10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 501  Next »
12 to 21 of 5005
User Details are only visible to members.
It really could have been much better. Obviously I liked the concept of it, but she's just not that good of a writer, and it wanders off too much into preaching rather than storytelling.

Anyway - you don't have to be politically aligned with Dagny to understand her biggest problem. She stays because she believes that people can be reasoned with and will eventually come around if she could just make her argument persuasively enough. She was wrong.

Most good people fall into the same trap, even if their positions are different. They really don't want to take the position of "fuck all y'all". They believe that deep down, people can be reached.

Most of us aren't immune to this. I'm not. I try hard to be, but I fail sometimes.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
You would be correct.

I tried to get through it. I really did. At least twice.

But I found the whole thing an exercise in mental masturbation.

I don't know. Maybe I secretly like pulling the wings off of flies.

Or maybe I am a secret masochist.

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23311 posts)
Why did Dagny stay when everyone else left?

(Not that I imagine you read it - but do you know?)

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
Just wondering why I waste my time in Politics.

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23311 posts)
Re-training for what?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
For me it's more JW why men in coal country continue, as several documentaries have noted, to prefer any opportunity in mining verses programmatic opportunities for re-training. I see the same thing I'm my area with men favoring the timber industry or farming, despite the job insecurity inherent in both. Part of it is definitely a rural ethic that values hard physical labor. This is an ethic that I think is particularly attractive to young men. It was for me.

Though the incidence of a ubiquitous chronic disease like black lung isn't there, both logging and farming are technically more dangerous than mining.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2399 posts)
JW how the sharp rise in complicated (e.g. end stage: get a transplant or wait to die) cases of black lung disease is going to be “spun” by the present....administration, even as they are reviewing the previous administration’s coal dust limits (presumably with the intent of rolling back or otherwise undoing).

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
JW why kids feel like their conversations “must” be conducted at loud volume including screams?

opened windows for fresh air...the not so nostalgic sounds of the neighborhood kids. i do not remember yelling and screaming like that as a young’un. my kiddo didn’t either. not regularly/frequently the way these kids do.

maybe it’s just these kids....i don’t recall hearing this much noise at school playgrounds either.

hopefully it’ll be dinner time soon so they’ll get called inside.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
"convicted to pay"

Freudian, but accurate...

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(23311 posts)
Jus’ wonderin’ how many were convicted to pay for a lifetime membership by the SLS banner about contributing $15 to the tragedy in FL????

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2659 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 501  Next »
12 to 21 of 5005
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.