extremely high? Once they made bag fees, reserve seat fees, use the bathroom fees a norm across all airlines we just acccepted it as a fact that if we want lower rates we will have to pay for the 'extras' (which are anything but).

In January, Mrs F, Man-Boy and I will be joining her sisters and their families on a cruise out of Cape Canaveral. We were doing the math on how much airfare and fees were going to be and it was a little outrageous. So we came up with a great plan. Mrs F and I will drive to Florida, we will take anyone's extra bags with us. In return her sisters have decided that they will pay for Man-Boy's airfare. Win - win! Mrs F and I I get to take a road trip (one of our favorite activities) by ourselves. Man-Boy gets to travel on a plane for the first time with his cousins. I avoid the annoying chatter of a family friend who is going as well. No one has to worry about what to pack or not to pack (avoid baggage fees) and if anyone wants to have a drink and hang out with us when we stop for the night (prob around GA) then we can all have a great time and I avoid paying about $750 (approx).

There is always a way, you just have to be creative.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2095 posts)
Golly gee how about the regulation that a passenger who gets our of their seat in the tarmack must be removed from the plane.

Or a passenger that is acting out must be removed form the plane before that passenger becomes a potential threat.

Everyone on the pane is filming everything so the employees dont have a choice anymore do what the govemrent demands of be in violation of the FAA and lose your job.

The crushing weight of goverment is the reason behind everything you have seen on TV about passengers being removed from planes.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(5092 posts)
Our preferred airline used to be US Airways, because we used to (normally) fly out of Norfolk, VA, and US Airways had their shit together so nicely at that airport. Delta especially was a disaster out of Norfolk every time.

But, US Airways doesn't exist anymore, and we don't live there anymore. Our preferred became American. Delta has earned our love back lately, as they've refitted many of their planes with cool ass TVs, USBs, etc.

I dunno - we are pretty experienced fliers and we virtually never have a problem.

Our worst experiences ever have been with Frontier, which we tried only because they are the only direct flight from Orlando to Denver.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27939 posts)
I fly Southwest whenever I can. Maybe it is just good marketing but their business model seems to address most of the complaints people have with other airlines and their excessive fees.

~S~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(5446 posts)
"2forFun, don't just fly over and drop the arrogance bomb." I see what you did there.

How about the fee for changing flights..yikes!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7817 posts)
aside from costly ticket change fees, add: fees to check (even one) bag; fees to actually *gasp* reserve a seat (if you're flying with your child(ren), for example); fees for food (other than a teensy bag o' pretzels or a cookie) on a 5-plus hour flight; fees to use wifi in the plane (because movie service/entertainment is no longer provided on most flights in coach); fees for "slightly less cramped" coach seats. checking in with airline staff at the airport is now for the most part discouraged other than for "premium" passengers and/or group tours--etc. i am sure there are other fees i've missed. i tried to keep the "extra" fees down on this trip.

this was all on an international flight on a domestic carrier, and recently.

next time i very well may look for an international carrier, and justify the non-domestice airline and the extra couple hundred in ticket price: because we'll actually be able to check one bag, get meal service, and maybe even reserve our seats, have some in flight movies, without the "extra" fees.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(16279 posts)
Va, I know. Shame on me.

2forFun, don't just fly over and drop the arrogance bomb. Please, add to the discussion. Toss a little knowledge out please.

Me? I only fly about 150,000 miles a year and while that doesn't qualify me to fly a plane, repair one, or run an airline, I know a bit about the airlines and airports, having worked in an ancillary field. I do know about gate fees and how they differ per airport, and how routes are approved.

Lastly, I do know that airlines are now (in recent years) profitable after having lost money for decades. If, and I agree, fares haven't kept up with inflation, and costs are high, going beyond employees, fuel, planes and maintenance, how else are airlines achieving their profitability without costly ticket change fees and aggressive yield management?

BT

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(13074 posts)
"Do tell"

BT, did you just encourage ncal to keep talking?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27939 posts)
After working more than 30 years for 2 different airlines I can tell that you people don't know sh*t about the airlines. Like most people you think that they airlines only pay for employees and fuel. I won't go into detail about all the other expenses that they have to pay to both the cities or to the federal government for the privilege of transporting you from point A to point B. As to the cost of tickets after taking inflation into play a ticket is less now then it was 20 years. So all you Monday morning quarter backs lets do a little thinking before your fingers start moving on the keyboard. Like an old Chinese say goes "Its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think that you are a fool then to open it and remove all doubt." or in this case your fingers on the keyboard.

Honolulu HI
Username hidden
(274 posts)
NCal - which regulations are keeping the airlines from making money without overbooking? Most regulations placed on airlines since Carter deregulated in the late 70's have been safety-related. Are you saying those should be eased? Do tell. Which ones?

@HFT - Your "Congress should pass a law..." post sounds an awful lot like a liberal trying to put regulations in place on big business.

...NCAL, chime in here! Isn't increased regulation a liberal thing, or was HFT really trying to say something else??

Oh, and HFT, 2Try IS absolutely right. Along with maximizing occupied seats, airlines earn big revenue through change fees which are almost pure profit. That's what drives the overbooking; maximizing shareholder value.

AND you're wrong; ...hotels, cable companies, and medical practices ALL overbook. The first overbooks their sales/reservations. The latter, their services; think installation and appointments. The concept is the same for all.

HFT, it's not as simple as you think. (See what I did there?)

BT

Oh, the irony! The funny thing is, you don't even see it!

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(13074 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ... 705  Next »
161 to 170 of 7046
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.