Obesity is sinking America : Swingers Discussion 2007451091
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumObesity is sinking America
TOPIC: Obesity is sinking America
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... More 
Start   91 to 100 of 207   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Given all of the evidence about how increasingly inactive Americans have become over the last few decades, how in the world can anyone attribute weight gain solely to the amount of fat and sugar consumed or to GMO foods? "

Please read my post again. I never claimed it was 'solely' based on anything. I suspect GMO and in particular ROUNDUP gene insertion as an exacerbating factor.

And Americans have become as intellectually lazy as they have become physically lazy....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
OK Ghost if you have some references to peer-reviewed articles critically assessing this issue, I'd honestly take a look. I don't close my mind to anything so long as there's reasoning and science behind it.

As for your case study of one - I'd be willing to believe that a lot more if there were double-blind studies conducted. I'm not saying your fabricating it - I'm saying the placebo effect/power of suggestion can be enormous even in many conditions not thought to be subject to it. You need a double-blind study to find a correlation.

As for the general reason we're fat:

We're fat because we're lazy. We're lazy when it comes to physical activity, but also when it comes to preparing our own food. Mom used to make us all dinner 28 nights a month and we'd go out maybe 2. We want everything ready-to-go, single-course meals that you can nuke. Technology in frozen food, microwaves, and such have made this possible. While it can be very convenient, it becomes something people rely on too much. People don't teach their kids to cook anymore. So when I say we're lazy, I mean we're also likely to just get a candy bar for breakfast instead because we're rushed, tired, underslept and just generally don't care to take the time to have a proper meal.

The physical activity is a combination of things too. Technology has reduced the amount of work we need to do physically. More and more of us have desk jobs, driving or other jobs where we sit. The other part is the PC part - that we're so afraid our poor little kids might get an owie (ow-ee?) that we don't let them climb trees, play baseball, or just fuck off with their friends on a Saturday afternoon to go through shit into the pond or whatever kids used to waste a day doing. Carousels are completely gone from playgrounds, monkey bars are almost all gone, teeter-totters, swingsets are endangered. When I was a kid there was always at least one kid around with a busted arm or something. Now it's very unusual to see people in casts. Not that I want kids to have busted arms - but it shows that kids are not doing the busy, risky stuff we used to do.

As for diet in general - at some point in time the USDA started pounding it into our brains that we need to stop eating fat and increase increase increase our carbs. The low fat nuttiness is still saturating all of the messages we see. People do not appreciate that 100 grams (dry weight) of mashed potatoes is dietically identical to 100 grams of straight-up white table sugar. People got this idea that you can eat all the sugar and starch you want and never get fat, as long as you avoided fat. They were wrong.

So, basically we are lazy in our lives, lazy with our food, and just want something we can open and eat that's yummy.

As for portion sizes increasing - they are doing what consumers want, although that's probably because the consumers themselves already eat more. Restaurant are only recently the common source of food for a lot of people. Restaurants 100 years ago would have served bigger portions too had people demanded them.

But portion sizes haven't gone up everywhere. I've eaten at rather expensive places and am often amazed with how small the portion sizes are. Rather, they are high quality food with rich intense flavors that satisfy you quickly. You don't need a rack of ribs to be "full".

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19790 posts)
Given all of the evidence about how increasingly inactive Americans have become over the last few decades, how in the world can anyone attribute weight gain solely to the amount of fat and sugar consumed or to GMO foods?

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9041 posts)
I agree on the flour and sugar...though we have been consuming flour and sugar and fat for thousands of years....why all of a sudden?

I have IBS and have done extensive research and experimentation on diet. My diet in particular.

When I consume nothing but non-GMO fruits and vegetables, moderate field raised beef and poultry and moderate sweeteners (I prefer local honey, brown sugar and agave nectar) I have noticed strong differences. Even as a single blind (accidental) it proved out for me.

Also, there is mounting evidence (yes, with real honest to god scientists-though they do not agree with you) that the Roundup gene in corn and wheat is causing measurable amounts of 'inflammatory' response in mammals. There is anecdotal evidence in huge quantities, especially in Europe, where it is banned in I believe more countries (or perhaps by population, I don't remember) than it is not. Is that mass hysteria or could there be fire where there is smoke? Here is a list of inflammatory diseases:

Alzheimer's ankylosing spondylitis arthritis (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis) asthma atherosclerosis Crohn's disease colitis dermatitis diverticulitis fibromyalgia hepatitis irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) systemic lupus erythematous (SLE) nephritis Parkinson's disease ulcerative colitis

More and more of the the research is turning up links to GMO and Roundup genes. The problem is that most of the research is industry funded (lord I hope you don't argue that it's unbiased) and any serious independent researcher is desperately trying to fund their work in a school that increasingly gets funding from industry, which insists on defunding other research if the school is to get the funding.

Very slick....

Just because a thing seems tenuous does not mean it's impossible. Why would industry be so fervent about blocking this kind of independent research if all that theirs says is Kosher?

C'mon, you're a scientist. When did this kind of behavior INCREASE our knowledge?

Sorry about no citations tonight...I have two new employees on a new job and the client needs his hand held.

Peace

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
"When we did nothing, we weren't fat."

I wouldn't say we were doing nothing.

For example, when McDonald's started, they only served single burgers with 10-1 patties (10 patties per lb.) Small 2.5 oz. fries. 12 oz. drinks.

What do they serve now?

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
"I have a theory on this and it involves the only thing that has materially changed since then:"

You mean besides the large decrease in fat in our diets and a massive increase in sugar and flour?

Although a lot of people believe in the GMO thing, I do not, and I've never known an educated scientist who does. My experience in this field and my education says no. GMOs didn't make it into the food chain until the late 80s on a small scale, and mid-90s on a large one. The increase in obesity began long before that.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19790 posts)
"Nothing is working. In fact, the opposite is happening. "

I have a theory on this and it involves the only thing that has materially changed since then: Massive amounts of GMO products introduced to the food chain.

Most of Europe bans this stuff....

Of course substituting sugar for fat is dumb as is replacing water with soda as the most consumed drink.

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
"The female half thinks these forums are a waste of time and refuses to participate" Same here.

As for "do nothing" - I argue that might be better than what we're currently doing. When we did nothing, we weren't fat. We began a campaign on fat in food (unique to North America - Europe eats way more fatty food than we do), convinced that fat was the problem. We began controlling school lunches years ago and continue to tighten them. Nothing is working. In fact, the opposite is happening.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19790 posts)
Oh, BTW. I am the male half of this couple. The female half thinks these forums are a waste of time and refuses to participate.. although several comments by fj claiming she does not exist makes my gentle little babygirl want to 'shred his testicles'...lol

I told her not to fret, he HAS no testicles..... ;)

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
Let them eat frosting.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... More 
Start   91 to 100 of 207   End
TOPIC: Obesity is sinking America