10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
Created by: vabeachcouple33
Original Starting post for this thread:
How long is it going to be until we call "unleaded gasoline" just "gasoline"? People still ask for unleaded gas. A news story I saw this morning mentioned someone buying "unleaded gasoline".

I realize it remains in use in aviation fuel, but are people really afraid of getting leaded gas in the event they do not specify?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 501  Next »
1 to 10 of 5005
User Details are only visible to members.
Understood Ms NJ NY.

After my day yesterday, mowing lawns all day would be nice. Now doing it in 100 degree high humidity day in the summer that may not be too much fun.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2659 posts)
Common core math that is taught in public schools says that equation is wrong. you need to write a story about how the numbers relate to each other or you flunk.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(8251 posts)
I can totally see the appeal of having a low mental-stress physical labor job to some. I used to love mowing my lawn. Not because I loved mowing my lawn, but because it was sort of doing something and doing nothing at the same time. I was accomplishing something but was relatively free to let my mind wander. I had a summer job on a farm as a teenager. I enjoyed the mental clarity and low-stress aspect of it, even though it was grueling physical work.

Some people are well suited for this sort of work. I'm not saying they are dumb by any means - I'm saying that they like the predictability of it and sense of security it gives them. It's why people roof houses, build roads, or do any number of critical jobs that we all depend on.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
@ fokkers: it’s different when people can actually find jobs and rotate through a number of similar jobs in an area.

my response is based on people in jobs/job paths that are becoming gradually obsolete.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
VA- spot on. In my neck of the woods there are quite a few like you describe. They all rotate through the same employers in the area. The pay isn’t too bad, but the working conditions can tend to be indentured servant like.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2659 posts)
dunno but i think the mental stress of chronic underemployment and/or pending (as in, realllllly likely to happen) loss of any employment whatsoever would be a lot higher than the stress of learning a new job and (afterwards) having plenty of opportunities and maybe even job security.

but then again that’s just me.

i do know people who refused to take job offers (good ones) because it “wasn’t what they wanted to do.”

i’d rather work, than not.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18182 posts)
Hank stayed for a while for pussy.

Sometimes the difference between masochism and an unwillingness to accept that a battle is unwinnable is not easy to see.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
Yeah, I can't for the life of me understand why a 45 year old high school dropout who has done manual labor their whole life wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to retrain as a CNC technician.

Seriously? You don't understand that many people become accustomed to work like this and find some security in its familiarity? Not everyone is a polymath looking to broaden their horizons. This world is filled with people who want to go to a job they know how to do without a lot of mental stress, come home, collect their paycheck and feed their family. They aren't interested in becoming a tech.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29230 posts)
"Retrained for what?"

IT technicians, Nursing and CNC machine control technology are chronically undersubscribed classes in my neck of the woods. And there are perennial job openings in these fields that come with decent to excellent pay and good benefits. Though these days with unemployment s near practical zero even in rural areas, the jobs a lot of people take that allow them to work in shops or outdoors in work requiring little training, continually get closer to minimum wage level as the State minimum wage goes up.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2399 posts)
Dagny stayed because she was a narcissist and a masochist. Henry stayed because he had a guilt trip.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2399 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 501  Next »
1 to 10 of 5005
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.