10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.
SwingLifeStyle.com

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 879  Next »
31 to 40 of 8789
User Details are only visible to members.
I love that quote Good.

My mother was self-educated. It was not unusual for our whole family to sit together in the living room, silent with every nose in a book. Our most used book was the dictionary. By the time I was 8, I knew better than to ask what a word meant. I knew how to look it up.

My mother delighted in learning a new word and using it often. I couldn’t stand not knowing what she was talking about.

Her parents and many relatives were deaf-mute yet language was her joy.

I haven’t kept the same discipline, but it was easy to score in the top 1% on the vocabulary portion of the SAT back when I was a teen.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1234 posts)
Good, your parents were street smart. My father would say, "the world is at you feet, all you have to do is bend down and pick it up". Good too bad our world is full of snowflakes waiting for someone else to do the thing for them. I think the poor that get ahead had parents when they were children that ruled the home and didn't take and shit. Expected performance.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4877 posts)
"Education is the key to all of Man’s chains." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

My father was the grandson of a slave. He was also a mechanic. I don't know if he had any formal education ( he died when I was eight ). My mother was Georgia Cherokee. She informed us that she only had a fourth grade education. They BOTH instilled, in all of their children, the love of learning. From as young as I can remember, I was always told, "everything in this world can be taken from you. Except for what is inside your mind."

In fact, the above quote from Emerson, was what I put under my Boston Latin School graduation picture.

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
Good, did your parents have formal educations or did they learned from their parents? It all goes back to our parents. "If the parents have no brains, where are their children going to get them"? Thank your parents, for their responsibility. It's better than inheriting a fortune.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4877 posts)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Terry Pratchett

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(1287 posts)
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose and some get rained out, but you have to suit up for them all"

Cape Coral FL
Username hidden
(4674 posts)
"The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit." ~ Benjamin Jowett, 1817-1893 English Clergyman, Educator & Classicist

My parents started me reading at age five. As I got older, I was encouraged to write down things ( quotes, comments, jokes, phrases, ), I read that made me feel ( good, bad, excited, angry, happy, etc.) . It could be something I read in a book; in a comic; on a cereal box; wherever. My parents would then talk with me about them. Over the years, I would write one or two down and keep them in my wallet to ground myself. Since, I've become very old :), I have amassed quite a collection.

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
good, where do you get your quotes?

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4877 posts)
“Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(114 posts)
"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18153 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 879  Next »
31 to 40 of 8789
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.