Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just Wondering
GoTo Page: Less ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... More 
Start   231 to 240 of 2875   End
User Details are only visible to members.
When we bought our Toyota Corolla in 2001 I believe it had a 1 million mile timing chain. It was made of a crazy expensive virtually indestructible alloy and the chain itself added 1,800 to the price of the car, but it should outlive the car itself and never need service. I don't know if they still do that.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22423 posts)
NJ,

Depending on the design of the engine, timing belts may or may not ruin your engine if they fail. You will definitely be dead in the water though so it's a good idea to have them replaced at the appropriate maintenance interval. I had a Subaru once with a 60K mile timing belt interval. It went out at 57 K. It was an overhead cam so it didn't ruin the valves or pistons but it went out in Bumfuk Eastern Washington on a hot day.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(428 posts)
Agreed NJ - I miss my old VW Bugs. I fixed everything on them myself with the help of my trusty Chilton Manual and the VW Graveyard/Junkyard that was in the area. Even replaced the fuel tank. Now, you can't even figure out what's wrong without taking the car apart.

My mechanic finally managed to get to work on my car. I was right, it was the fuel pump. He has to take half the car apart to get to it PLUS it's such a bullshit complex piece on my particular make and model that the fix isn't coming cheap.

I may just have to do a little of that Yankee Trading Tigg was talking about after all.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(2001 posts)
apparently the previous owner ascribed to the prolonged periods between oil changes. carfax doesn't include service records. at 100k, it would normally "need" a new timing belt anyways.

so yeah, oil change, tranny oil service, timing belt, new water pump (since they'll be all the waay back there anyway), power steering hose, buncha other belts (don't remember whatall) and so on. basically, my car should run a whole heckuva lot better when i get it back next week. almost new.

i remember fondly the old timing chains we could adjust with timing "guns" and sparks, points, and pins we could change ourselves without having to take the wholedangedengine apart to get to all that stuff. last water pump i changed myself was a long time ago before they started making cars nearly impossible to work on ourselves without serious tools and garage lifts.

planned obsolescence ain't just for small electronics.

Manville NJ
Username hidden
(6415 posts)
prolonged periods between oil changes can damage all internal parts of your engine and cause earlier engine failure.......I change mine every 2500 to 3000 miles and never have any problems.......my diesel has 250000 miles on it too...change you oil more often and you wont have to change your car as often....a oil change at jiffylube got 19.99 is far cheaper than spending thousands on another car......STP oil treatment helps add more time to your car too..........I use the STP oil treatment in my $35000 caterpillar engine in my boat so I know how well it works :)

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(9171 posts)
From my understanding (SA knows much more about this) a timing belt can last a long time, but will wear much worse if a car is allowed to go too long between oil changes. If your car needs it soon, best not to chance it, as the consequence of a timing belt/chain is total ruination of your engine. At least, I think so.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(22423 posts)
this one is too low end to drive for hours in comfort--the hazards of going in late morning & getting one of the last loaners on the lot. pshaw--still a more comfortable ride than the exorbitantly expensive ex's "baby". sorry good--got plans tonight & tomorrow. :*

Manville NJ
Username hidden
(6415 posts)
Loaners are cool- especially if there's unlimited mileage. You could make it to MN and back- if you drive it like you stole it.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(4925 posts)
whoever had the car before me basically ran into the ground so timing belt it is along with a few other goodies and I have a loaner for a few days. whoopie!

Manville NJ
Username hidden
(6415 posts)
I had mine done between 75 and 90k. I understand the problem with having it fail is that it ruins your engine, and guessing the timing of bad timing takes some lucky timing.

BT

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(10184 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... More 
Start   231 to 240 of 2875   End
TOPIC: Just Wondering