Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1 ...  361.8  362.8  363.8  364.8  365.8  366.8  367.8  368.8  369.8  370.8  ... 759  Next »
3659 to 3668 of 7587
User Details are only visible to members.
He said, with certainty.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(12187 posts)
"fuking troublemaker."

- Fun_Ahoy

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26016 posts)
"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

I don't know who really said that. It was attributed to Alexander Tytler by the person who sent it to me, but I kind of doubt it.

Personally, I don't believe the dictatorship part. I do, however, believe that people will vote for the candidate who promises that particular voter the most "benefits" from the government pocketbook.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
That reminds me of this one:

"There are only two things that are infinite; the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe" (some variants say "the first one" instead of "the universe").

- Albert Einstein

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26016 posts)
Good one. But my favorite Bertrand Russell quote would be any variation of his statements that the biggest problem in the world is that fools are so certain of themselves, while wiser men are full of doubt.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13322 posts)
Ahhh Bertrand Russell.

A probably apocryphal story as told in "A Brief History of Time" is that he was giving a public lecture on astronomy. When he was finished, an old lady said:

"What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a big plate on the back of a giant tortoise."

Russell smiled and said "Dear Madam, what is the tortoise standing on?"

"You're very clever young man" the old lady replied "but it's tortoises all the way down."

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26016 posts)
I don't think I've ever seen that movie.

Another couple of favorite quotes about democracy (from memory; too lazy to look up precisely):

Winston Churchill's "Democracy is the worst form of government ever devised, except all the others."

and Bertrand Russell's "Democracy is the system by which we select the man who will get the blame."

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13322 posts)
Reminds me of "Johnny Got His Gun". Ever see it? Depressing and slow but a good movie, even though I am misaligned with the creators. Father played by Jason Robards.

And yes I only watched it when I was young because it was the basis for the Metallica song and video "One".

Father: You're gonna make the world safe for democracy!

Son: What is democracy?

Father: Well it's never bright clear on myself. Like any other kind government it's got something to do with young men killing each other I believe.

Son: When it comes my turn, will you want me to go?

Father: For democracy, any man would give his only begotten son.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26016 posts)
"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."

--Ronald Reagan

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13322 posts)
" Don't ask for my opinion if all you are really looking for High Five adrenaline rush"

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  361.8  362.8  363.8  364.8  365.8  366.8  367.8  368.8  369.8  370.8  ... 759  Next »
3659 to 3668 of 7587
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.