Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ... 667  Next »
121 to 130 of 6669
User Details are only visible to members.
Re: "He rejects much of science (climate change and evolution) even though he is a neurosurgeon. "

This is not directed to you specifically.

Oh please. Everyone does this including scientists. How many science-deniers I see of every type blows my mind. People deny whatever science they disagree with. Science has completely discredited so many things embraced in here, like homeopathy, acupuncture, hyuverdic medicine, organic food, fear and ignorance of aspartame, vaccines, fluoride, genetic engineering, and a billion other things that I've never been shy about being irked over.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27158 posts)
I'm sure this will be completely spun in ways I can't control, but whatever.

Firstly, his comment about the electrodes is not a misstatement - he's said almost exactly the same thing before. Bearing in mind that I am not an expert, I believe this to be the case: either he knows something that is otherwise unknown to neuroscience, or his suggestion is wildly inaccurate. It's difficult to know what is still lurking around in your brain vs what you've permanently forgotten, but I'm pretty sure you can't electrostimulate yourself to perfectly recall everything, ever. I think it would be awesome if it were true, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

But secondly - JW if anyone bothered to look up the dictionary definition of "immigrant"

Wiktionary: A person who comes to a country from another country in order to permanently settle there.

Merriam-Webster: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

We usually use the term to describe people coming in search of a better life, but I don't believe the definition requires *voluntary* relocation.

He definitely was an idiot for saying it, because he ought to have known the outrage it would cause. And his overall statement is bizarre and weird for what sounds like an attempt to justify the slave trade, or at least look for silver linings. But he's certainty not the first (or even the millionth) to characterize slaves as "immigrants". Including most of us here.

Yes, you. How many times have you said and heard "aside from native Americans, we're all immigrants"? How about "We are a nation of immigrants"? Doesn't that include descendants of slaves? Did you mean to say "Aside from native Americans and black people, we're all immigrants"?

If someone DID say that, I dare say that would also lead to outrage. Don't you think?

Also - it wasn't just slaves that were forcibly relocated to the new world (or other places like Australia).

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27158 posts)
***snort!***

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11909 posts)
Oh, ok.

Your reply somewhat tempts me to ask several more questions, but I'll resist. I'll do better to endear our fellow forumers by keeping that out of this thread and let it remain the simple, carefree place it was designed to be. Lol

Tr

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(4487 posts)
Although he is a man that I would love to get behind for I love his background story, he has proven himself ignorant time and again. He rejects much of science (climate change and evolution) even though he is a neurosurgeon. It just doesn't compute to me.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1028 posts)
"I hate to defend Ben Carson,..."

Just curious, why?

Tramp

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(4487 posts)
I hate to defend Ben Carson, and if he wasn't totally in error, he was not clear. Perhaps this is what confused him: Before 1654 African slaves were brought to the US as indentured servants to serve for a period of time and then be realeased just like other poor immigrants of German, Irish, Scottish and a English descent. A court case sentenced a servant who was not covered by English law a lifetime of servitude and somehow Africans became slaves. Ironically, the slave owner that went to trial was a black man that had been freed and now owned slaves himself.

So yes, while Africans at one time were brought over here without a choice, they may have had dreams as a free American for a sliver of time.

I wouldn't say that African slaves came here and had any dreams of a future. Luckily many descendants of the slaves have had the opportunity to claim the American dream.

I'm praying that vouchers don't gut the public school system which I believe is vital to keep the dream alive.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1028 posts)
Agrees with Scandle....why not just say you mis-spoke instead of trying to defend what you said??????? Which was horribly WRONG on so many levels.

~lady~

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(4487 posts)
Scandle, the problem with stupid is that they are too stupid to realize the stupidity of their stupidity.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(1687 posts)
Whether they had it better here with the way they were treated is debatable. As for Carson speaking intellectually, that's pure bullshit. He was wrong to equate slavery with immigration. Why not admit, at the very least, that he misspoke?

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11909 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ... 667  Next »
121 to 130 of 6669
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.