Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss : Swingers Discussion 169746102911
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumSports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss
GoTo Page: Less ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... More 
Start   2911 to 2920 of 3562   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Life is not equal, why all of a sudden does it have to be because college athletes get paid? Why do universities have to be treated the same, it doesn't happen now and athletes aren't paid."

True, but even the professional sports leagues have realized that some degree of parity is good for business. No one wants to watch a slaughter, which is a big reason why salary caps limit the ability of a team with plenty of cash to buy a championship.

All I said was that considerations of parity is a hurdle to overcome in allowing college athletes to be paid. Assume for example that it became legal to pay scholarship football players the relatively small stipend of $5,000 cash per year. That would add over $400,000 to the costs for a team. Fewer than a third of D-1 football teams currently turn any profit at all; the other 2/3 of the programs would face an even steeper uphill fight to be competitive.

Just something to think about.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
I actually like LSU in this one to NaN

Pottstown PA
Username hidden
(1573 posts)
Were not living in the past, we are living in today's world and what was is no longer a legitimate argument. Hasn't that been your statement about conference dominance? What was then is irrelevent and now is what matters. The NCAA is about money, plain and simple and will continue to be. Just like you and the company you work for. If it wasn't it wouldn't have signed a billion dollar TV contract to aire March Madness, schools wouldn't get millions of dollars for playing in a particular bowl game. If there is a way to make something happen, which there always is it would happen. It's just easier to ignore and do what you want.

And yes, just as in everyday business all athletes get paid. Just as they do with salaries in the work force you base it on experience and productivity. Should a freshman golf team athlete bring in the same dollar amount a senior football or basketball (men and women) player does, absolutely not. If they don't want to take the dollar amount they don't have to play, right? And if what you say is correct for many athletes it's not about the money, it shouldn't matter.

For the non powerhouse teams, guess they have to work harder in trying to get those recruits. 25 years ago Virginia Tech was an irrelevent team. The right people in the right place and they became relevent. Before Spurrier took over the Duke program they didn't matter. He takes over and they mattered, now they don't. Notre Dame use to be feared on the gridiron, are they now? Not really! Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler have built strong programs. They are far from powerhouse universities, they just have the right people in the right place. Just like all businesses have to adjust, adapt and overcome to be strong, so do universities.

Life is not equal, why all of a sudden does it have to be because college athletes get paid? Why do universities have to be treated the same, it doesn't happen now and athletes aren't paid. If you want to find a reason, an excuse to not do something you can always find one. Making something happen is not that hard.

Allentown PA
Username hidden
(806 posts)
I didn't say I was opposed to athletes receiving more benefits than they already do. I simply pointed out that there are lots of problems that get in the way of developing a fair way to pay them any appreciable amount. Second, I noted that they do already get a lot of benefits, over and above a scholarship that often can be worth over $100,000. 

As for full scholarships versus partial, NCAA has a hard limit of 25 schollies per year, and 85 total, for football. A school can't exceed those limits by splitting a scholly between two players, like other sports are allowed to do. For example, when the NCAA a few years ago limited schools to 11.7 baseball scholarships to fill out a 35-player roster, it made partial scholarships in that sport virtually mandatory. 

Perhaps some of the lower tier schools in Conference USA or the SunBelt Conference offer partial football scholarships, but ALL of the top tier schools give nothing but full ones; in fact, they are always looking for ways to sweeten their offers even more. Think about it: Schools like Oklahoma and LSU don't compete for blue chip athletes by offering anything less than the legal maximum. 

Any competitive disadvantage that lower tier schools already face by being unable to fund full scholarships, would be exacerbated if the top tier schools were able to offer pay on top of full schollies. Which was my original point. 

Finally, college football did not originate with any money being involved. For many athletes, money still isn't important. Every SEC school has walkons and "grayshirt" players on their team playing with no scholarship at all, who turned down scholarship offers from lower tier programs. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
I am not necessarily against a stipend but to think that it will stop kids from taking gifts under the table or bags of cash from agents is naive. And again I ask you, who gets paid and how much? EVERY scholarship athlete or only the stars? EVERY athlete in every sport?

Also, it will give the big schools a huge recruiting advantage because not all schools make millions off of their athletic programs. You will no longer have the mid-majors vying for those prized recruits because they won't be able to pay that stipend.

And yes, looking forward to LSU-Alabama! I'm picking LSU in a mild upset at Bama.

Poland OH
Username hidden
(11885 posts)
#1 LSU vs # 2 Bama, should be a great game...

Pottstown PA
Username hidden
(1573 posts)
Thanks for the support Atown, I was there and know what the kids go through, that's why I support allowing some sort of payment for the athletes.

Joliet IL
Username hidden
(17 posts)
So if money isn't important, why have college sports? And if it is important, why shouldn't those that generate the profits get a portion? And if it isn't a big deal, why shouldn't the athletes be allowed to make money on the side? The school chooses to give the athlete the scholarship and the NCAA mandates they can't earn money using THEIR talents. They sure put a stop to the founder of Facebook from making money on the side while in college. The actual truth is the majority of athletes can't afford to pay their own way, and the majority will not go any further then college sports, only the true superstars will have that opportunity. So what's the problem with them getting something extra for the work they put in. I would venture to guess if those opposed to this were actually athletes and it effected them, their thought process would be different. Who cares if you worked with a coach or know a coach. Unless you are actually in the fire, you don't know what goes on. You only know what you are told or what you hear. Some would take advantage of what is given ie. Ohio State, North Carolina. But if given the opportunity to have some extra cash they may choose not to take the other road. There are five sports that generate profits depending on the school, maybe six. Football and basketball are the obvious picks. Baseball has it following, the college World Series generates dollars as does wrestling for some schools. I would think that Track and Field may be in there. 5 million dollars split up to 1000 athletes during their season, 1000 a head is 1 million dollars. The school still profits 4 million and that 5 million is generated from football only. Doesn't even take into account basketball. The school will survive if they gave an extra "bonus" to the players. I'm sure none of you would allow your company to use your ideas, image, name to gain profit with nothing in return. Maybe you should work for minimum wage. They gave you a job, you should just be happy with that, right? Here's an idea. Why don't you work for free, the company will put you in an apartment of their choosing, give you the food they choose and pay for your necessities (water, electric, heat etc.). And you can't do anything on the side to make extra money. I'm sure you would jump at that opportunity right? Just because you accept a scholarship means you should be subjected to that? The NCAA is one sided and could care less about the athlete. They claim they don't have a playoff system because of the extra stress it places on the athlete with school. I bet all of you believe that one right? How does the athlete survive March Madness, especially those that make it to the championship game. Surprised those men and women aren't pulling their hair out from all the stress of the workload.

Allentown PA
Username hidden
(806 posts)
Fun, not sure where you got your info on full or none but it is incorrect, I personally know of 3 players from our HS that are playing (football) with partial scholarships. I was at LSU and saw personally how it was, and with the success they have had in recent years trust me the guestopo aka NCAA is looking at them closely (remember Dale Brown, they did it to him but he came out clean), can't speak for other universities but Miles seems to be running a tight ship when it comes to the NCAA rules so under the table deals, selling game tix and jerseys, getting jobs watching the astroturf grow are a thing of the past, All I'm saying is there should be consideration for these kids that are going to class each day then 3 or so hours of practice and then attend films and meetings after dinner, then go home and study to maintain their grades, it's a full time 70 to 80 hour a week full time job.

Joliet IL
Username hidden
(17 posts)
Clit, some sports like baseball and track allow partial scholarships, but football is either a full one or none at all. A full ride scholarship does provide an allowance for room and board, which often results in an athlete putting extra money in his or her pocket. Plus, training tables are available.

My son was a great athlete (too small for football, but a speed merchant in track, baseball and soccer) and a D-1 SEC athlete for three years. Before that, my friendship with a football head coach gave me an inside look at what really goes on. Trust me, these kids don't have it so bad, even without the stuff they get under the table.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... More 
Start   2911 to 2920 of 3562   End
TOPIC: Sports: Football, UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, Golf, BasketBall, Baseball, soccer,etc Or any other Sport u would like to Discuss