Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1 ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ... 850  Next »
101 to 110 of 8498
User Details are only visible to members.
"Action is the antidote to despair." ~ Joan Baez

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(17022 posts)
"The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of other men and women; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which weighs their interests alongside its own without bias; the spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to earth unheeded; the spirit of liberty is the spirit of Him who, near two thousand years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned, but has never quite forgotten; that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side by side with the greatest. And now in that spirit, that spirit of an America which has never been, and which may never be; nay, which never will be except as the conscience and courage of Americans create it; yet in the spirit of that America which lies hidden in some form in the aspirations of us all ... I ask you to rise and with me pledge our faith in the glorious destiny of our beloved country."

~Excerpt of a speech by Judge Learned Hand to immigrants at a naturalization ceremony in 1944

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2116 posts)
What I celebrate on Independence Day:    Our free and independent press that cannot be coerced, censored, blackmailed, insulted, and forced to do the bidding of a president, that keeps our democracy open, and free.    Our Legal System across the States, competent, patriotic, well versed attorneys who courageously challenge any that threaten the inalienable Rights guaranteed us in our Constitution.    Our Judicial System which investigates, protects, prosecutes, defends our country from nefarious and criminal acts by those who exploit the system at any level, from the ordinary citizen all the way to highest office of the land, at risk to personal safety, reputation, and continuous employment.    Our Academics who inform, educate, us well past enrollment in formal institutions, but who give us the learned information we need to accurately interpret events around us.    Our citizens who exercise their Rights, guaranteed by the Constitution, to express our expectations of government and leaders, and our disappointment in them when they fail to measure up to the noble positions of service we gave them, placing our trust and aspirations in their hands.    Our States across this nation who will find alternate ways to keep our environment clean and healthy; our voting system honest, healthcare available to those who need it regardless of ability to pay, and safe from intrusive laws that deprive us of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness....you know who you are, thank you!!    Our law enforcement most ( unfortunately, not all ) of whom serve with honor and honesty, to protect the citizens; Our firefighters who risk their lives to save ours and ask nothing in return.    I would like to thank our Congressional Representatives and Senators, but I would have to name them individually, because as a group, they have work to do before I can thank them for what they do on our behalf.

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(63 posts)
"loving this glorious mess of a country"

Annie

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28580 posts)
"All we can do is keep trying to effect positive change."

...amen

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(17022 posts)
Good4, sadly, I agree. All we can do is keep trying to effect positive change.

Fair Oaks TX
Username hidden
(12247 posts)
Amen!

I do celebrate the 4th though and what it means to me. It's when my family came together. Many are gone now and new ones in their place.

Happy to 4th! To my family and friends. May you cherish this time together and leave all your hardships if just for one day.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8702 posts)
"What, to the American slave, is your Fourth of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciation of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and solemnity, are, to Him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States, at this very hour."  ~ Frederick Douglass, July 5, 1852

To Black Americans and people of Black or Brown skin color, living in America, these words are as true today as when they were first spoken

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(63 posts)
When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us. —Helen Keller

CT - Glad to be of assistance.

Be Well!

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(63 posts)
Not sure if this has been posted before, but saw this recently and made me LOL:

Bumper sticker with a pic of a big grinned George W., caption - "Do You Miss Me Now?"

Parsippany NJ
Username hidden
(1122 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ... 850  Next »
101 to 110 of 8498
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.