Need a geek : Swingers Discussion 413521021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumNeed a geek
TOPIC: Need a geek
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   21 to 30 of 57   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Ok last note, about hardware. Hardware support is really good now, but not 100%. The best thing to do is burn a Knoppix cd, and boot off that distribution. If everything works from the get go, you know you won't have a problem. If it doesn't work, remove the CD and restart your computer. Absolutely nothing is installed on your HD so old system returns upon rebooting.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(9 posts)
Linux distributions have actually become ridiculously easy to install if you go with one of the big ones, e.g., red hat (consumer level = "fedora"), SuSE (now owned by Novell), or Mandrake. Go their sites and search around for "screenshots". They have attractive graphical install programs and when you are done, you have a complete system: OS and all the apps you could ever want. Except games. If you are a hardcore gamer, Linux blows. If by gamer you are thinking "solitaire" - Linux rocks. ;-)

As for case sensitivity, I don't even notice anymore. Truthfully, most everything you might need to do, you can do from a GUI. Linux isn't just for gurus anymore. Even I can get by. ;-) If you want to dabble in the command line, and it is a good thing, you'll quickly become used to case. And, Mischief, if you can dual boot XP and DOS, you'll have no problem tripple booting! Linux distributions all come with a very good boot loader.

On the downside, installing new programs does take a little bit of learning as the process is much different from windows. It isn't hard once you get to understand it -- impossible till then. If you are going to surf the net, read email, write documents and spreadsheets, look at pictures, and stuff like that -- it will all be set up out of the box. If you want to watch DVDs, which requires some illegal decryption, you will have to learn a few tricks about program installation.

Anyway, before this becomes a novel I should note that Mac OSX has a GUI that rules the roost and yet, it works very similarly to linux because underneath, both are unix derivatives. I can open a terminal console in OSX and do all the Linux command line tasks I'm used to doing (not mention run loads of the same GUI apps). I would think OSX would be a good starting point. The GUI will handhold but access to power is there anytime you want.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(9 posts)
Linux, I want to try. I don't have the time currently. I cut my teeth on DOS, but case sensitive Linux makes me think it's a lot of work.

Merely useing Eudora instead of Outlook. Word Perfect instead of Word. Basically avoiding Wintel is the best way to avoid viruses. Shit safer sex for computers.

What about hardware on Linux? Remembers cutting her teeth on IRQ conflicts in the days of old.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Ahhh ... reading over all these trojan/virus/spyware woes makes me glad I'm a Linux kind of guy (and now OSX as well with my new laptop, but macs do have that unix goodness about them just as linux does). So, I'm the guy with a natural immunity to the internet nasties. I haven't had a digital infection since I switched over 4 years ago and I don't even own antivirus software. Viral email attachments are nothing to me but a few wasted bytes in my trash bin.

You guys should give Linux a spin - you can even run an evaluation system 100% off a CD rom. In other words, boot up with the CD, see if you like it (understanding it will run slower than a system installed on a HD because it is running off the CD). If you like it, then install it to your HD for full joy performance. You can even dual boot if you feel the need to engage in risky internet behaviors (i.e., use windows).

Caveat: I'm an OS zealot, and OS is religious. However, if you wish to be saved, google for "ubuntu" or "knoppix". Download the disk image, burn to a CD, reboot with CD in bootable drive. Free as in "gratis" and "freedom". Surf in peace my brothers and sisters.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(9 posts)
Thanks everyone. It's fixed.

ok here's the geeky history.. I want to get Pen hot. ;)

I did the following. I did fix it.

-It couldn't be the BIOS..XP was working. -I reloaded the mouse.dvr -Checked Autoexe.bat and config.sys files. No REM'ed drivers. -Verified win.ini listed the mouse -Attempted to add as a DEVICE the mouse.dvr

What worked? I deleted the nomouse.dvr

I don't know why but it worked.

NJ- Thank for the old advice about renaming the original file with a diff extension. I have used that extensively.

I find the mind very interesting. Let's face it that old DOS, Win3.1 stuff....is OLD. Yet I can pull it out if needed.

What a geek I would have been if I had started at 10!!! I'm sure I would have hacked the hell out of all kinds of things. Starting at 37 is a real disadvantage. If I would ever switch jobs, I would become a computer security geek.

Thanks to everyone. kisses.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Help help.

My CAD program works on Win 3.1

I have a dual boot machine. (XP, 3.1) The program (System Commander) that controls the boot sequence became corrupted. I fixed that problem.

But.. It left me with another serious one. I can't get my mouse to work in 3.1

I have done everything but access the BIOS. The mouse works in XP.

Should I check the BIOS? I tried to get there. Held DEL at boot. No such luck.

HP machine.

Any words of wisdom?

shaking head. Still remembered that old DOS stuff. The brain's not dead yet!

Mischief in computer hell.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Thanks NJC. I got it now.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(17915 posts)
Nope, no tea time.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(17915 posts)
Alright! I have spybot but still have yet to find this tea time that is suppose to come with it. Grrr...

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(17915 posts)
A trojan (named after the infamous Trojan Horse) is a program that allows someone else to take control of your computer or to just record everything that goes on on your computer (including passwords) or to use your computer to do other malicious acts to other computers without your knowledge. I am not sure how reliable Stop Sign is (never used it or read anything about it) but since a Trojan is not a true virus, older versions of virus scanners wouldn't detect them. What I would recommend (and only because I use them on a semi-daily basis) would be to download Ad-Aware Se and Spybot and run both on your computer. Ad-Aware will get rid of trojans, spyware, and a lot of other malicious software. Spybot (when you run the Tea-Timer) will get rid of whatever Ad-Aware misses plus it keeps the software from reinstalling itself (in most cases, but not all). The Tea-Timer basically puts a lock on your registry requiring anything that wants to change it to be approved. Both programs are full free versions, not shareware, and both are available on downloads dot com. Zo

Fort Worth TX
Username hidden
(1223 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   21 to 30 of 57   End
TOPIC: Need a geek