Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss : Swingers Discussion 169746103011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumSports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
GoTo Page: Less ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... More 
Start   3011 to 3020 of 3665   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Sav, both defenses are so good; the joke down here is that one defense might outscore the other one and win the game 4-2.

And regardless of the outcome on the field, I will look forward to attacking you.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Fun, You can "retort" to attacking me after saturdays game lol .......I personal have not the slightest idea how the game will go. I say they're pretty evenly matched ; it will be an interesting knuckle biting game of that I am sure.

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5459 posts)
"retort to attacking"? Oh, I'd be too afraid to attack a Top Gun badass type. But could you point me toward some slow-witted, self-deluded putz I could just mock for a little while? I might resort to attacking some stupid retort from him.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Heat, sorry that my thoughts don't measure up to your rigorous standards. It seems that years of reading comic books and playing video games under the delusion that I'm a Top Gun have left me with the mental ability only to blather and talk smack. FML.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"Life is not equal, why all of a sudden does it have to be because college athletes get paid? Why do universities have to be treated the same, it doesn't happen now and athletes aren't paid."

True, but even the professional sports leagues have realized that some degree of parity is good for business. No one wants to watch a slaughter, which is a big reason why salary caps limit the ability of a team with plenty of cash to buy a championship.

All I said was that considerations of parity is a hurdle to overcome in allowing college athletes to be paid. Assume for example that it became legal to pay scholarship football players the relatively small stipend of $5,000 cash per year. That would add over $400,000 to the costs for a team. Fewer than a third of D-1 football teams currently turn any profit at all; the other 2/3 of the programs would face an even steeper uphill fight to be competitive.

Just something to think about.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
I actually like LSU in this one to NaN

Pottstown PA
Username hidden
(1576 posts)
Were not living in the past, we are living in today's world and what was is no longer a legitimate argument. Hasn't that been your statement about conference dominance? What was then is irrelevent and now is what matters. The NCAA is about money, plain and simple and will continue to be. Just like you and the company you work for. If it wasn't it wouldn't have signed a billion dollar TV contract to aire March Madness, schools wouldn't get millions of dollars for playing in a particular bowl game. If there is a way to make something happen, which there always is it would happen. It's just easier to ignore and do what you want.

And yes, just as in everyday business all athletes get paid. Just as they do with salaries in the work force you base it on experience and productivity. Should a freshman golf team athlete bring in the same dollar amount a senior football or basketball (men and women) player does, absolutely not. If they don't want to take the dollar amount they don't have to play, right? And if what you say is correct for many athletes it's not about the money, it shouldn't matter.

For the non powerhouse teams, guess they have to work harder in trying to get those recruits. 25 years ago Virginia Tech was an irrelevent team. The right people in the right place and they became relevent. Before Spurrier took over the Duke program they didn't matter. He takes over and they mattered, now they don't. Notre Dame use to be feared on the gridiron, are they now? Not really! Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler have built strong programs. They are far from powerhouse universities, they just have the right people in the right place. Just like all businesses have to adjust, adapt and overcome to be strong, so do universities.

Life is not equal, why all of a sudden does it have to be because college athletes get paid? Why do universities have to be treated the same, it doesn't happen now and athletes aren't paid. If you want to find a reason, an excuse to not do something you can always find one. Making something happen is not that hard.

Allentown PA
Username hidden
(806 posts)
I didn't say I was opposed to athletes receiving more benefits than they already do. I simply pointed out that there are lots of problems that get in the way of developing a fair way to pay them any appreciable amount. Second, I noted that they do already get a lot of benefits, over and above a scholarship that often can be worth over $100,000. 

As for full scholarships versus partial, NCAA has a hard limit of 25 schollies per year, and 85 total, for football. A school can't exceed those limits by splitting a scholly between two players, like other sports are allowed to do. For example, when the NCAA a few years ago limited schools to 11.7 baseball scholarships to fill out a 35-player roster, it made partial scholarships in that sport virtually mandatory. 

Perhaps some of the lower tier schools in Conference USA or the SunBelt Conference offer partial football scholarships, but ALL of the top tier schools give nothing but full ones; in fact, they are always looking for ways to sweeten their offers even more. Think about it: Schools like Oklahoma and LSU don't compete for blue chip athletes by offering anything less than the legal maximum. 

Any competitive disadvantage that lower tier schools already face by being unable to fund full scholarships, would be exacerbated if the top tier schools were able to offer pay on top of full schollies. Which was my original point. 

Finally, college football did not originate with any money being involved. For many athletes, money still isn't important. Every SEC school has walkons and "grayshirt" players on their team playing with no scholarship at all, who turned down scholarship offers from lower tier programs. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
I am not necessarily against a stipend but to think that it will stop kids from taking gifts under the table or bags of cash from agents is naive. And again I ask you, who gets paid and how much? EVERY scholarship athlete or only the stars? EVERY athlete in every sport?

Also, it will give the big schools a huge recruiting advantage because not all schools make millions off of their athletic programs. You will no longer have the mid-majors vying for those prized recruits because they won't be able to pay that stipend.

And yes, looking forward to LSU-Alabama! I'm picking LSU in a mild upset at Bama.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11885 posts)
#1 LSU vs # 2 Bama, should be a great game...

Pottstown PA
Username hidden
(1576 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... More 
Start   3011 to 3020 of 3665   End
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss