Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1 ...  357  358  359  360  361  362  363  364  365  366  ... 712  Next »
3611 to 3620 of 7119
User Details are only visible to members.
"The red nose might get you through fog on Santa's sleigh, but the brown nose will get you everywhere."

SB:)

Memphis TN
Username hidden
(5039 posts)
His geeky stuff generally works on me but he lost me at "brown noise."

(I will admit that I must now google the shit out of "brown noise.")

Cincinnati OH
Username hidden
(4329 posts)
The only reason you tell stuff like that is to play up to the women in here who like geeky stuff. BrownNoiser.

Richland MS
Username hidden
(12853 posts)
One more short story re: that.

Twain and Bell became friends anyway, and got together frequently in their summers in Baddeck. Bell liked to play tricks on Twain. One time he was experimenting with a vibrating platform and realized he could tune the frequency to that which relaxed the bowel muscles and caused people to suddenly shit their pants (we now call this phenomenon "Brown Noise").

He got Twain to stand on the platform and fiddled with the frequency. The sensation is a pleasant one, Twain reported. Until about 45 seconds later, Twain had to bolt from the room to "take care of business" while Bell collapsed in hysterics.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25009 posts)
A funny story re: that....

Mark Twain was of course a successful writer, but a bit foolhardy with his money. He lectured even though he hated it, because he was losing his money in bad investments. The mid-late 19th century was a big age of invention, and a lot of people had a lot of crazy ideas.

Mark Twain summered in Baddeck, Nova Scotia, as did a lot of wealthy people at the time. One day while there he was approached by a person who was searching for investors to develop his invention. He was seeking $500 and offering I believe 30% of his company for it. Mark Twain thought about it - he'd lost a lot of money in investments lately, and decided - for the first time - to say "No".

The inventor found investors in Toronto and Boston, and successfully developed his invention. The inventor was Alexander Graham Bell. Mark Twain made a lot of bad investments, but getting 30% of Bell Telephone for $500 probably would not have been a bad one.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25009 posts)
"Hellllloooooooo, nurse!"~ the Animaniacs

Mcallen TX
Username hidden
(11670 posts)
"I'm not Jesus, if you keep apologizing for the same behavior don't expect me to believe your sorry nor accept your "heart felt" apology. If you want forgiveness talk to God but frankly I'm sure even He calls BS now and then. He too knows when words are meaningless."

Me to a friend who is dealing with shit no one should suffer through!

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
my fav of the day:

"The current U.S. financial system, despite its flaws, is the best that has ever existed. " " The US financial system is the most transparent, trustworthy system in the world." ~jamie dimon

(boring i know, but it makes my day a good one.)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(2405 posts)
Even a genus ask a questions

Username hidden
(7 posts)
"The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only." - Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  357  358  359  360  361  362  363  364  365  366  ... 712  Next »
3611 to 3620 of 7119
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.