RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS : Swingers Discussion 2190371071
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumRACISM-A long way to go here on SLS
TOPIC: RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 225   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"America is paradise in comparison with, for example Russia, France, Egypt, Turkey."

This is completely true!

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(2626 posts)
T,

I second your comments.

Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
This is a very near and dear subject. Im inceredibly aware of racism and bigotry around the globe. There are anti racism laws on the book, that are enforced arbitrarily all over the globe. America is paradise in comparison with, for example Russia, France, Egypt, Turkey.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16789 posts)
I'm certainly of the mindset that the best person for the job should get the job. The reason why minority hiring practices are even in place is because employers can't be trusted to hire based on merit and qualifications. If they could, then we wouldn't have those policies to begin with.

Diversity hiring policies don't make me angry towards minorities. They reinforce my anger towards the hateful bigots who can't do the right thing. So if a lesser qualified individual gets a job over me because of race, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, whatever, then oh well. I'm not mad at the guy/girl who got the job based on a completely irrelevant factor. I'm mad at the people who made it an issue in the first place.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
Laws only do so much, and in some cases make it worse.

When I finished school I had a strong interest in working at the National Research Council in Ottawa. Since this is under the umbrella of the federal government, it is subject to intense affirmative action policy. There was a particular research group there whose leader collaborated with us grad students from time to time. And we had a frank talk one day.

It wouldn't be paraphrasing much to say that his message was that the white males among us can completely forget about it. It'll probably be 10 years until they can hire a white male, unless he's disabled or gay or something which makes him one of society's venerable people, because they already have way too many. White women have an OK chance. Indian or Chinese men have almost no chance - too many of them in comparison to their preponderance in the population. Other minority women are a shoo-in. Black or Native Indian men or women could be borderline retarded and they've got the job. They do, however, lack white men in their cleaning staff, and need to hire some there.

So I am sitting there among my friends.. in a research group of about 17, there is one other white male, 2 Chinese males, and 1 east Indian male. Everyone else is female or "something else". 4 out of 17 can't have the job because of their race/gender combination. We could improve our chances dramatically by turning gay or getting grievously injured. One friend of mine who was Arabic didn't like this one bit either, being told as long as he is remotely qualified, he has the job, while I cannot no matter how qualified I am. This sort of thing breeds resentment.

This wasn't some kind of unspoken policy. It would be in their hiring postings "due to our diversity policy, only applications from women and visible minorities will be considered", plain as day. No job for you, white boy.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19797 posts)
"Believe me, America has nothing on racism."

I think when it comes to Equal Opportunity laws, etc, etc, you're spot on. Socially (and legally) it's accepted or tolerated a lot more around the world than it is here. On an individual level though, I'd say it's just as bad here as it is in most other countries. Main difference being that it's illegal to practice it in the workplace here and it's not acceptable public behavior.

"If the world was as racist as America. Our planet would be a perfect place."

Not really because America still has some extremely racist tendencies. But you're point is still understood. If the rest of the world had anti-discrimination laws that were on par with the US, then the world would be a better place would probably be a better way of putting it. :-)

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
"That was well said luvrman, your always so polite, yet you get your point a crossed. Usually with bigger words than I use but I guess that shows how well educated you are. Which is one of the many things I enjoy about you. Speaking of educating, which was mentioned in a previous post, anyone who is on SLS shouldn't need an education on Racism. If your a swinger, Racism shouldn't even be in your thoughts or vocabulary and if it is, this isn't the lifestyle for you. :)" ----

Thanks Sassy, Agreed, I couldn't have said it better.

Emeryville CA
Username hidden
(12208 posts)
Aquite a while ago I heard David Sedaris' great monologue about Christmas in other countries called "6-8 black men" Omg I almost peed myself listening. ( btw great story-- you can read it , but no one can tell it like David Sedaris.)

Well anyway, when he tells the story about 6-8 black' scandinavians, you assume the visual from most people here in the states is someone of African descent. But strangely enough, I found out later (from someone who WAS a "black" Scandinavian) that calling someone a black there just stems from discrimination/racism against the darker tribes of Scandinavian peoples who were dark, not blonde.

Crazy wild.

Brunnerville PA
Username hidden
(326 posts)
None of what I am saying is intended to make an excuse for anyone here being racist.

But I take strong exception to those (and there are MANY) who make the claim that racism is largely an American phenomenon. Complete and total bullshit.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19797 posts)
What Va said.

In The UK there is a saying:

Antisemitism is when you hate Jews too much.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16789 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 225   End
TOPIC: RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS