Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum Questions to writers
TOPIC: Questions to writers
Created by: Robert_Hil
Original Starting post for this thread:
So I have written two books, starting my third and seeking publishers. Any suggestions on where to find the best material to study on writing my inquiry submissions?

I understand to submit to genre related publishers, I understand that I ought to follow their guide lines for submissions and I understand to wait six months for a reply. I also understand to expect no more than 5,000 USD for my first submission.

What I really want to know is how should my inquiry be written?

Additionally any rescources on finding the better agents would be helpful.

It is to my understanding that most agents will not take on new unknown writers suntilthey have a publisher lined up. Is this correct?

I have already miss the bullet with self publishing scams and paying upfront. Learned a good lesson from that mistake.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Just saw this and thought of you, Robert:

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award! The grand prize is a publishing contract with an advance of $50,000.

Moron Buenos Aires Argentina
Username hidden
(467 posts)
You won't see the scrap iron thieves if they rappel down from a stealth helicopter, and escape through a hole they cut in the fence.

Or parachute in, but I kinda like the stealth helicopter idea better.

Good luck with your books though. Seriously.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(4004 posts)
Alright, alright... fine... as always, good luck.

Please don't make me regret getting you that information. Please don't inspire my friend to write me asking if I'm the one who sent a self-defeating marxist into their forum to argue with everyone about everything.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20573 posts)
Yes VA, I have now seen the posting you have made here. Thank you for the information.

As current I am on my iPhone in the mine. Set up where all of the scrap metal is which I must protect. It is dark, I can see head lights. I am parked on the road, so I will see any would be thef as they try to get by.

Got to love planning your ambushes.

As for not replying... Well I don't enter the open forums immediately. Typically I'll view the political fourms first, then the open forums. But thank you again for the intel.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7783 posts)
Jesus Christ .

!!!!!

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20573 posts)
I am thinking maybe he was thinking you would be telling him the check was in your hand , and that you just needed his address to send him the check....

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9730 posts)
lolz

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Did you see this damn post, Robert? I see you posting in other fora - I went through the trouble of contacting a professional, established writer (OK, I've screwed her probably 50 times - but that's beside the point) to answer your question. Could you at least acknowledge that you saw it?

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20573 posts)
Here's her answer, Robert. I had to fudge a few things to protect her privacy etc, but the info is there. Good luck. ------- ""It is to my understanding that most agents will not take on new unknown writers suntilthey have a publisher lined up. Is this correct?"" This is absolutely not true. You'll certainly get an agent's attention with a publisher lined up, but good luck getting the attention of the publisher (most of the big ones won't talk to authors without agents). If you're looking at smaller presses (epublishers, or just small houses), you won't need an agent anyway. So definitely pursue an agent if you want to get in with the Big 6.

Self-publishing isn't necessarily a scam. In fact, it's a very viable option these days. You just need to be able and willing to put A LOT into promotion, and not expect to make a crapload of money immediately. I'm actually looking into self-publishing right now, but I have an established fan-base, so it's worthwhile. Anyway: not necessarily a scam, but a difficult place for a new author to start, so...skipping that is probably a good idea. Moving on.

I would recommend joining ww w.absolutewrite.c om/forums It's a tremendous resource for writers, with thousands of members ranging from newbies to NYT bestsellers. There's a forum specifically devoted to honing your query letter. You'll need a thick skin, as they don't pull punches, but they will help you whip the letter into shape. There are also a bunch of forums dealing with sci-fi, different types of publishing, scams vs real deals, general writing discussion, etc.

For finding agents, I recommend: htt p://agentquery.co m/

Don't *bank* on more than $5-10K for a first advance, but don't assume that's all you'll get, either. One of my friends scored a $750,000 book deal a couple of years ago for her first book (well, 4 books). With foreign rights and such, that deal is well over $1 million now. So you may end up with a few thousand, or you may be able to negotiate for more. Those huge deals are rare, but don't lowball yourself before an offer has been made.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20573 posts)
A good friend of mine is a professional writer with over 50 novels published. Although I'm sure she is hit with questions similar to yours on a regular basis, I'll bounce your question off of her and see what she says. I'll let you know.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20573 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
TOPIC: Questions to writers