Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1 ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ... 463  Next »
231 to 240 of 4626
User Details are only visible to members.
"...forcing them to look out the window ended the argument." (for someone i know that still wouldn't end the argument.)

Well, OK. Truth be told in one case it didn't. I grabbed the wheel. Here was the view: To the right of the mark, three miles of open water all the way to the north shore of Milbanke sound. To the left of the mark was about 250 yards of water to a rocky shoreline that was so thick with kelp beds you could practically walk across. He grudgingly gave in after he had zoomed the GPS chart plotter in and saw that the course line actually skinned the mark to the right. The mark BTW, for those of you from the pre GPS era, was a red nun and we were outbound. That would have been enough of a clue once upon a time.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1770 posts)
First rule of holes...

Stop digging...

(making out royalty check to perf)

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21506 posts)
Have any of you ever been on a boat in the ocean? In the last twenty years? The GPS units are very accurate for getting you back to the harbor in the worst of fogs but are not pinpoint accurate to the point that you dont look out the windshield when driving into the harbor and to the docks. No one uses GPS once they enter the harbor. Its a unit that gets you to the harbor. GPS units also have radar that will paint a very nice picture of oil rigs and windmills on a screen and tell you that they are ahead of your boat.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(4825 posts)
forum newbie who apparently didn't see this Just Wondering thread a mere inch below the thread he started.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(15980 posts)
JW why there's a new Just Wondering thread.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27670 posts)
Yeah, always liked that joke. Black humor at it's finest. Funny thing is, there's an element of truth to it. Like the Honda Point disaster in 1923 when 7 US destroyers ran aground in So Cal because the officers in charge didn't trust newfangled gadgets like the recently installed radio direction finding equipment, preferring to trust dead reckoning for navigation.

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(844 posts)
I always loved that one. Almost certainly not a true story, but that's not to say a similar exchange has never occurred.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27670 posts)
There's that joke, let me find it...

"Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."

Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."

Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21506 posts)
"...forcing them to look out the window ended the argument."

(for someone i know that still wouldn't end the argument.)

hopefully in time to divert crashing!

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(15980 posts)
I was more interested in the idea of a man made hazard to navigation. Sort of like oil rigs which, a google search indicates get hit from time to time. Then there's always the inevitable engine failure plus strong wind scenario.

Add a fool to technology and the main effect is a higher speed collision due to the misplaced confidence it inspires. Twice I've seen a helmsman argue that they were right based on technology - once a radar which showed no other craft in the area, and once a GPS unit that showed they were on the correct side of a buoy. In both cases forcing them to look out the window was enough to end the argument.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1770 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ... 463  Next »
231 to 240 of 4626
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.