Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
GoTo Page: Less ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... More 
Start   3161 to 3170 of 6256   End
User Details are only visible to members.
If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original ~ TED Talks speaker Sir Ken Robinson

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Yes, you're right. Back to the point.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22641 posts)
Pandora_Bayou

You will soon learn, if you have not yet, that there are a huge number of people who support him but remain silent because of how others treat them.

If you go back to 1999 when Mike Harris was widely vocally hated by the media and just about everyone, he then bodyslammed his opposition in the next election.

Putting a Mike Harris sign on your lawn was asking for a rock through your window. So, we didn't put a sign on our lawn. Or scream. Or march. We just voted.

As tolerant as Canadian think they are, they are wildly intolerant of those who disagree with them politically. Americans are far more respectful than Canadians. While it sometimes goes this way in the US, telling anyone openly that you support Stephen Harper will cost you your friends, bring you problems at work, etc.

You will notice there are two kinds of people.... those who hate him, and those who don't talk about him. Do not mistake the 2nd group for those indifferent to him.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22641 posts)
And this thread is starting to divert towards politics...

Back to the original topic.

Pain don't hurt ~ James Dalton

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
@VA...The current consensus is you either hate Harper or you loathe him.

Where as Pandora and some of her friends has had many nice things to say about an old elected official named Jack something-or-other (Lawton maybe?) who recently died, there were an equal number of people that thought he was a complete Tool.

he same could be said about Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Some people think he's brilliant, others think he's a dip shit. It's pretty evenly split with every race, gender, and social status.

However, every single one of those people who I spoke to above thinks Harper is a douche.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
In my opinion....

Justin Trudeau is riding 100% on charm and his name. He's been alternating his look lately between Matthew McConaughey and Trent Reznor, doing and saying outrageous things and getting away with it, just like dear old Dad, because he can. Would this guy have a prayer of a career in politics if his name wasn't Trudeau and women didn't think he was hot?!? (en.wikipedia.o rg/wiki/File:Trudeaujpg.jpg for the curious ladies)

I haven't been paying enough attention to Canadian politics in general to comment on Harper's government without ignorance, so I'm afraid I cannot. The biggest source of "information" I get is from Mrs. VA's family, who universally hate Harper. It's a little hard to take them seriously though, because their hatred is so intense I cannot believe they are being fair and thus I can't discern the accuracy in what they say.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22641 posts)
Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far greater than what divides us. JFK on U.S.-Canada relations. ....

Thanks for the history lesson, Va. Justin Trudeau is now emerging as leader of the Liberal party and he seems to get rock-star treatment from middle aged women everywhere he goes. Will be interesting to see if he can unseat the powerful and effective Harper machine.

Amherst Canada
Username hidden
(2377 posts)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emeryville CA
Username hidden
(12218 posts)
You're welcome.

My parents were on vacation in Montreal when things began to deteriorate in late 1970. They had to submit to a search of their hotel room by military police in the middle of the night as the whole hotel was turned upside down in the desperate search for those who had kidnapped a British diplomat. Arrest without charge or legal rights was the norm.

This whole thing has faded from the memories of most people under 40, which is a shame. Most young people have no idea that Canada had an intense problem with domestic terrorism in the late 1960s, which as I said literally escalated into a police state being imposed, with Fidel Castro granting safe passage for those involved to escape to Cuba. Asshole.

As for who was considered the "winner" - at the time, the Prime Minister was widely considered the winner. The country was in a situation of bombings, kidnappings of government ministers and even foreign diplomats that had been escalating for a few years. People were scared, and, well, Trudeau did what he felt he had to do and had broad public support for doing so. Thing is, some were worried he would not give up his near dictatorial powers when the situation subsided. Thankfully, he did.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22641 posts)
I've been reading up and researching a lot of Canadian history (I heard it was on the test ;) ). I hadn't made it that far back yet but it was on the most recent list. I'm still trying to figure out how all the "parties" of the government mesh together into a governing body.

There's a youtube video of the exchange and it's pretty amusing to watch the banter of someone who obviously doesn't understand what it's like to be on the outside looking in. Trudeau doesn't understand why anyone wouldn't want constant protection from harm as he's someone watching him since he took office, and the reporter doesn't understand that Trudeau can't think the same way as the common everyman the reporter is trying to stand up for.

It's an interesting exchange that can't possibly be resolved with anyone coming out a clear winner. A Mexican standoff held waaaaaaay north of the border.

Either way, I'm better for having seen it. Thanks VA!

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... More 
Start   3161 to 3170 of 6256   End
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes