Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1 ...  1.1  2.1  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  ... 346  Next »
52 to 61 of 3458
User Details are only visible to members.
I don't think the objection is showing the ID more than it is getting the ID in the first place.

Most people just go down to the DMV and have no problem. But without a car and/or the original documents needed, this can be a challenge.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19518 posts)
I've never heard of anyone describe showing an ID as complex or convoluted. I've heard them describe it as racist, unfair, whatever. But not complicated. Any more than having to show ID when you buy beer.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
Ok Scamp,

Deleted it out of consideration for you, which I hope you appreciate. It seemed like a fair question to me and generally non partisan. Vote by mail has been a non issue here in Washington, like legalized gay marriage and pot. Still some people would rather politicize those things too.

I didn't know I had to check with the euphemism police before using the word Byzantine. I don't see most people using it to refer to things actually similar to the Eastern Roman empire, though that's the technical definition in Webster. The second and more common is "2) (of a system or situation) excessively complicated, typically involving a great deal of administrative detail."

I think any governmental system designed to prevent a problem that is, statistically speaking, nonexistent, by making people jump through a lot of hoops fits the second definition of Byzantine pretty well. Wyden's solution struck me as so common sense as to be - watch out guys another big word here - "elegant". Dammit! Sorry. I should have gone with "more good".

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1027 posts)
"Byzantine" used to mean "comparable to the complexities and odd structure of the Byzantine Empire", but has become a synonym for "bad" by people wishing to use a fancier word.

Possibly second only to the word "fascist" on the list of most abused words.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24818 posts)
"Obviously some state legislators love to play games and disenfranchise voters they perceive as hostile to their interests with byzantine voter ID laws"

Voter ID laws are all satisfied by showing a valid drivers license or state issued ID.

You should read a book about the Byzantine Empire before you ever use that word again.

Hilliard OH
Username hidden
(1228 posts)
JW why some insist on posting political themed crap in the open forum.

~S~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3498 posts)
darn HFT.. I was booking the "Red Room" at Eyz Wide Shut... now you tell me its a Rubber Room.... I learn something new everyday.

Brandon FL
Username hidden
(1121 posts)
A: customer service responded today--and the mysterious disappearimg approval box--reappeared.

holy moley there's a TON of new profiles--must be spring fever

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(10328 posts)
For those of you that don't know what a RUBBER ROOM is in New York City school system. It's a place for where suspended teachers go when they have a problem with a student. The teacher reports there every day and hangs out until their case is heard. When it gets close to a hearing the teacher will change Lawyers, that starts their case over and they hang around. One teacher a Lawyer, hung around for 7 years collecting his $101,000.00 salary and running is $7 million real estate investment business. Some teachers retire from the RUBBER ROOM and collect all benefits. Liberalism at its best, again.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2535 posts)
"JW: where did the pic approval thingiemabobber on the home page go? "

I just approved 4 pix.

JW: You miss it? :-)

Charles Town WV
Username hidden
(1663 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  1.1  2.1  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  ... 346  Next »
52 to 61 of 3458
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.