RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS : Swingers Discussion 2190371061
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumRACISM-A long way to go here on SLS
TOPIC: RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS
GoTo Page: Less ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... More 
Start   61 to 70 of 235   End
User Details are only visible to members.
No offense to your grandmother, but the KKK did not invent beauty pageants. They've been around longer than the KKK.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17524 posts)
we were beginning to think that my son was racist, against white people, when he was younger. he never had a white friend over, always asian or black. he brought a black girl to the prom. growing up in the city here it seems white people are the minority, but i guess we raised him ok because of that.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(1910 posts)
I was lucky. I didn't hear messages of racism. I heard that we are all the same if it was even mentioned.

I remember having a surprising conversation with my grandmother who told me in the 70's to never participate in beauty contests because they were started by the KKK to uphold and promote an Anglo ideal of beauty. Of course this was in the time before Vanessa Williams. She was ashamed of her participation in the contests because African Americans were not allowed to participate (in the 30s I believe.)

Username hidden
(347 posts)
I pretty much have the opposite ideals, values, practices and opinions and beliefs than what I was raised with, including how I parent vs how I was "parented." So, instead of being ingrained with racism (my brother had two confederate flags flying proudly on the ramshackle porch he built onto his double wide, no kidding), I inherently inside myself knew that what my parents and "kinfolk" were spouting went against everything my heart and mind told me were instead true. Same with politics and religion, actually.

Did I say yet that I was adopted? ha.

I've walked out of many conversations. Spoke up at a few of them. And disdain the proud ignorance of people who really should've known better.

But of course, they're all "Christians," bless their hearts.

Gina

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(7085 posts)
I've said before and I'll gladly say again: I really long for the day when color/ethnic origin are merely descriptive adjectives like saying "the lady with long hair", "the dude with glasses", "the kid with the blue tee shirt", etc. I am from the deep South, but that's the way I was raised and I try to treat all people with a base level of respect and adjust up/down based on personal merit.

Mcallen TX

Username hidden
(9909 posts)
"Some unqualified minority got the job or accepted to this university. At one time that was a valid arguement. Not so much today."

I disagree. I don't think that was ever a valid argument, even in the beginning stages of affirmative action. Maybe 10% of the time (or less) there was a case of someone who was not even minimally qualified for a job/college who still got accepted strictly to fill a quota, but the overwhelming majority of AA hires are taking perfectly qualified applicants, even if they aren't the "best" qualified.

It's not like companies are pulling a black dude from the mail room to be the new VP of Accounting because they need a minority executive.

T

Danville PA

Username hidden
(3160 posts)
I get that. I'm just saying that almost every time this topic comes up someone always says, "My brother, neighbor, cousin, whoever got turned away because they needed to fill a quota. Some unqualified minority got the job or accepted to this university. At one time that was a valid arguement. Not so much today.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(2640 posts)
In CopNKitten's scenario, it would seem that they were aware of the test scores of all applicants.

the people in the class werent aware of everyones score. the black guy knew his score was over 1000, and the guy with #1 was in the class. with only about 90 people starting in the class, that was a big gap. he himself was wondering why, since they were told there was no separate lists, and they admitted that there was. yes he passed the test to be there, but i would feel more comfortable with someone MORE qualified to back up my hubby.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(1910 posts)
"Not that it's possible to give you a bigger head or anything, but dood, youz kewl!"

:-)

T

Danville PA

Username hidden
(3160 posts)
"Why do people assume the minority candidate wasn't the most qualified? Were they privy to the test scores of all the applicants?"

In CopNKitten's scenario, it would seem that they were aware of the test scores of all applicants. If I understand it correctly, there's basically a "White Dude" list and then another list for "Everyone Else."

They take X number of candidates from the WD list and Y number of candidates from the EE list.

Now it's probable that the highest scoring people from the EE list were among the highest scoring individuals from both groups and were getting selected anyway. But when you've got say 5 vacancies left to fill and 2 more minority quotas to go with it, if 2 of the next 5 highest scores in the entire group aren't minorities, then a couple of people are going to get passed.

T

Danville PA

Username hidden
(3160 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... More 
Start   61 to 70 of 235   End
TOPIC: RACISM-A long way to go here on SLS