Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss : Swingers Discussion 169746103032
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumSports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
GoTo Page: Less ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... More 
Start   3032 to 3041 of 3676   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Thanks for the support Atown, I was there and know what the kids go through, that's why I support allowing some sort of payment for the athletes.

Joliet IL
Username hidden
(17 posts)
So if money isn't important, why have college sports? And if it is important, why shouldn't those that generate the profits get a portion? And if it isn't a big deal, why shouldn't the athletes be allowed to make money on the side? The school chooses to give the athlete the scholarship and the NCAA mandates they can't earn money using THEIR talents. They sure put a stop to the founder of Facebook from making money on the side while in college. The actual truth is the majority of athletes can't afford to pay their own way, and the majority will not go any further then college sports, only the true superstars will have that opportunity. So what's the problem with them getting something extra for the work they put in. I would venture to guess if those opposed to this were actually athletes and it effected them, their thought process would be different. Who cares if you worked with a coach or know a coach. Unless you are actually in the fire, you don't know what goes on. You only know what you are told or what you hear. Some would take advantage of what is given ie. Ohio State, North Carolina. But if given the opportunity to have some extra cash they may choose not to take the other road. There are five sports that generate profits depending on the school, maybe six. Football and basketball are the obvious picks. Baseball has it following, the college World Series generates dollars as does wrestling for some schools. I would think that Track and Field may be in there. 5 million dollars split up to 1000 athletes during their season, 1000 a head is 1 million dollars. The school still profits 4 million and that 5 million is generated from football only. Doesn't even take into account basketball. The school will survive if they gave an extra "bonus" to the players. I'm sure none of you would allow your company to use your ideas, image, name to gain profit with nothing in return. Maybe you should work for minimum wage. They gave you a job, you should just be happy with that, right? Here's an idea. Why don't you work for free, the company will put you in an apartment of their choosing, give you the food they choose and pay for your necessities (water, electric, heat etc.). And you can't do anything on the side to make extra money. I'm sure you would jump at that opportunity right? Just because you accept a scholarship means you should be subjected to that? The NCAA is one sided and could care less about the athlete. They claim they don't have a playoff system because of the extra stress it places on the athlete with school. I bet all of you believe that one right? How does the athlete survive March Madness, especially those that make it to the championship game. Surprised those men and women aren't pulling their hair out from all the stress of the workload.

Allentown PA
Username hidden
(806 posts)
Fun, not sure where you got your info on full or none but it is incorrect, I personally know of 3 players from our HS that are playing (football) with partial scholarships. I was at LSU and saw personally how it was, and with the success they have had in recent years trust me the guestopo aka NCAA is looking at them closely (remember Dale Brown, they did it to him but he came out clean), can't speak for other universities but Miles seems to be running a tight ship when it comes to the NCAA rules so under the table deals, selling game tix and jerseys, getting jobs watching the astroturf grow are a thing of the past, All I'm saying is there should be consideration for these kids that are going to class each day then 3 or so hours of practice and then attend films and meetings after dinner, then go home and study to maintain their grades, it's a full time 70 to 80 hour a week full time job.

Joliet IL
Username hidden
(17 posts)
Clit, some sports like baseball and track allow partial scholarships, but football is either a full one or none at all. A full ride scholarship does provide an allowance for room and board, which often results in an athlete putting extra money in his or her pocket. Plus, training tables are available.

My son was a great athlete (too small for football, but a speed merchant in track, baseball and soccer) and a D-1 SEC athlete for three years. Before that, my friendship with a football head coach gave me an inside look at what really goes on. Trust me, these kids don't have it so bad, even without the stuff they get under the table.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Clit, you will see that my first post mentioning age restrictions said that I don't agree with them. But, as a private industry, they do have the right to set them.

Also as I said before, if you or your child doesn't want the free education in exchange for a scholarship, pay your own way and quit griping about not getting paid.

I had a nephew on full ride to Pitt for baseball. After two years, he got so sick of it, he quit and went and enrolled at Ohio State and paid his own way with student loans. His parents were pissed that he gave away his scholarship but he was miserable so I commended him on doing what he felt was best for him.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11947 posts)
Does the term "Age discrimination" have any meaning to anyone. Not too sure what Nic and Akron do for a living but I bet whatever they do their company is privately owned, what if their company implemented age requirements for hiring, sound fair? And as for per diem money, it is true rooming is paid for, food as a rule is not. What ever happened to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" If you can go half a world away and get your ass shot off for your country you should be able to enter professional sports, just an example, what about these child prodigies that graduate college at 15, are they mature enough or should they be made to wait until they are 21 to enter their career choice? Like i said earlier, I was a D-1 athlete in a top program and experienced what they go through, I'm betting those that think a scholarship( and most only receive a partial scholarship by the way, due to the NCAA limiting the amount each school has to offer) is enough compensation never were part of the system, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but before you pass judgement walk a mile in their shoes

Joliet IL
Username hidden
(17 posts)
I agree that they have the right to set age limits, it just seems that they are doing it to protect their "farm system" (read:NCAA) than for any other purpose.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11947 posts)
I am an advocate of everyone being entitled to earn a living so I disagree with the pros setting limits on when an athlete can enter their draft. If a kid is so talented at 18 years old (a la LeBron) then let him skip college and start earning his millions.

But for the majority of D-1 athletes, the free education is MORE than fair compensation for their services. the superstars will still bolt early for the draft and get paid so there is no reason to pay them at the college level.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11947 posts)
In that case, I'll be rooting for overtime! AND hoping for a high "scoring" game.

;-D

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11947 posts)
L2P, another thing many people don't realize is that student athletes already receive some monetary compensation in the form of "per diem" on occasions when they travel, even though all of their food, travel and lodging expenses are covered. They also make a fair amount by pooling with oither players, especially when they have a post-season bowl game.

As for taking advantage of the education they are offered, well, some people out there choose to remain ignorant. You can see evidence of that in this very thread.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... More 
Start   3032 to 3041 of 3676   End
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss