Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum One state under God Latest license plate stirs controversy
TOPIC: One state under God Latest license plate stirs controversy
Created by: sa_interracialcpl
Original Starting post for this thread:
AUSTIN -- A controversial new license plate could soon be on Texas roads.

The Board at the Texas Department of Vehicles approved the design during its Thursday meeting. Some say it shouldn’t be connected with the state, calling it disrespectful of religious freedoms. The Calvary Hill plate includes several crosses and the words “One State Under God” along the bottom. It’s one of five plates that the Board approved on Thursday. The other four are for schools or universities. The board debated the Calvary Hill design; eventually approving it in a 4-3 vote. A portion of the proceeds from the sales goes to the groups that presented the plate design. The Calvary Hill plate profits will benefit a non-profit youth organization in East Texas called the “Glory Gang.” It is the second plate design to raise concern over the past month. In November, the Board rejected an application for a plate with the Confederate flag image. The Sons of Confederate Veterans entered the design. The group is now suing the State over the rejection of its application. Those who support the controversial designs says it's part of the First Amendment's right to free speech. Specialty plates are a big source of revenue for the State. Each one costs $55 a year. With more than 73,000 sold since 2009, it’s brought in $7.4 million.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 309   End
User Details are only visible to members.
On the outside chance that a person or two cares about this stuff, here's an update. The Supreme Court this morning ruled in favor of Texas, holding that it had the right to reject a confederate group's submission of a specialty license tag bearing the Confederate battle flag.  

As I predicted earlier, the Court's approach to the case was a First Amendment free speech analysis involving the threshold issue of whether the license plate message was that of the state, or the person who purchased the tag. 

In all honesty, the decision surprised me. I thought it would (and probably should) go the other way. The reason it didn't is because Justice Thomas joined the so-called liberals in the 5-4 decision. 

I haven't read all of the other decisions released today, but one caught my eye. Scalia wrote a stinging concurrence in a criminal case about the Confrontation Clause in which Alito wrote the Court's opinion. Scalia impugned Alito's motives in a way that is pretty rare for any Justice to do. 

Thomas also took a stab at Justice Kennedy in another case. 

Justices be getting testy and ready to adjourn for the summer.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(11922 posts)
Oh no, he's at it again !!

"There's one more terrifying fact about old people: I'm going to be one soon." ~ P.J. O'Rourke

Kernersville NC
Username hidden
(2170 posts)
Btw, an old acquaintance of mine has joined with some other people and organizations to file an Amicus Curiae brief in the case coming before the Supreme Court. It's pretty funny stuff (and I suspect it was written mostly by satirist P. J. O'Rourke.)

It is largely a defense of the first amendment right to be offensive, submitted by people who describe themselves as "equal opportunity offenders." How often does a brief to the Supreme Court cite articles with titles like "Fuck: Word Taboo and Protecting Our First Amendment Liberties"? 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(11922 posts)
ITT 674 days ago, I attempted to explain to one of our Wiki Law School wannabes that the constitutional issue in this controversy was answered more by freedom of speech principles than anything else. It looks like I just might have been correct. 

Later this month the US Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case arising from another decision by Texas' license plate board, at about the same time as the one referenced in the OP. The issues briefed for the Court ALL revolve around exactly what my earlier post said they would be; i.e., whether the message on a specialty license plate is that of the state as opposed to the vehicle owner, and whether such plates are a state-created forum for freedom-of-speech purposes. 

And that idiot said he should send me a bill for the "schooling" he gave me ....

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(11922 posts)
It was the sickle cell gene. It's more common in Southern Europe than in other white populations. Not implausible, but not exactly a reason to declare his "blackness" either.

But, yes, Sicilians are "black" in his mind. And he knows all about enzymes.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22620 posts)
He was also claiming that he's black, because apparently he is a carrier of some enzyme that only black people have. He was whiter than me (if that's possible). And, he had an unbelievable resemblence to Jubba the Hut.

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
"where a team was losing 7-2"

I don't remember PP ever scoring a run, much less two. Not that I bothered much with keeping score.

I think I once mentioned to him that he seemed more intent on putting people down and declaring a verbal victory than in having an actual discussion. Although, it might have been someone else to whom I directed that remark.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(11922 posts)
He had a tendency to not be able to grasp the fine distinction between declaring victory and actually winning.

I think it would be fun if in the 5th inning of a game where a team was losing 7-2, for them to all suddenly cheer like they'd just won the World Series, pack up their shit and leave.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22620 posts)
"Who's PP?"

He was that dood who wasted no time in being as offensive as possible to as many peeps as possible. And then did funny stuff like starting a whole thread to complain about everyone else here in the forums being rude. Lol.

He considered himself an expert on everything, but consistently proved he was a moron on many of those subjects. Such as, his flatly incorrect insistence that Congress (not the states) ratify constitutional amendments, while simultaneously declaring that he "schooled" us on the issue. Lol.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(11922 posts)
I think PP is more a "what" than a "who".

PP: what a little dickey do.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(4925 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 309   End
TOPIC: One state under God Latest license plate stirs controversy