Making water : Swingers Discussion 217751101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumMaking water
TOPIC: Making water
Created by: Robert_Hil
Original Starting post for this thread:
Did you know that when the Hindenburg burned, the hydrogen mixed with oxygen and formed water?

Alone, you cannot force hydrogen and oxygen to become water. You need something to fuse them, like an explosion or fire. This is the chemical formula for creating water has excesses in hydrogen and water. Hydrogen is burnt, oxygen promotes the burning and the release of energy fuse the remaining hydrogen and oxygen.

I found this to be pretty cool.

Some scientist are working in a way to fake the dangerious release of energy and force the two gases to become water. If effective, this ought to allow scientist to produce water on a limited bases. It will not lead to solving our water shortages, namely in places like Africa and the middle east, but it is a step closer for space exploration as you can store these gases and obtain hydrogen cheaply from other sourses.

FYI: I discovered this whole looking up information on waterless showers and sonic showers. I didn't know sonic showers were that under developed. They still can cause a bit of damage to the human body.

But a 22 year old from Africa seems to have invented drybath. Some kind of gel bathing process which is ideal for those areas of the world. He did it on his cell phone, with a high school level edication in chemistry.

A south African did this... And a growing number of our high school students can't even make the cut for college anymore? For get the economic problems we have in the US... It seems the world has already passed us by in the real of edication.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
* So maybe all those squirters are actually burning hydrogen. It's not pee! *

Sentence of the day award!

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
"Or am I off-base - people ARE aware that burning hydrogen makes water, right?"

I seriously doubt most people know that, as there is no need for most people to know that. I'm sure I learned that in school (I had to have 3 semesters of chemistry for computer engineering. It was a complete waste of time), but I've long since forgotten most of that.

So maybe all those squirters are actually burning hydrogen. It's not pee!

Gainesville FL
Username hidden
(1862 posts)
By the way, I'm not trying to be mean here. I just always thought that this might be the only chemical reaction the general public might actually know:

2 H2 + O2 = 2 H2O (should be an arrow but those don't show up here).

No "force" is necessary - there is simply an activation energy to overcome. The activation energy for this reaction is very low, and any spark will do. The reaction will proceed at room temperature if a suitable catalyst is available, such as palladium deposited onto an adsorptive surface such as carbon. I have personally witnessed 3 small fires in my career caused by this reaction happening when we didn't want it to. I was the person behind 2 of the 3.

Don't get caught up in all the youtube videos you're going to find on "cars that run on water" a la Stanley Meyer and other fraudsters. If you need an explanation as to how it's fraud, I'll give it to you once, but I'm not going to argue about it.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18831 posts)
I'll withdraw the word "chutzpah". I have not really used it correctly.

What word best describes the act of finding a widely-known fact to be novel or fascinating?

Or am I off-base - people ARE aware that burning hydrogen makes water, right?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18831 posts)
I believe the correct word for this is "chutzpah", but if I'm misusing it please feel free to correct me.

You are complaining about our education system while simultaneously demonstrating you learned little from it. I'm pretty sure I learned that hydrogen's combustion with oxygen made water when I was around 14 years old, and so did most people. The reaction was discovered perhaps 5 minutes after hydrogen was discovered more than 200 years ago. Hydrogen rockets were the standard on the Space Shuttle, which blasted water exhaust to lift it into space. It's not novel at all.

As for where hydrogen comes from - I've explained this ad nauseum to many people - we get our hydrogen from the water shift reaction with coal. That's right. Coal. All these greenies who think they are riding on hydrogen powered buses are really riding on coal powered buses. It can be made by electrolysis of water too, but that's expensive, and hydrogen only serves as the energy conduit - a hydrogen powered (whatever) is really a nuclear/coal/whatever powered (whatever) - powered by whatever made the electricity. Nothing is ever actually "hydrogen powered". There are solid thermodynamic reasons behind all of this.

I promise you it's far more practical to transport 9 pounds of water than it is to transport 1 pound of liquefied hydrogen. I've gone over the economics (both monetary and chemical) of hydrogen as an energy source many times for people much more willing to listen and they usually still don't get it, so I'm not sure if it's worth doing here. Hydrogen is exciting to politicians and the ignorant public, but not to scientists, except dishonest ones who are looking to make some money by selling "green" coal-powered things to the government.

Did anyone else think this thread would be about taking a leak?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18831 posts)
Did you know that when the Hindenburg burned, the hydrogen mixed with oxygen and formed water?

Alone, you cannot force hydrogen and oxygen to become water. You need something to fuse them, like an explosion or fire. This is the chemical formula for creating water has excesses in hydrogen and water. Hydrogen is burnt, oxygen promotes the burning and the release of energy fuse the remaining hydrogen and oxygen.

I found this to be pretty cool.

Some scientist are working in a way to fake the dangerious release of energy and force the two gases to become water. If effective, this ought to allow scientist to produce water on a limited bases. It will not lead to solving our water shortages, namely in places like Africa and the middle east, but it is a step closer for space exploration as you can store these gases and obtain hydrogen cheaply from other sourses.

FYI: I discovered this whole looking up information on waterless showers and sonic showers. I didn't know sonic showers were that under developed. They still can cause a bit of damage to the human body.

But a 22 year old from Africa seems to have invented drybath. Some kind of gel bathing process which is ideal for those areas of the world. He did it on his cell phone, with a high school level edication in chemistry.

A south African did this... And a growing number of our high school students can't even make the cut for college anymore? For get the economic problems we have in the US... It seems the world has already passed us by in the real of edication.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7264 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: Making water