WARNING: Political topic ahead : Swingers Discussion 3669210101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumWARNING: Political topic ahead
TOPIC: WARNING: Political topic ahead
GoTo Page: Less ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Start   101 to 110 of 135   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"When you have a president who is all the way to one side, his party will try to follow suit."

Interesting you would say this. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was part of a campaign that considered the entire republican party too liberal. And if I cared about such things any more, I'd say the same about George W Bush.

Perception is what it is - depends on where you're standing.

Baltimore MD
Username hidden
(3271 posts)
Mike, I don't think it's as bad (YET) as you describe, but it certainly seems to be going quickly in that direction. I worked for a campaign (creating radio ads in my music studio!) for a third party that was more conservative than the Republican party (not hard to be, actually) and while the candidate lost, it had a surprising response for an unknown. This was in Vermont (a very liberal state). It gave me a taste for how things go. For third part candidates to rise up and make headway requires a willingness to take uncomfortable losses (on your own side). It's a tough thing to do, and from what I can see, there's not a lot of interest in making sacrifices for the long haul.

I thought it was Alexis De Tocqueville that said this, but a web search revealed it was someone else:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess of the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been 200 years. ... (Sir Alex Fraser Tytler) (1742-1813) Scottish jurist and historian

Baltimore MD
Username hidden
(3271 posts)
Could ANYONE unite under this kind of polarization?

Yes. It will take a president who is more middle of the road, or one of a thrid party system (wow, what a concept). Then if congress wants to get anything through they will have to work together and find mutual grounds. When you have a president who is all the way to one side, his party will try to follow suit.

East Greenville PA
Username hidden
(108 posts)
And Old Nutz, Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Can you discuss a political issue without taking pot shots at the "messenger"? Can you compramise with republicans without your hatred of them making you feel like you gave into the enemy? That is the danger that I alluded to in the previous post, the partys don't see each other as brethern with differing ideas, or even as opponents anymore, most see the other as enemies. And with enemies, there can be no compramise, only victory and defeat. I wish that you, and others like you on both sides would just open your minds and eyes and see that total victory by either party would be disasterous for this country. What this country needs is a path between the left and right, not the defeat and subjegation of one or the other. We need both, but they need to cooperate, not fight. Oh, and btw, I woud be interested in hearing how you would suggest reuniting this country. And don't say all we need to do is get rid of bush and all his supporters.

Bedford PA
Username hidden
(5527 posts)
Dan, I don't think anyone can unite this country at this point. Most on both sides are beginning to hate the other side and call them evil. A lot of dems think that every idea a republican has is wrong simply because they are republican. The same is also true in reverse. This is shoot the messenger mentality, and the message gets lost. People are more driven by what they are against than what they are for. This topic has been beat to death in here and I've seen no ones mind change. The lines are drawn and the sides are chosen. Very few on either side are interested in any kind of compramise, the atmosphere now is that one side has to win and the other has to be destroyed. This is the kind of mindset that leads to revolution. If the constitution had not kicked in when it did, we would still be fighting over who won the last election, all the while having no president, or perhaps no constitution. The coming election is shaping up to be even closer. The truth is there is no way to know for sure who won when the difference of votes between the two candidates falls within the margin of error of the voting process. Contrary to popular belief this country was not set up to have a two party system. It was set up to have a multi party system, where no party has a sole majority, and each and every party would be forced to cooperate with at least some of the other partys to get legislation passed. It would be great if we coud arrive at that. Unfortunately, history shows this polarization, followed by the breakup of the giant political partys, only happened once before in this country. It was in the early 1860s, And I think we all know what happened then. Sadly, I'm afraid a repeat of that awfull war is inevitable. Another too close to call election is going to be more than this country can take, I'm afraid this time folks will take it to the streets.

Bedford PA
Username hidden
(5527 posts)
To oldnutz:

That's the same argument the spammers use -- you can just skip/delete it. Political posts are off topic and they bump the on topic posts to the next page.

Henderson NV
Username hidden
(405 posts)
FunSinCityCouple : Swingers can have political opinions. Some find it interesting what other people with similar interests "swinging" feel about other stuff. Take for instance there is another thread here "do you ride a motorcycle". Not swinging related, yet it's here and some swingers are interested in that, but not all are.

What if someone strongly believes that a particular candidate is not in the best interest of gays/bi's or the swinging lifestyle. Many swingers happen to be gay/bi. There's just one reason for swingers to want to discuss politics.

Do you really feel there is a political bombardment on SLS? I see one thread titled "WARNING: Political topic ahead " within the past two weeks. Surely that's not a bombardment, and makes it very easy for anyone not interested in politics to heed the "WARNING".

East Greenville PA
Username hidden
(108 posts)
To CuriousNew:

Before you posted your topic, did you consider for a moment that you should have kept your political discussion on the political forum you like to visit? Can't you just leave some part of the Internet free of political discussion so that those of us who are weary of the political bombardment have a place to go without having to get bombarded again?

Yes, this is called the 'Open Forum.' But, it's an open forum on a SWINGER'S site for crying out loud.

Henderson NV
Username hidden
(405 posts)
"He's failed miserably at uniting. "

My question is: Could ANYONE unite under this kind of polarization?

Baltimore MD
Username hidden
(3271 posts)
ObladiOblada: Yes the country is divided. Call it left/right, good/evil, rep./dem, doesn't matter. Polls show there is an obvious polarization right down the middle. Hooray for the two party system.

And all I can think about is Bush's original campaign slogan "I'm a uniter, not a divider". He's failed miserably at uniting.

East Greenville PA
Username hidden
(108 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Start   101 to 110 of 135   End
TOPIC: WARNING: Political topic ahead