Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1 ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ... 413  Next »
201 to 210 of 4126
User Details are only visible to members.
"But I think the "Men of good judgment" explanation is revisionist bullshit."

You're welcome to think it's bullshit, but it's not revisionist at all. The rationale for the electoral college that I posted, was explicitly the reasoning for it as set forth by the framers. I forget whether it was Madison or Hamilton, but there's a Federalist Paper on the subject that pre-dated the Constitution's ratification. Not exactly "revisionist" if you ask me.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13323 posts)
"I think the second reason that Fun mentioned is still in play."

Not much, IMO, but I won't belabor it here.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13323 posts)
"Fun, I don't see your "bottom 41 states" point as a credible argument at all."

That was me.

But I'm not arguing politics here.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
Oh no in Politics, I gave a very cheeky answer to those who are moaning about it now.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
I think the second reason that Fun mentioned is still in play. Why would anyone give a damn about any of the bottom 41 states when just 9 have more than half of the population? I think there's still an argument to be made there.

But whatever - this ain't politics. I gave a rather cheeky short answer to those unhappy after-the-fact about it, followed by a longer one. I won't repeat them here.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26054 posts)
Ncal : "American public schools are designed to dumb down the students that go there so they become adults with no knowledge. This is so that the only knowledge an adult that went to public school has is what the Democratic controlled media tells them."

Is that why Texas school boards are rewriting history textbooks to revise what is being taught so that anything disparaging of what our white forefathers did is minimized or even falsely revised? Oh, wait, Texas is a mostly Republican state.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11840 posts)
"the only purpose of the electoral college was to equalize the electoral power of slave holding and non slave holding states"

Not exactly. That was accomplished by the three-fifths compromise.

The electoral college was adopted for two reasons: First, because the founders strongly favored a representative democracy over direct popular elections at the national level. They envisioned that Presidential Electors (which most states initially chose through their legislatures instead of by popular vote) would be prominent men of good judgement who would be better able to select a President with admirable qualities. (The same sentiment also was behind the initial manner in which U.S. Senators were chosen, until the 17th Amendment provided for direct popular election).

That justification quickly fell by the wayside, with Electors being chosen not to exercise their independent judgement, but because they were pledged to support a particular candidate for President.

The second reason for the Electoral College was to guard against fears by the smaller states that they would get run over by distant and more populous states. At that time Georgia was one of the smallest states, and they wanted more say-so to stand up to states like PA and NY. Same with small Rhode Island vis-a-vis Virginia, which at the time was the largest state. (The same feeling prompted the creation of a Senate in which the smallest state got the same representation of a large state).

But yeah, the original reasons for the Electoral College no longer exist in practice.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13323 posts)
Rabbit,

Still sounds painful but at least you have a great story. What are you telling your vanilla friends?

I got a major shiner from my dog last week. I've been having fun making up fake explanations.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1304 posts)
NJ,

Considering that the only purpose of the electoral college was to equalize the electoral power of slave holding and non slave holding states, I think it ceased to serve any useful purpose about, oh, say 150 years ago. One of many long overdue constitutional amendments.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1304 posts)
JW - which public school NCal attended

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4131 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ... 413  Next »
201 to 210 of 4126
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.