Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › WTF
TOPIC: WTF
« Prev  1 ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ... 570  Next »
721 to 730 of 5691
User Details are only visible to members.
"I know. That's an orphan drug. I could explain more to you about what that means. "

I know what an orphan drug is.

I'm just saying that you don't need a marketing budget for a drug for a rare disease with ONE approved medication. Once it's diagnosed the Doctors should know what to prescribe.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(18560 posts)
Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about that.

"I've read that the manufacturing cost was about 1 percent"

The manufacturing cost is insignificant compared to the development cost, which has already been spent and needs to be recouped. Without knowing anything about the development costs for this specific drug, the best I could ballpark it at was around $500 million before the first dose is sold.

".and who are they marketing to?"

I just explained that - they are marketing it to a few hundred people who have had the rather severe misfortune of developing the condition.

"It's the ONLY FDA approved treatment. "

I know. That's an orphan drug. I could explain more to you about what that means.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24799 posts)
Thank you

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(18560 posts)
@Perfect: Wow, sorry.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7421 posts)
My sister was diagnosed last week.

I've read that the manufacturing cost was about 1 percent............and who are they marketing to? It's the ONLY FDA approved treatment.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(18560 posts)
To put it in perspective;

Occurrence is around 3 people per million. Most die within 3 years. So in a country like the US that means around 1,000 people would have it throughout their lives, and only about 100 (at MOST) would be alive at any given time. Worldwide, around 15 times that much, but at most 1/3 of those are in countries that could afford it. So you're talking around 500 "customers".

500 customers x $400k = $200 million in sales

I don't know what it cost to develop and approve, but typical these days is around $400 million. Add another $100 million for manufacturing capital expenditures, marketing etc. and this means that the manufacturer won't make their investment back for at least 2-3 years, and their exclusivity protection runs out in 2017.

i.e. even at $400k a year, they still won't make any money on the drug.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24799 posts)
Three reasons:

Orphan drug

Monoclonal antibody

Extremely rare disease

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24799 posts)
WTF?

I had never even heard of 'aHUS', and how the fuck can a drug called Soliris cost over $400,000 a year?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(18560 posts)
I haven't watched this but that may mean that Tamar Braxton is set to win.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7421 posts)
Bindi Irwin is caught in a tangled legal web ... her "Dancing With The Stars" contract just got rejected because a judge needs proof her dad is dead.

Lawyers for the show submitted a minor's contract to an L.A. Superior Court judge ... it's required because Bindi is 17. Her mom Terri signed a form stating she gives up all rights to any money her daughter will make on the show.

Here's the rub. For some reason the judge wants the same release from Bindi's dad, the late Steve Irwin?. The judge said without proof of Steve giving up his rights to Bindi's money, "the court is unable to find that it is in the best interest of the minor to be bound by the terms of the contract."

It's unclear if the judge is unaware Steve died in 2006, or if she's just a stickler for a death certificate.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24799 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ... 570  Next »
721 to 730 of 5691
TOPIC: WTF
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.