Sandy : Swingers Discussion 21074810101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumSandy
TOPIC: Sandy
GoTo Page: Less ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... More 
Start   101 to 110 of 330   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I attended a class on "Smart Growth" last week that was fascinating. Part of it addressed the issue of aging infrastructure. Cities are encouraging new development & redevelopment but aren't requiring these developers to contribute to new main service lines. On top of that cities are usually reducing their revenue by offering tax abatements to these property owners so now the city doesn't have the money to update the infrastructure. When a disaster like Sandy happens, the fragility of the ancient infrastructure is exposed and everyone suffers.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(4449 posts)
BLT, I'm sorry you took such umbrage at me repeating my friend's opinion. I had mentioned to her that Katrina exposed some long-neglected problems in NOLA, and she replied that Sandy was similarly exposing NYC's badly-neglected, crumbling infrastructure. Her opinions on that and other problems in NYC appear to be well-corroborated factually. They were not an indictment of the City's spirit; rather, an observation that its physically crumbling core is hidden behind a facade of shiny new buildings and "gentrified" old ones. Much of which is putting the cost of living beyond the middle class, while public schools for low income families continue down the path from bad to abysmal.

Since she is a brilliant, world-travelled, exceptionally well-educated woman whose family's knowledge and success in  NYC markets makes Trump look like a piker, I respectfully decline your invitation for me to "tell that bitch to shut the fuck up!"

Belle Chasse LA

Username hidden
(10354 posts)
I didn't see anything personal in Fun's post but it didn't take long for some to make it so.

Even in time of crisis some just can't help being petty I guess.

Poland OH

Username hidden
(11885 posts)
Agreed!

we were in KW for fantasy fest and i was paying no attention to the storm whatsoever until it was within 12 hours of leaving. we ended up stranded down there, with 19,500 flights canceled to the NE. Our choice was to wait and fly friday, or drive 1500 miles in a one way rental. Drive we did. Anytime we felt ourselves complaining we qucikly turned to consider what the real victims were facing, and little did we know until we arrived home and saw the utter devastation on tv.

We had not so much as a leaf out of place and we truly feel for all of you who suffered at any level.

j

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(2131 posts)
In times like these--both the BEST and WORST of some emerge... Neighbors are providing for neighbors, volunteers are doing whatever they can to help, and then some are so self absorbed they complain about inconveniences! Can you imagine the cold, hearlessness of those who complain about the lines we have to wait in for fuel, while there are thousandswho have not only lost all they have, but families are mourning the loss of life and bodies are being recovered a few miles from their safe location?

It puts little inconveniences in perspective... We should all be thankful for all that we have...and the safety of our families and friends. V

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
NYC, has so much underground, folks have to realize salt water and electronics don't mix. NYC is always in a precarious position. its NYC! lol But it will survive. Truth is, Mother Nature dictates her own path and not much we can do about it. I do think that, down here, many of the homes lost on the Ocean not going to be allowed to be rebuilt. It will be like in Katrina where they said the area too flood prone to rebuild. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but we shall see.

Most the businesses we patronize, have promised to rebuild. Just a mess! But on the other hand, make me so proud to see how folks pull together in the worst of times.

joan*

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
M-- Correct you are.. Throughout the Northeast infrastructure is aging and in dire need of replacments. Whether it is the small rural communities of NW NJ, the suburbs that surround NYC or the small cities that lay in the shadow of Manhattan, natural gas and water delivery systems are aging and frequently break after the thaws that follow deep freezes.

In lower Manhattan, there are miles of century plus old wooden water pipes that are still in service. However, the gentrification throughout the five boroughs that began during the 80's continues to thrive. Throughout the city, once abandoned buildings are being rehabilitated..the unfortunate consequence is that as the neighborhoods thrive, the rents increase, thus forcing many to move to outer boroughs or to the suburbs.

Regardless of the metric, NYC is thriving with a quality of life much better than the early 70's when it was nearly financially bankrupt.

V

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
The reality is, that NYC's infrastructure is indeed rotting from the inside out. But what would an emotion driven non New Yorker know about NYC.

Despite the gentrification of NYC and its boroughs, NYC's infrastructure is seriously antiquated and is in desperate need of attention.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16520 posts)
If Fun's friend was referring to NYC's infrastructure, she might have a point that this storm is gonna prove a real test.

If she thinks New York's spirit is rotten, she is nuts. I spend lots of time hanging out on the UWS and find it as vibrant a place as anywhere in the country. The stories are circulating all over the place about mid and up towners hosting downtowners for sleepovers, showers, electric charges, etc.

Amherst Canada

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
The friend said she 'thought'.......

So she had a thought, who cares.? if you do not like her thought, don't agree.

Perhaps telling 'that bitch to shut the fuck up' made you feel better.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(2131 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... More 
Start   101 to 110 of 330   End
TOPIC: Sandy