10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ... 758  Next »
131 to 140 of 7574
User Details are only visible to members.
Sorillo find we a windows seven machine in the newer computers. Please.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(8236 posts)
That's because liberal , Democrat single males , fucked it up, just like the lifestyle.

Hey, how come liberal, Democrat single females, haven't fucked uo the lifestyle?

Doh... or have they?

Titusville FL
Username hidden
(529 posts)
I've used SPSS for 25 years.

If you try to push 20m cases with any appreciable number of variables through advanced statistics, you are talking at least a day.

And that us with an I5 or I7 processor. An "older IBM machine" probably won't do it.

SPSS is a resource hog.

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23296 posts)
20m file 3D database = 1 hour on a laptop using Dual core I3 5015U with 8gb ddr 2133 and W10.

I agree Sorillo, he is making his case.....lol

Personally, I’d use GPU acceleration with a Tesla if SPSS utilized cuda and be done in mere minutes.

~Allen

Charles Town WV
Username hidden
(3348 posts)
Yeah, I had to log out and see what nutcal is talking about.

He knows as much about SPSS as he does about anything else...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23296 posts)
Nutcal has an SPSS license?

I call bullshit on that one...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23296 posts)
You DO understand that you're making my point for me? The fact is, using a Win 7 computer of the vintage that didn't include an ethernet port of ANY manufacturer or setup to crunch numbers is going to be slower and less reliable than a modern machine, which you can easily install Win 7 on to get the user interface you want. As I said, processing power is processing power. Look up Moore's Law. I wouldn't be surprised if you could spend less than a grand to get a blazingly fast machine that will not only do the work you want much faster, but it'll interface with any peripheral you might need.

Hell, you might save enough time so that you don't run into that pesky sitting-at-my-computer back problem as often.

And if IBM won't let you move your SPSS license over to another manufacturer's more modern machine, you should probably consider telling them to go pound sand.

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(1296 posts)
We crunch data bases of twenty million files, sometimes more and do three dimensional analysis of that data. We use the SPSS program.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(8236 posts)
Somebody is definitely a computer dummy.

Charles Town WV
Username hidden
(3348 posts)
Unless that IBM work computer is 20 years old, it should have an Ethernet port. And if you're running Win7 on a 20 year old computer, it's probably bogging down like crazy just because of the size of the OS. And while the modern PCs are often oriented towards gaming and online use, the fact is, processing power is processing power, and a gaming machine will work fine for any business use. Those games use infinitely more processing power than virtually any small business can use, even for fairly large databases. If you need more processing power than that, it's time to start talking to Cray.

You can use Win7 on virtually any modern PC. I use it on all our work computers, and the computers I put together for myself because yeah, I agree, it's the single best version of Windows. Installing an HP printer is frickin' easy, connect via Ethernet to the network or direct with USB, and go through windows to detect the connected printer. During the process, you just download the drivers from the windows utility, or go to the HP website to download them separately. This is not rocket science.

The problem isn't the HP printer, it's the antique PC you're using, which is almost certainly slowing you down on virtually every bit of work you do on it.

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(1296 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ... 758  Next »
131 to 140 of 7574
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.