10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 879  Next »
61 to 70 of 8789
User Details are only visible to members.
“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
"If you've ever had breakfast in France, you can understand the Nutella riots."

on Twitter @MissSarrah

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(5060 posts)
"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18172 posts)
Quote taped on to my Lap Top, "Nobody is more hated than the one who speaks the truth", Plato?

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4880 posts)
Better to do a little well than a great deal badly. ~ Socrates

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
Good 4. I love that quote. The Earthsea Trilogy was Consummate LeGuin. I read A wizard of Earthsea in sixth grade and loved it. I read the Tombs of Atuan in my twenties and loved it. The farthest shore is masterful in her portrayal of old age, maturity and senescence. I'm delighted, but not shocked, at the wide variety of people who were fans. She was extraordinary.

“When I was young, I had to choose between the life of being and the life of doing. And I leapt at the latter like a trout to a fly. But each deed you do, each act, binds you to itself and to its consequences, and makes you act again and yet again. Then very seldom do you come upon a space, a time like this, between act and act, when you may stop and simply be. Or wonder who, after all, you are.”

? Ursula K. Le Guin, from "The Farthest Shore'

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2395 posts)
"A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." ~ Confucius

Parsippany NJ
Username hidden
(1404 posts)
Good, Another "good" quote from Mr. Good. Going to print this quote and put on file cabinet. THANKS.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4880 posts)
I respectfully disagree with the assessment that this world is becoming dimmer with time. Yes, old brilliant flames die, but new ones are born. It's a dynamic process. We all have a tendency to long for yesteryear, because we tend to over-recall the good movies/songs/things as opposed to the bad, but overestimate the level of crap we are dealing with in the present. People fondly recall the 70s for the carefree attitude, classic rock/disco/funk scene, classic TV shows like All in the Family, etc.

They tend to not fondly remember gasoline lines, price controls, economic malaise, widespread unemployment, Vietnam and other wars/insurgencies going on all over Asia and South America with their problems often spilling over into terrorist situations for us to deal with, numerous years of very bad winters and crop failures (with their associated costs in terms of food and fuel shortages),, staggering levels of disease and starvation in the developing world, very grim prospects for anyone with a cancer diagnosis, etc. Who would want to go back to that?

So I maintain that even while certain aspects of our life and world sometimes seem grim, our planet (and our country) remains on an upward trajectory. I'm a positive person, even though I often seem not to be.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29202 posts)
To say that the world just became a little dimmer is an understatement.

Ms. Le Guin was one of those bright lights that illuminate the universe. Her writings enthralled us; inspired us; engaged us; and challenged us. Ms. Le Guin was more than just an author. She was a “pioneer” in all sense of that word. Ursula K. Le Guin, Science Fiction Author, October 21, 1929 - January 22, 2018

"Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveler may never reach the end of it". ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Tombs of Atuan ( the Earthsea Cycle, Book Two ) page 171

Farewell. Maybe we will pass each other on the other side of the low wall.

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 879  Next »
61 to 70 of 8789
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.