Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 435  Next »
21 to 30 of 4347
User Details are only visible to members.
When we moved to Vegas we gave our daughter the mom mobile and bought a Mazda miata.. Never seem to need to fill the tank.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(3244 posts)
I once owned a '69 VW bug. There was a factory sticker on the inside of the gas cap door that said "Minimum 91 octane". Yeah right.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1463 posts)
My Land Rover 93 and it sucks on gas Low 20s on the open road .Wasn't my idea to lease it ,

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(9721 posts)
I have a C230 supercharged 4. Premium Required.

I once owned a turbocharged 3 cylinder Sprint. Regular gas was just fine.

That Sprint was a fun car to drive, but a little scary at high speed. Get above about 90 or so (the speedo only went up to 80, so it's a guess), and the handling would get pretty squirrely...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(20838 posts)
According to a table on Edmunds, they break down cars into "Premium Recommended" and "Premium Required". My X3 is on the "Premium Required".

"If your vehicle is on the "premium recommended" list, you're OK to try switching to regular unleaded gasoline. If, on the other hand, your car is on the "premium required" list, then you have to run premium fuel."

I'm still suspicious that this is just playing it safe, and unless you drive your car hard (conditions likely to induce knock) it will make very little difference.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26431 posts)
If it's turbo charged don't chance it!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6503 posts)
"Some cars require it like turbo charged engines."

Well, mine is a turbo v6. I don't know if it's a sham or what. Turbocharged engines run at higher compressions and at least in principle, this makes them more prone to engine knock and the higher octane thwarts this. Some engines are tuned to run on 87, but some are not.

So I dunno if my 89 minimum is just playing it safe, or if my engine is tuned to require it.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26431 posts)
A lot of European cars that specify what would be mid grade are done so using an octane testing spec that is different from the US market. So for the most part in a lot of those....standard grade is fine....just usually stay with "Tier 1" gas.

Dalton GA
Username hidden
(681 posts)
Some cars require it like turbo charged engines. If your vehicle recommends premium you might be able to get away with a lower grade and lose just a little performance. If you try a lower grade and your engine pings it will hurt your engine. Some cars actually get higher gas mileage with higher octane. Best answer is to just give it a try and see what you get.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6503 posts)
My 2013 BMW X3 says it requires 89 or higher.

So, at least as specified, yes.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26431 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 435  Next »
21 to 30 of 4347
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.