10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ... 758  Next »
141 to 150 of 7573
User Details are only visible to members.
"Oh please, Current. There aren't many people here besides me that can rival you when it comes to being condescending and insulting. I'm not reading the rest of your post - I am done with that specific topic. "

Thanks! I strive for excellence in all my endeavors.

Here's the readers digest version. There are a lot of stock analysts that think compensation (overcompensation) of executives is an existential concern for their clients, their employers, or their employers clients.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2393 posts)
"I have trouble understanding why ANYONE - or at least any vaguely educated person - doesn't understand this."

That's because you re a STEM guy, and we all know that STEM majors ain't right...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23282 posts)
Thank you for the discussion; an interesting read.

East Lansing MI
Username hidden
(31 posts)
Desktop computers without an Ethernet port are like a dog that speaks Norwegian.....

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(1290 posts)
Today our office printer went down, so i ran to office Depot to buy a new HP office printer. Bring it home and start to install it. following the instructions that tell me to follow the instruction on the printer for setup. What the fuck? The printer will only connect to our computer wireless or with a Ethernet connection, which our desktop does not have.

So i take the printer back to Office Deopt to get one that connects with a USB only to be told that the one i bought does connect to a computer with a USP. The instructions are designed to confused the unknown person that self installs so that they have to hire someone to do the install.

I was informed to setup the printer with a USP ignore the instructions booklet and just use the instruction on the CD. My god do i have HP

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(8223 posts)
Maybe I'm less understanding than you. I have trouble understanding why ANYONE - or at least any vaguely educated person - doesn't understand this.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29195 posts)
Hahahaha.

I got the same thing from the CFO at my school of all people.

I was projecting enrollment by individual standardized test score. So same thing. Send her the spreadsheet and she says, I can't do projections based on 1/10 of a student at XXX score.

Fuck. I can kinda understand a lawyer not understanding, but you are the fucking CFO. You are supposed to understand numbers...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23282 posts)
tbr - not 30 minutes ago I was dealing with a lawyer who couldn't understand a calculation in a life care plan I was editing (I hate these). It included an estimated once per 5 years wheelchair replacement, from ages 17-80, $5,000 a pop (unadjusted). Now of course these are estimates, we don't know the guy is going to live to 80. Just estimates.

So - OK. Age 17-80, once per 5 years. That's 0.2 annually x ((80-17)+1) x 5000 = $64,000. (The reason is that this is one line of many, and these are formulae in a spreadsheet).

He began saying that this means wheelchairs at age 17, 22, 27, 32, 37, 42, 47, 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77. So that's 13 x $5,000 = $65,000.

"Right. So one wheelchair every 5 years = 0.2 wheelchairs per year, on average"

"You can't buy 0.2 wheelchairs,"

"I'm not suggesting you can. This is an average annual expenditure."

"I don't think you can do it that way. And here where it's 0.5 per year for something that's every 2 years... you can't buy half a wheelchari ramp..."

OMFG.

I don't buy 1/7 of a tank of gas at a time either, but that doesn't mean I can't calculate a daily cost of gas if I go through one tank a week. What the hell?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29195 posts)
Oh please, Current. There aren't many people here besides me that can rival you when it comes to being condescending and insulting. I'm not reading the rest of your post - I am done with that specific topic.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29195 posts)
VA,

Your criticism wasn't solid enough to get under my skin. You didn't really 'get" what I was trying to say but I'm not going to even raise the possibility of insulting you by suggesting I think that makes you stupid. It's a matter of perspective.

As has been pointed out, salary and compensation aren't synonymous. As I pointed out, CEO pay and the aggregate pay of all the executives and management of a company are not the same thing. I would also point out that $65 billion dollars in profit, or whatever amount it was, is not a static figure. You are focused on the salary of the CEO verses a particular record annual profit. I am focused on the bigger picture. The fact, say, that if out of Pfizer's 86,000 employees 5% work as executive managers in finance, sales, whatever, and those five percent get total compensation packages in salary and stock options (a real cost to the company - read the shareholders) amounting to $250,000 each, you're now talking about a billion dollars. Now re-do the math and tell me if that gets lost in the rounding (ie amounts to less than a tenth of a percent of the total) of the company's financial statement.

There is a culture of egotism and self promotion among all sorts of elites including, but not limited to executives in most large corporations. It seems to go something like this: 'Fred is making how much? That guy is a clown. I need to be paid twice that!" This culture of elitism also pervades faculty in higher education, congress, even non profits. Pretty much anywhere someone's compensation is decided by some sort of board. A couple of examples: Decades ago I got persuaded to give a small monthly stipend from my paycheck to the local United Way chapter. Until it was revealed that, in addition to his salary, the local chapter president had a $135,000 annual discretionary expense fund that he used for travel, entertainment etc. His unabashed explanation was that he needed to move easily in the same circles as his "important donors". Funny what happened when all us tens of thousands of "unimportant donors" took offense at this. In another more recent example of this group think, a headhunting firm polled corporate boards on their thoughts as to how they felt their CEO should be compensated relative to other companies. The, perhaps not surprising answer was "Above average". Now contrast this sort of touchy feely, collegial, theoretical group think against what they would expect from a CEO or CFO that they hire: Namely a brutal and unflinching view toward the expendability of every single rank and file employee of the company if their elimination or outsourcing could enhance the bottom line.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2393 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ... 758  Next »
141 to 150 of 7573
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.