10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
TOPIC: Quote_of_the_Day_-_Meaningful,_provocative_and_amusing_quotes
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 879  Next »
21 to 30 of 8790
User Details are only visible to members.
If you can't show me the data it's just your opinion.

Albany NY
Username hidden
(661 posts)
"Behavior is what a man does, not what he thinks, feels or believes." Emily Dickinson

In lieu of child support, my ex-husband agreed to pay for college through a masters degree or equivalent for our children. It was the best deal I ever made.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(348 posts)
“I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” ~ George Washington

Worcester MA
Username hidden
(115 posts)
"The only man who never makes mistakes, is the man who never does anything." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

KJ, like you, i made the commitment to 16 years of education and my full support in all meaningful ways for my kiddo. a long ways yet to go but i want my child to know and feel that the support is there, whatever it takes.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
good4life, kj.. great post. Made me reminisce

"the things I've learned they don't teach in college" ~ my late father

My Dad grew up in NYC and Newark, NJ during some tough times. He never finished school let alone college. But he was smart resilient man, who started his own business, which he raised a family on and saw that all five of his kids made it through college! I think at times about his quote and I also realize that I learned so much from him. He had the wisdom to know that higher education may not have been in the cards for him but made sure it was for his kids!

Parsippany NJ
Username hidden
(1410 posts)
“If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool” ~ C.G. Jung

I am enjoying getting to know some of you a little better. We were just discussing over dinner how our youngest sister (aka the bookworm) was the only one who read for enjoyment as a child, teenager, young adult. Now all five of us read for enjoyment. I was the last of seven to get a college degree, I went back at age 49. I will gladly be paying school loans in the afterlife. If only I could have known earlier, much earlier, how much I would love learning and research. My siblings remind me before I went back was not my time. Sidenote, I raised my daughter with the understanding that school lasted 16 years not 12.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(5064 posts)
njny and DD, congratulations. My sister's kids were the first in our family to graduate from college and both have post grad degrees. I sometimes think I might want to go back to school and then I remember that I actually love my life just the way it is. I've had a lot of opportunities most of the people I grew up with, including those in my own family, did not. I suspect it's because of reading, which I learned to do early and kept on doing, even though it wasn't at all common in my neighborhood.

OT - “The pleasures arising from thinking and learning will make us think and learn all the more." Aristotle

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(348 posts)
Exactly my experience NJ. I went back to school at 38.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(1234 posts)
@ good4 and goodgolly and DD: my sibling and i were the first in our family to attain college education and attain credentials beyond the degrees.

we both did so later in life, through our own sweat and extremely hard work. we had a good start through reading and being read to as kids. i was much more of a book nerd (i literally was almost never without a book and had to be yelled at to stop reading—a good problem for parents to have).

i look at my peers, from years later, through the prism of my own experiences and think: i really did alright. i don’t wonder how different my life would have been if i had been able to have the traditional college after high school experience—i really like who i am, and what my life has taught me, even if it has been really hard at times.

when life stops being a challenge, that’s when i will start to worry.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
“Success is not final; failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.”

~ Winston Churchill

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 879  Next »
21 to 30 of 8790
TOPIC: Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.