Russian meteor strike : Swingers Discussion 2171041041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumRussian meteor strike
TOPIC: Russian meteor strike
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   41 to 50 of 56   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I'm sure we'll have a whoooole lot of dummies who are convinced of all kinds of stupid explanations and will repeat them ad nauseum.

Just last week a CNN anchor asked Bill Nye if the asteroid passing today was from "global warming". Seriously. I'm sure there will be people who say that's what caused this too.

There will be alien theories. Top secret military theories. etc. Whenever anything incredible happens, it has the effect of dragging the loonies out into the sun.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17699 posts)
va that video was cool of the window getting blown out.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(1758 posts)
Ha maybe.

Look at this video of security camera footage as the shockwave hits an office building at 0:15 seconds.

w ww.youtube.c om/watch?v=1kvHl5Qcnzc&feature=player_embedded#!

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17699 posts)
We'll be expecting T-shirts now saying "I've been Chelyabinsked"

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"Did this event become significant because it was very close to a city?"

Yes. It really was very close to a city. Other events (some much larger, like the Tunguska event) have occurred in the past and since practically nobody was around, it's not very noteworthy.

It's not really that big. Comparatively, if this had been like the Tunguska event (also Siberia, in 1908), we likely would be looking at the total annihilation of the city and everyone in it, since it destroyed everything on the ground inside a 30-mile wide area. This one broke windows for several miles away. Tunguska broke windows hundreds of miles away. The glow from it was so bright people as far away as England saw it. The closest eyewitness was 40 miles away, and the heat from it was so intense his shirt caught fire. Something like that over a populated area today would be the biggest mass casualty in history.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17699 posts)
So the question becomes: Did this event become significant because it was very close to a city? Or was it so big that the nearest city was strongly affected?

In 50 years, I can't remember an event where more than a couple of people were hurt by a meteor, and now 1000 are hurt. There's never been an asteroid this size and this close to Earth in that same time at least.

The odds that these are mere coincidence: astronomical.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Oh two more things:

1. Mag 8 - yeah, you won't see anything without good binoculars. 2. This thing this morning came from a totally different trajectory than the asteroid passing by later today.

I feel like a doofus for not even thinking of #2. Duh. It should be very easy to know if the thing was coming from the same direction. It did not. Therefore it's almost certainly unrelated.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17699 posts)
Well, I don't think there is any way to actually show that it's associated with it or not. But it seems very reasonable to me that it is.

Events like this are not THAT rare... perhaps once every 3-10 years by my quasi-knowledgeable estimation. But since most of the Earth is practically uninhabited (or ocean), there usually isn't anyone around to see them. What's extraordinary is that this happened over a city. Cities make up less than 1% of the Earth's surface. It also happened under favorable conditions - perfectly clear weather in the early morning - bright enough to be able to see everything, but dark enough that the sun isn't drowning the light out. We could not have asked for a better setup to witness it.

A very large one happened over western Canada in... 1978? Something like that. Nobody on the ground saw it, because it was in the middle of Bumfuckville at 4 AM, but everyone on an airplane flying nearby did.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17699 posts)
have to have Trooper watch them, his Russian is rusty, but he can still understand it pretty well.

PG

Louisville KY

Username hidden
(17093 posts)
The asteroid passed about 2 earth diameters away. That's closer than the band of geostationary satellites over the equator.

Yet it was only magnitude 8, tops. As big as it was, much bigger than any artificial satellite, that's barely visible. And moving very fast, so I think few on Earth would have seen it.

Spaceweather.c om is mysteriously not working right now. When I checked earlier, they did not seem to suggest the Russian meteor was associated with the asteroid. But I share VB's suspicion that they were.

Now 1000 are said to be injured, almost all from shattering glass.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   41 to 50 of 56   End
TOPIC: Russian meteor strike