Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes : Swingers Discussion 131080103512
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumQuote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
GoTo Page: Less ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... More 
Start   3512 to 3521 of 4417   End
User Details are only visible to members.
We have never used commercial fertilizers, we use manure mixed with wood compost both plentiful here. Even when we had commercial farms we used manure from the dairy cows for feed grain. I did look and it appears that some fertilizers are nitrogen derived from petroleum by products. But then so are a lot of our major medicines. We have drifted from our original drift from the OP. I thought that it was stated that you could not eat money. And you can though you probably would not survive on it. But it takes at least some amount of money for food unless one is a bum. All of us pay property taxes or rent so even if the land is given to you free you pay something for your food.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
We already own the land , which is not very large, and already pay taxes on it whether we grow food or not , so taxes are a constant regardless . Commercial fertilizers are definitely made from petroleum, nitrogen is derived from I believe LP gas. Large amounts of food can be grown on small plots of land. What we don't grow we can barter and trade with other growers to get different food items . As I stated the biggest reason is, we know What we are eating, not trusting our"gov" to allow chemically enhanced "fit for human consumption" " food " because it gives more profits to factory "farms"at the expense of human lives!! We do also enjoy lots of different berries and other wild plants that are delicious, and growing all around us, provided by mother nature !! Have a Great weekend , and happy eating ;)

Mc Gaheysville VA

Username hidden
(18 posts)
M, you are correct to a point. Land still costs money and there is not enough open land to use, or without legal problems. It is good to garden, it is good to farm, but not everybody can do it in the scale required to live off the land. No matter how you figure it, unless a person is a bum, it costs money to eat.

Now I will say the hobos that live on the keys do eat for free, but they do that by dumpster diving, and killing pigeons, and some land crabs. But somebody pays for the food they take from the dumpsters to lure the crabs and pigeons.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
I am not aware of any commercial fertilizers made from petroleum. What are these? As a general rule petroleum kills plants.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
Yeah, I just visit the neighbor's garden about midnight...

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Pine nuts, pollen, and pine cone scent are powerful aphrodisiacs, or so they say.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
It takes knowledge and a willingness to work , but yes it can be done free!! To start ,using commercial fertilizers defeats the whole purpose, it is made with chemicals from petroleum , I don't eat chemicals!! Making compost is Free, as is rainwater!! Seeds are saved from previous years so they are free!! The soil has been here since Mother earth was formed , so it is free!! Pests are controlled by what you plant near other plants, both bugs and animals Can be kept away using this method!! But the best reason for growing your own is you KNOW what is in/on your food. Chemicals and Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) are all cancer causing agents invented by man to enhance his greed for making more money at the cost of human lives !! So Yes food can be truly free as it has been for millions of years !!

Mc Gaheysville VA

Username hidden
(18 posts)
Wasn't that Euell Gibbons in a Grape Nuts commercial?

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"Ever eat a Pine tree? Some parts a eatable."

Wild Kingdom.

Saint Louis MO

Username hidden
(12439 posts)
Well unless planting on open range(does that exist anymore) land costs money and the taxes on land never stops. So there really is no free food. Now there is many plants that can be consumed without further cost. Here in NC just a few are prickly pear cactus, dandelion, wild grapes and blueberries, persimmons, poke weed, mushrooms. Hunting and fishing require licenses unless on your own property.

There is not enough land though for the general population to eat free, so money is required for most of us.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... More 
Start   3512 to 3521 of 4417   End
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes