Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ... 730  Next »
101 to 110 of 7291
User Details are only visible to members.
Hmmm. Interesting.

For myself I would associate the word "flair" with gay men. "Genius", I'm not so sure about. Albert Einstein comes to mind, probably because of the recent series. "Brilliant" is thoroughly gender neutral for me.

Now curves, bell shaped or otherwise...definitely a feminine association.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2054 posts)
Well it's tempting to make casual observations like this but we are all subject to confirmation bias, i.e. embracing data points which reinforce our conceptions and ignoring those that suggest otherwise.

But I became interested in the lefties thing when I noticed that 9 out of the 17 people in my 4th year biochemistry class were left handed. Since only 1/9 men and 1/11 women are left-handed, I found this to be difficult to ignore, statistically.

Lefties are more likely to be "not average" - they are more common in high intelligence jobs, but also more common in prisons. They are more likely to be gay, have mental health disorders, be born with lower birth rates, cerebral palsy, autism, breast cancer, Parkinsons, etc.

As wikipedia says, most of these differences mean that left handedness should be eliminated through natural selection. But lefties have some advantages in sports and this extends to fighting and hunting, which until recently had a strong positive impact on our ability to reproduce.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28570 posts)
I had never heard that about lefties.

I noticed this when I was 8 or so when I went to a new school that divided the classes by ability. There were only 2 other girls in my class. There were two girls in the lowest class and only two or three boys on the middle class. I knew about survival of the fittest, so it made sense for the survival of our species that boys had more genetic variation.

As I grew I looked for more information and made more observations to prove or disprove my early theory but just about everything has confirmed my hypothesis.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1154 posts)
Someone say, "experimental sex"?

Whadya got in mind, DD??

BT

Hyannis MA
Username hidden
(13367 posts)
It is my very non-expert understanding that this may in fact be true. The average intelligence for men and women are about the same but the bell curve is broader for men, with more at the higher and lower ends.

This isn't just a guess.. some researchers have concluded this. The difference is more striking among left-handed individuals, where the broadening of the curve becomes much more extreme for men, but only marginally so for women.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28570 posts)
Lol.

DD, I can't offer an arguement to either of those observations except to say that I know which side of the curve I'm on.

Now, since nearly every woman I encounter is higher than I, I can't be sure as to whether they are in the middle or maybe more.

I'll have to wait for some of the male savants to add some perspective. That's all I got. ;^D

Tramp

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(5597 posts)
I have a very controversial theory about male and female intelligence. I think women tend towards the middle of the bell curve with outliers present of course but men I think are the more experimental sex with a wider distribution at the high and low ends of IQ.

That will probably start a few conversations.

Ducking.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1154 posts)
Sooo women cannot have brilliant insights that display sheer genius even if these insights are presented with flair? Kinda stupid, I know what more smart women than men.

Augusta GA
Username hidden
(745 posts)
*snort* i like the story about Lawrence Ripple.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(16831 posts)
In vaguely related news....

A homeless man has been sentenced to house arrest for using and selling drugs in Istanbul’s Kadiköy district, Dogan News Agency reported.

Baris Alkan, 31, is not allowed to step outside the boundaries of a confined public area near a city bus station in the Sögütlüçesme neighborhood because it is listed as his address in court records.

Alkan was detained on April 14 for selling and using drugs and was later referred to court, with the prosecutor demanding his arrest.

The Istanbul Fifth Criminal Court of Peace rejected the arrest demand and ruled for the “application of a judicial control precaution by means of not leaving the premises,” which legally means house arrest.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28570 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ... 730  Next »
101 to 110 of 7291
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.