Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Recipe Sharing
TOPIC: Recipe_Sharing
Created by: ChasnGwen
Original Starting post for this thread:
There seems to be a lot of really good cooks on this site. I am hoping you would like to share some of your favorite recipes, tips, etc.

Bon appetite!

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." Julia Child

"Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want." Gael Greene

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 43  Next »
1 to 10 of 423
User Details are only visible to members.
I'm a big fan of pesto sauce. It's actually fairly simple, but oh so tasty. Important: everything must be fresh, that's vital

Sweet Basil leaves GOOD quality olive oil, and from a freshly unsealed bottle. Never use what's been in the cupboard opened for a couple of weeks, the taste changes enough to make a difference. Fresh parmesan cheese, grated. NOT the stuff you get at Chuck E Cheese for your kid's pizza. Pignolas (pine nuts), ground. Salt and pepper

Most folks do pesto in the food processor, which is a LOT easier, but all of the ingredients are chopped very fine. As much as I hate the labor, I chop the basil leaves by hand, because I prefer my pesto somewhat coarse in texture. Just a personal preference on the texture.

In either case, do the basil first. I add the pine nuts until the mixture has a nice salt/pepper color, then add about a similar amount of the parmesan. Oil goes in after I get the other ingredients visually the way I like. Add enough oil so that it's approaching a pancake batter-type texture. Salt and pepper to taste. It's absolutely heavenly when served fresh, and only loses the slightest magic when reheated from frozen.

I have a couple of cheap ice trays that I use for freezing my summer pesto. Fill and cover with saran wrap. Freeze overnight. Pop out the cubes and store in a freezer bag for long term use. When pulling them out, nuke them LIGHTLY. Just enough to break the cubes down, but you don't want the oil to boil, just enough to make it liquid again.

Serve over pasta. I really like it over mixed pasta, lightly cooked fresh green beans and grape tomatoes.

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(378 posts)
VA- I love it when someone takes the time to press my tofu. Too many people overlook that. Promise me that,if we ever meet, you'll press my tofu real good

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3935 posts)
You're welcome.

I've done that recipe with chicken too, and it works well. For tofu, I bought extra firm tofu and pressed it between paper towels for about 30 minutes. I then sliced it into slightly thicken pieces than I did the beef; otherwise it tends to crumble apart.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
Thank you, VA.

Please let Mrs. VA know that I hope to extend my thanks to her one day too, should our paths cross ;-)

BT

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(11429 posts)
btw very little of the oil is lost to the dinner this way. I filter the oil back into a bottle and keep it in the freezer. It can be reused many times.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
OK BT. Crispy orange beef. Originally from a Cooks Illustrated recipe; I've modified it significantly in some ways. This is a 'serves 4" version.

Prep work. Steps 3 and 4 I did last night.

1. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel off the rind (not the pith) of two sunburst tangerines. Those deep orange ones. Do NOT use honey tangerines - the skin is nasty. Cut the strips into thin matchstick-wide strips and lay out on a plate to dry about 2 hours before you want to cook dinner. Juice the tangerines to get about 1/4 cup of juice.

2. Cut a jalapeno pepper in half and dig out the ribs and seeds. Using a vegetable peeler, cut the jalapeno into long razor-thin pieces. Lay out on the same plate as the tangerine rinds and let it dry out a couple of hours.

3. Prepare 1/2 pound each of green beans and carrots. Cut the carrots into sticks about the size of McDonalds fries.

4. Cut 1.5 pounds beef (filet is best, but other tender cuts will do) into 1/2" by 1/2" by 3" or so sticks. Toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp soy sauce. Add 6 tbsp cornstarch and toss until evenly dusted. Spread strips out on a broiler sheet or baking sheet and put in the freezer for about 45 minutes, until the strips are very stiff but not frozen solid (in practice I often freeze them and transfer them to a bag to cook later).

5. Mix 2 tbsp soy sauce, the tangerine juice, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 shot of bourbon, 1 tbsp vinegar and 1.5 tsp sesame oil in cup.

6. Heat 3 cups of peanut oil to 375 °F. Cook the beef 1/2 a pound at a time, stirring occasionally to keep it from clumping. Drain on paper towels and repeat for the next 1/3.

7. Near the end of step 6, add the vegetables to a pan with a bit of sesame oil and dusting of salt, and begin cooking.

8. Make a paste of 1 tbsp crushed ginger, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.

9. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to another pan. Heat with the jalapeno and tangerine peel until the peels are beginning to brown. Remove from heat. Let it cool until the pan is no longer sizzling. if you don't, step 10 will splatter everywhere.

10. Add the paste from step 8 and return to the heat. Cook until garlic begins to brown.

11. Add the liquid mixture from step 5 and crank the heat up until the sauce thickens.

12. Add the beef to the sauce and toss quickly.

13. Serve with the vegetables, either on the side or mix them together.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25114 posts)
Rabbit, Yes I did, Sweetie! Thank you. As soon as I get a free moment, I'll be testing that recipe in my NEW oven (Yippee!!).

Username hidden
(137 posts)
ATGB - Did you see the Mexican Chocolate Cookies recipe I posted here for you?

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3935 posts)
I love pickled beets or just buttered beets... YUM!! Plus, they're very nutritious.

Username hidden
(137 posts)
Hopefully she didn't French kiss that cow.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 43  Next »
1 to 10 of 423
TOPIC: Recipe Sharing
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.