Just Wondering : Swingers Discussion 212154101061
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumJust Wondering
TOPIC: Just Wondering
GoTo Page: Less ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... More 
Start   1061 to 1070 of 1666   End
User Details are only visible to members.
PG, black pepper is unrelated. It's just a tongue irritant that some people find preferable to bland food.

Appreciating hot peppers (vegetables) allows you to ingest the fruit of the gods. It makes your tummy warm, clears sinuses, makes you feel alive.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I can't stand any sort of hot peppers. I actually don't even like pepper from the pepper mill, it burns my tongue.

PG

Louisville KY

Username hidden
(17030 posts)
Poblanos are fat fuckers, and they have some heat. There are these bloated jalapeno lookalikes that you could just eat like a carrot. I was never able to eat a jalapeno straight, until a few years ago. And now it's like Russian roulette, because you may get a hot one. Even from the same plant.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
That all said....

The growing conditions of a hot pepper significantly influence its heat level. It used to be that jalapenos were grown exclusively in Mexico and Central America. Now some are grow in cooler and wetter climates, which reduces their heat.

So if you're buying them from some organic farm collective in Washington state, they are not going to be anywhere near as awesome as ones grown in, say, Jalisco, Mexico.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17611 posts)
I think what you're speaking of are poblanos. They look very similar but are larger and much milder.

Seriously... I think you're remembering a time when only a few cultivars were commercially sold.. now that more are out there, it's changed your reference points without you realizing it.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17611 posts)
I know for a fact there are now what I call "fake jalapenos". They are shaped like them, tend to be very large, and have no heat whatsoever. They are actually more prolific and early than bell peppers, so I use them the same way.

Since I make my own salsa, and preserve it for year round use, I always have 3 or 4 varieties of hot peppers in the garden: serrano is reliable, chilis and cayennes are usually pretty hot; and a big hot productive and early one called Garden Salsa. It's shaped like the harmless banana pepper, but it's raging.

All peppers, I believe, were once hot. Breeding has created not-hot varieties, and now it's happened to the most traditional hot pepper, the jalapeno.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
You develop a tolerance for that too.

I remember going to Chicago for a conference long ago with a Chinese guy. During our travels we stopped at a 7-11 (serious budget) and got late night hot dogs. He loaded his up with hot peppers, seemingly unaware of their "hot"ness.....

About an hour later he was in agony, clutching his abdomen... I thought we were going to have to take him to a hospital. He has zero tolerance for this.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17611 posts)
Grocery store peppers are usually pretty weak, even the ones with a "spicey" label. If you want mouth-scorching-set-your-ass-on-fire peppers, you need to go somewhere besides Food Lion. Where do you go? Couldn't tell ya since I don't live in your neighborhood. I do know that there was no shortage of hot peppers in SoCal though.

As for how to grow them hot, I couldn't tell you that either. I'm not big on any type of pepper in the 1st place and I'm especially not keen on making things grow besides my wang.

T

Danville PA

Username hidden
(3167 posts)
Jalapenos? maybe some of you love jelapenos but is not health... And one more problem... Whe eat then start problem when use the toilet... Hot.....

Newport News VA

Username hidden
(1038 posts)
"Why and when did they breed the heat out of jalapenos? "

I don't think they've changed. I think we've introduced habanero-based spices a lot more lately, and by comparison, jalapenos seem mild. If you think about it, I remember a time when Tabasco sauce was the gold standard, burn your face off hot sauce. Now, I could drink a shot glass of it no problem. Frank's doesn't seem so hot anymore. I don't think all these things have gotten weak - I think the REALLY hot stuff which has come along has numbed us to the point where the old fire doesn't seem so hot anymore.

You develop tolerance for hot peppers. To someone like Mrs. VA who does not like hot peppers, jalapenos are borderline blazing.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17611 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... More 
Start   1061 to 1070 of 1666   End
TOPIC: Just Wondering